PDA

View Full Version : Gaining fat while bulking?

JConrad
02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Please tell me if this idea is wrong, but my thinking is that to build muscle you need to eat in calorific excess, and if you are gaining flab (a little or a lot) then you must be in calorific excess, correct?
My question is, say you went on a 6 month bulk and in that time you gained half an inch of flab round your waist. All other things being equal, would you gain as much muscle as you would if you had gained 3 inches of flab round your waist?
I suppose what I'm asking is, will putting on more fat also result in more muscle, or does it not matter just so long as you are gaining a little flab to make sure you are eating enough calories?
The thing is i am keeping track of my waistline and while I'm bulking i want my waistline to increase, but only by a very small amount; you see if it increases, even by a little bit then I must surely be eating enough cals. Am I right?
Thanks.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
and if you are gaining flab (a little or a lot) then you must be in calorific excess, correct?Yes.

My question is, say you went on a 6 month bulk and in that time you gained half an inch of flab round your waist. All other things being equal, would you gain as much muscle as you would if you had gained 3 inches of flab round your waist?That depends on your genetics. Generally, you will gain more muscle if you bulk faster, but you gain more fat along for the ride. If you bulk slower, you will gain just as much muscle, but over a longer period of time. You have to figure out if you can handle carrying around a little extra fat when you're bulking or if you'd prefer the slow bulk method, which takes longer, but there's less of an accumulation of body fat.

I suppose what I'm asking is, will putting on more fat also result in more muscle, or does it not matter just so long as you are gaining a little flab to make sure you are eating enough calories?You will gain muscle as long as you're eating enough calories, yes. You will probably gain muscle faster if you're eating a little more. But you don't want to bulk too fast, otherwise you'll just become morbidly obese with a lot of hard work ahead of you when you go on a cut. I'd suggest either a slow or moderate bulk. Nothing too crazy. It just takes so much work to cut if you add a boatload of fat weight on a bulk.

The thing is i am keeping track of my waistline and while I'm bulking i want my waistline to increase, but only by a very small amount; you see if it increases, even by a little bit then I must surely be eating enough cals. Am I right?You should be taking measurements all over your body including caliper readings. I use the numbers on the caliper readings to see if they go up or down...not for body fat percentage. But as for your waist, your waist can get smaller or bigger, depending on how much food you have in your stomach. It's not always accurate. You should multiple means of measuring yourself. If you don't want to add too much fat to your waist, then you probably want to go with the slow bulk method. But it will take longer to put on LBM, unless you're completely new to lifting.

And I think you're over analyzing this. If you're gaining weight/muscle, you're eating enough. If you're not gaining, you're not eating enough and should increase your calories. It's that simple. How much fat you gain depends on how slow or fast you bulk.

JConrad
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
To be honest I'm confused by this. I don't doubt you are right that you will gain more muscle if you put on more flab, but why is this? Surely all that should matter is that you are eating enough cals for muscle building and any cals left over shouldn't matter - be it 500 cals or 1000 cals a day.
Why does the amount of leftover (excess) calories matter to your muscles?
Its weird.

greekboy80
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
^ well, its a very complex situation.

you will gain more muscle if you put on more flab, but why is this?

Not always, it really depends on your genetic make-up. If you were a FFB(former fat boy) you will probably gain more fat rather than muscle...

Why does the amount of leftover (excess) calories matter to your muscles?

Well, it really doesn't. Like before, it really depends on your genetics.

I live by this rule...

FFB = Slow bulk preferred, your body is much more prone to store fat than build muscle.

Hardgainer = Any bulking method is ok. Dirty fast bulk OK...

And there are a bunch in between.

Honestly, its trial and error. See what works best for you.

Howard 9
02-06-2007, 05:16 PM
It really depends if you got a lot of room to put weight on. Like I gained 40 pounds roughly, and I only gained an inch on my waste, but it is not noticeable at all.

JConrad
02-06-2007, 06:05 PM
As a FFB I'm glad that I'm now on a slow bulk. I gained some fat at first but I haven't increased my calorie intake since I started 8 months ago (except for 20 extra grams of daily whey protein) and my new extra muscle is eating the leftover calories so I've kind of moved gradually from a fast bulk to a slow bulk, does that make sense lol?

greekboy80
02-07-2007, 09:14 AM
^ yeah, thats cool...Its really just trial and error. Monitor and adjust, repeat!

I am also a FFB, and I started my slow bulk this past November. I'm 6'2 and started around 203-205, now i'm sitting @ 220-223 and only gained 1" on my waist. I'm really proud of that!

Last year on a dirty bulk I did the same but gained about 2-3" on my waist. I was a FAT-A*S and ended up around 230-235. Hopefully I'll end up around 225, and cut down to around 205-210 and be stacked!

I look much better this year. I feel great, look great and I have about 3 more weeks till I start to cut. I'm gonna rock the V-Diet and try to drop about 15-20 Lbs for my wedding and honeymood June 30th!.