PDA

View Full Version : I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Starting a new journal. Hopefully it will help me reach my goals.

Right now, I'm actually having a tough time.

:cry:

I can't for the life of me drop weight. I keep gaining. I need help trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm at a total loss. Here's my info:

Lifting Routine:
MWF- 30 minute Cardio

I have a Leg day, a Chest/Tri day, a Back/Bi day, and I'll occassionally throw in shoulders and abs on whichever day I want to work them in.

Leg Day:

Squats, 5*5
Leg Press, 3*8
Calf Raises, 1*8, 1*10, 1*12
Prone Leg Curl, 3*8

Chest/Tri:

Bench, 5*5
Slight Incline DB Press, 5*5
Seated Dips, 3*8
Triceps Pushdowns, 3*8
Pec Flies, 3*8

Back/Bi:

T-Bar Row, 3*8
DB Rows, 5*5
Lat Pulldowns, 3*8
Straight BB Curls, 3*8
Hammer Curls, 3*8 each side

After most workouts, I'll do an intense but short cardio session, generally 5 minutes, just to get my heart rate up, and stretch.

Diet is fairly consistent. Dinner is the only thing that varies.

Breakfast is always 2 egg whites wrapped in a flour tortilla with some cheese. Alternate between Yoplait Light yogurt or half of grapefruit.

Lunch is 3-6 oz tuna with buffalo sauce and cheese, wrapped in a tortilla (I like wraps...). I thought I was out of tuna, so I've been subbing with grilled chicken breast instead, about 6 oz. Probably drink a small glass of skim milk with some ovaltine.

If I workout before lunch, mostly on weekends, I'll have a cup of Quaker Oats, with a scoop of PB, a scoop of protein powder, and a little cinnamon. Maybe chopped up apple.

I'm big on eating every few hours so that I don't get too hungry. I have South Beach Diet bars, they have a fair amount of carbs (15g) but they also have 10g protein. Sometimes I'll have a yogurt for snack, or finish off the rest of my grapefruit. I also have apples around the house so I might eat one of those.

Dinner is usually healthy. Lots of chicken, lots of fish, salads, veggies.

I drink water regularly. I go through about 3-16 oz bottles a day on average.

I don't eat sweets, don't have much of a sweet tooth because of the grapefruit and yogurt - keeps my cravings down. I don't eat chips, although I've been craving them pretty bad lately. Minimal red meat. I try to flavor my food with onions, green peppers, tomatoes, things like that.

I had pasta for dinner, because I felt sluggish today, needing to get my blood sugar up a bit.

My fitday for today is:

Total Cals: 1519
Fat: 53g, 474cal, 32%
Carbs: 152g, 569 cal, 39%
Protein: 106g, 426cal, 29%

My protein is a little low today, partially because I did pasta for dinner. I was planning on a high carb day when I cooked dinner, so I know that's off.

I'm 5'5", 151 lbs right now, upwards of 23% BF, and 4 months ago I was 138 pounds.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?

Thanks!
Kimberly

Built
02-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Are you weighing your food and tracking every day?

That would be the very first thing I'd want to see.

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I measure with measuring cups, tuna is out of a can. I haven't been tracking on fitday everyday, but I watch what goes in and how much goes in.

Built
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I measure with measuring cups, tuna is out of a can. I haven't been tracking on fitday everyday, but I watch what goes in and how much goes in.

There's your problem.

So - new plan.

Get a food scale, and start preplanning your days. Try setting your calories at what you had today for example, and keep an iron grip on them. Watch the scale and see what happens over a 2-3 week period.

You might want to read the cardio article I just put up - and perhaps add in hill repeats once a week, and a few sessions of HIIT.

Jordanbcool
02-06-2007, 07:16 PM
I've seen pictures of you before.

Please please please don't cut down to 10%.....Maybe 21% tops.

I personally think you're very sexy at the bodyfat you're at now.

Anyways good luck. I think built has you on the right track.

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
Okay. So- possible meal outline:

M1: 3 egg whites, no cheese, no wrap, tablespoon onions, yogurt
S1: .5 grapefruit
M2: 6 oz tuna, 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce, no cheese, no wrap, apple, 1 scoop protein, 8 oz skim milk
S3: other .5 grapefruit
M3: 1 scoop protein, 8 oz skim milk, 6 oz chicken breast, Veggie (1 cup brocolli or green beans or mixed veggies or a half corn cob or salad with fat free dressing and chopped up veggies and tomatoes), .5 cup brown rice

Fitday with a salad(dressing half fat free half not) would be:

TC: 1381
F: 24g, 220 cal
C: 133g, 482cal
P: 156g, 625cal

My theory behind the post workout cardio is that it gets rid of any fats that I loosened up, "jiggled free" (I don't know the term!) while lifting. I only do five minutes, but I get my heart rate up to at least 28 in my 10 second count (180 bpm). My 30 minute cardios are on the elliptical and it has an adjustable incline. I do the hill climb program, and when I hit the highest incline, it feels like I'm cycling "out of the saddle". During these workouts, I bust my butt, and about half way through my HR reaches 90-95% max HR, around 195 or so.

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6407308.jpg

something like this?

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 07:39 PM
Jordan- that's very nice and I appreciate it very much. I honestly have no clue what my BF% is. If I went back to the same guy, it would be around 30 probably and those pictures are ANCIENT! Like, 15 pounds ago ancient.

And the thing is- I keep making awesome gains in my squats and bench. I'm busting PRs every week. Doesn't that mean I'm eating too much? I'm just so close to throwing in the towel and letting genetics take over.

Built
02-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Okay. So- possible meal outline:

M1: 3 egg whites, no cheese, no wrap, tablespoon onions, yogurt
S1: .5 grapefruit
M2: 6 oz tuna, 1 tablespoon buffalo sauce, no cheese, no wrap, apple, 1 scoop protein, 8 oz skim milk
S3: other .5 grapefruit
M3: 1 scoop protein, 8 oz skim milk, 6 oz chicken breast, Veggie (1 cup brocolli or green beans or mixed veggies or a half corn cob or salad with fat free dressing and chopped up veggies and tomatoes), .5 cup brown rice

Fitday with a salad(dressing half fat free half not) would be:

TC: 1381
F: 24g, 220 cal
C: 133g, 482cal
P: 156g, 625cal

Fats are too low. Read the diet link in my sig.
Cals look low. Try 1500 for a while, WEIGHING YOUR FOOD.
See what happens there. Please.

My theory behind the post workout cardio is that it gets rid of any fats that I loosened up, "jiggled free" (I don't know the term!) while lifting.

Free fatty acids are mobilized by catecholamine released during intense activity. You do steady state cardio afterward to burn them off before they reesterify. Read my cardio article - it's all in there.

I only do five minutes, but I get my heart rate up to at least 28 in my 10 second count (180 bpm).

Wrong strategy. You'll see why.

My 30 minute cardios are on the elliptical and it has an adjustable incline.

Use something else. Elipticals don't burn much.

I do the hill climb program, and when I hit the highest incline, it feels like I'm cycling "out of the saddle". During these workouts, I bust my butt, and about half way through my HR reaches 90-95% max HR, around 195 or so.

Try the hill repeat protocol in my article. Trust me.

<muahahahahahaahahah ... >

Jordan- that's very nice and I appreciate it very much. I honestly have no clue what my BF% is. If I went back to the same guy, it would be around 30 probably and those pictures are ANCIENT! Like, 15 pounds ago ancient.

And the thing is- I keep making awesome gains in my squats and bench. I'm busting PRs every week. Doesn't that mean I'm eating too much? I'm just so close to throwing in the towel and letting genetics take over.

You're making strength gains while gaining weight. You've just discovered what bulking is. Do it when you UNDER eat instead of OVER eat, and you'll discover what cutting is.

Good luck!

:)

hottytoddychick
02-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Fats are too low. Read the diet link in my sig.
Cals look low. Try 1500 for a while, WEIGHING YOUR FOOD.
See what happens there. Please.

Will do. I'll make a trip to Walmart tomorrow. Hopefully they have something.

Free fatty acids are mobilized by catecholamine released during intense activity. You do steady state cardio afterward to burn them off before they reesterify. Read my cardio article - it's all in there.

Wrong strategy. You'll see why.

Use something else. Elipticals don't burn much.

Try the hill repeat protocol in my article. Trust me.

<muahahahahahaahahah ... >

Okay, so from what I understand, and this might be a bit, I'm going to try to really really get it-

HIIT- the higher intensity segments mobilize free fatty acids and increase the amount available to burn during the lower intensity segments? The activation of the AMPK is because the body has no where else to turn for energy, or at least this is the most accessible? AMPK releases FFAs and those get burned off? Struggling with the part about ATP, but ATP is used during the sprints and AMPK is used during the less intense stuff so that saves energy from ATP for the next mini sprint? What is EPOC exactly? Like, how does that work or what benefits does it have? Totally lost on slow-twitch, fast-twitch. The SS post HIIT is what burns off the fat? The HITT is what makes the fats available to be burned?

If I were doing this, the track at the gym is an eighth of a mile. Would running one lap, which, sadly, is a bit of a struggle for me, and then briskly walking a lap for a total of a mile, mile and a half followed by a slow jog quarter mile be accepted as HIIT with SS afterward? Or should I do it by time?

Hill Repeats would simply be on a treadmill, brisk walking? Could I take your 40 minute workout and cut it down to ten for my post workout cardio? Or would that not work the same?

Post workout SS is a good thing, right? So maybe if I upped my PW cardio to ten or fifteen minutes, it would have more of an affect?

You're making strength gains while gaining weight. You've just discovered what bulking is. Do it when you UNDER eat instead of OVER eat, and you'll discover what cutting is.

Good luck!

YAY! I bulked. :burger: = :strong:

Now I want to cut again.
Let's do this. I'm ready to whip my butt back into cut mode.

dw06wu
02-06-2007, 09:25 PM
You might just be hitting some newbie gym gains. Sometimes you will put on mass even if you aren't eating much. At 1500 cals a day, unless you are counting wrong, I can't see you gaining fat.

Jordanbcool
02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
I agree.

Also. I know women have huge problems with water weight while they menstruate. That could be a causing factor.

Regardless of the reason, rapid weight gain and loss on any diet is usually water weight and shouldn't cause worry.

hottytoddychick
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
I also had a question about anemia. I need to go get blood work done, but is there any way an iron deficiency could affect my ability or desire to exercise and lose weight?

Jordanbcool
02-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I also had a question about anemia. I need to go get blood work done, but is there any way an iron deficiency could affect my ability or desire to exercise and lose weight?

Yes.

It could cause depression.

Hatred
02-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I heart JCW? is that JC Whitney?

Kitten
02-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Hotty, are you from Mississippi or just hanging out for school?

Built
02-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Hottoddy - keep it simple. Here's how it makes sense to me:

Intense activity (heavy lifting, sprint intervals) triggers the release of catecholamines, and catecholamines stimulate lipolysis - so after you lift (intense activity), you probably have at least SOME FFAs floating about. If you burn 'em off through steady state cardio, they won't redeposit on your ass. So EITHER do some ss cardio OR do some intervals (to stimulate MORE catecholamine) FOLLOWED by ss cardio after you lift.

Leave the hills for an off-day. You COULD do 'em as you're suggesting (10 minutes worth) after you lift, but personally, I'd be destroyed if I did that.

hottytoddychick
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Hotty, are you from Mississippi or just hanging out for school?

My family is originally from MS, but technically I'm just down here for school. Why?

hottytoddychick
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I heart JCW? is that JC Whitney?

JCW is my boyfriend. Hadn't heard of JC Whitney until I searched it on google.

hottytoddychick
02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Yes.

It could cause depression.

I have a blood work order in the system at school, so anytime I feel like not eating for 8 hours (I have class first thing in the morning- no breakfast isn't much of an option!) then I'll head down there and get my blood sugar, blood iron and some other things checked. I believe it was refered to as an "executive test".

Kitten
02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
My family is originally from MS, but technically I'm just down here for school. Why?

I was born and raised about 30 minutes north of Ole Miss. I haven't seen too many people who know about Hooty Toddy.

teaturtle
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
iron deficiency can cause depression? W-T-F. explain, please..

hottytoddychick
02-11-2007, 07:55 AM

I'm not really sure why, but I've read it in a bunch of articles. Something to do with taking away your energy...

I've kind of slacked off this week, haven't felt too good, but I'm getting back in the gym today and will post workout and fitday tonight. Today's a leg day so I'm excited!!!

teaturtle
02-11-2007, 11:21 AM
leg day for me too, yay!!

Jordanbcool
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm also not sure how or why this happens, just that it does. Often, physical aliments can evolve to include mental aliments. In this case. Her body is suffering from a iron deficiency. So, she becomes lethargic and apathetic. This happens when any valuable nutrient is lacking in a body (if iron can be called nutritious). Thats why people bitch about taking multi's..

hottytoddychick
04-06-2007, 07:46 AM
Changed mind.

Have taken AFAA personal trainer workshop and exam. I get results near the end of May. I feel real good about this, and if I do get certified, I'll work as a PT on campus next fall! YAY!

hottytoddychick
06-04-2007, 06:16 AM
I got my certification! YAY! But I don't know how long it's been since I've been to the gym. I feel like I have the mental motivation, I want it, but I just can't get out there and do it.

I still really want to be a Marine, and I know in order to do that, I really need to step my game up.

Why am I having such a hard time doing this? Maybe I need to start using this thing again...

hottytoddychick
06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
So, I've started running, and I know a lot of people on the forum aren't big fans of SS cardio, but that's what I'm going to have to do in order to pass the PFT.

My goals right now are to score at least a 225 out of 300 on the PFT. (225 is cut off between 1st class and 2nd class)

I found this on a website:

Female Marine Scores

Sit Ups: 1 Point Each - Maximum 100
Flex Arm Hang: 1 Point Per Second For First 40 Seconds
2 Points Up To 70 Seconds Maximum
3 Mile Run: 21:00 Minutes 100 Points
1 Point Deduction For Every 10 Seconds After
31:00 Minutes Or More Fail

I don't want to do the arm hang, I want to actually do pullups, and my goal is only ten, which would give me 50 out of 100 on the pullups. Maxing the situps is a necessity. There is no need not to. Two minutes is plenty of time to get 100 good form situps. And my goal for my three mile run is 18. I understand I can get away with less than that, as a female, but I want to hold my own with the men and prove that, regardless of gender, I have earned the right to be a Marine officer.

So if I do 100 situps, an 18 minute three mile run, and at least ten pullups, I can pull a 250.

I figure if I shoot high then I won't be selling myself short. I'll constantly be pushing myself to do better. If I say, oh I'll just do a 22 minute run, then I won't be motivated to improve.

Unfortunately, I can't do an any second arm hang, much less ten pullups, I haven't tested situps and I can run a mile, painfully, in just over 13 minutes.

Any tips to improve pull up ability? I've already been told to try and pyramid (start with one, work up to max, and then go back down) which I would be doing assisted on a machine.

And does anyone know how to minimize shin splints?

Rock Steady
06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Congrats on the cert!

Built
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Self-assisted chins. Set smith at eye level. Get to "up" any way you can. Lower to a count of five with your feet off or just touching the ground.

Work up to five sets of five. Then try to chin yourself. :)

Built
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Shin splints: you may need to do some tibia work.

Hatred
06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm here. Sorry I took so long
Feel free to change the title to your journal now if you like.

hottytoddychick
06-06-2007, 05:52 PM
RockSteady: Thanks! The gym isn't hiring until late in July, so I'll apply and we'll see how that goes.

Built: Eye level? And what exercises would work the tibia? I'll do some research right now and see if I can find anything.

Hatred: LMAO If I could, I would ;)

EDIT: I looked into it a bit earlier, and decided that because I have incredibly high arches, I overpronate when I run. The site said something about having shock absorbers in the middle of the shoe to stablize my footfalls. You used to run a lot, right? These are the shoes I have now. I haven't had them long, have maybe logged 20 miles of actual running (not elliptical) on them.

http://boles.com/called/nikefree50.jpg

Built
06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Eye-level, correct. Stand to "up" if you need to. Then lift your feet off the ground and lower.

Toe ups for tibialis. You can try holding a dumbbell between your feet off the end of a bench and do them there.

hottytoddychick
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Been watching videos on youtube. And now that I have digested my dinner sufficiently, my ass is going running.

i'm so excited!

hottytoddychick
06-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I just shaved 46 seconds off my mile! Went from 13:12 yesterday to 12:28 today. I still have a long road ahead of me...

hottytoddychick
06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Ran yesterday. One mile in 11:37. YAY! Next run, I'm setting the speed at a comfy 4.5 mph and going the full three. Hopefully without throwing up.

Lifted today for the first time in a while. Chest and tri.

Bench:
2*8: 45, 55 1*5: 65 1*5 60 (couldn't finish with 65, so I dropped weight and added reps to make up for it)

DB Press:
2*8: 15, 20 1*12 20

Skull Crushers:
3*8: EZCurl Bar, +5, +5

Cable Pulldowns:
3*8: 60, 65, 65

Pec Fly:
3*8: 40, 50, 50

Tomorrow is leg day. I'm excited and nervous. Definitely going to run first, hopefully the day after will be the only day I'm too sore to run. Probably going to do abs tomorrow also.

hottytoddychick
06-19-2007, 09:55 PM
No leg day today. Couldn't fit it in with studying for my lab practical. Anatomy and Physiology. Fun.

Sucked it up and set the treadmill to a steady weight. Did 4.5 mph. Ran the full three miles without stopping. Slowed occassionally to drink, though, but kept at a solid powerwalk. Took 41 minutes, even. I definitely did not know I had that in me. Tomorrow, 3 miles @ 4.7 mph. Hopefully by this weekend I'll be doing 5.0 with no problems.

My goal is 18 minutes. That means I need to run at a steady 10mph for the full three miles. I need speed at 230% of current and time at 57% of current. I got bored in class today. That, and I'm just a math nerd.

Getting legs in tomorrow. After my run. Looking forward to it. Leg day has always been my favorite day

Sensei
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't for the life of me drop weight. I keep gaining. I need help trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm at a total loss.

Diet is fairly consistent. Dinner is the only thing that varies.

Breakfast is always 2 egg whites wrapped in a flour tortilla with some cheese. Alternate between Yoplait Light yogurt or half of grapefruit.

Lunch is 3-6 oz tuna with buffalo sauce and cheese, wrapped in a tortilla (I like wraps...). I thought I was out of tuna, so I've been subbing with grilled chicken breast instead, about 6 oz. Probably drink a small glass of skim milk with some ovaltine.

If I workout before lunch, mostly on weekends, I'll have a cup of Quaker Oats, with a scoop of PB, a scoop of protein powder, and a little cinnamon. Maybe chopped up apple.

I'm big on eating every few hours so that I don't get too hungry. I have South Beach Diet bars, they have a fair amount of carbs (15g) but they also have 10g protein. Sometimes I'll have a yogurt for snack, or finish off the rest of my grapefruit. I also have apples around the house so I might eat one of those.

Dinner is usually healthy. Lots of chicken, lots of fish, salads, veggies.

I drink water regularly. I go through about 3-16 oz bottles a day on average.

I don't eat sweets, don't have much of a sweet tooth because of the grapefruit and yogurt - keeps my cravings down. I don't eat chips, although I've been craving them pretty bad lately. Minimal red meat. I try to flavor my food with onions, green peppers, tomatoes, things like that.
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but if you can't lose weight, you are eating too much.

Anybody who's read any post I've ever made about diet knows that I'm really against micromanaging what you eat, but since you already have a highly structured diet, why don't you just try dropping something for a week or two (for example, the South Beach bars) and see where that takes you?

Built
06-19-2007, 11:50 PM
And I'm all for micromanaging what you eat if it means you finally get to the bottom of it.

I wish I could drop weight without weighing my food ... but I cannot. So I suck it up and do the evil deed.

www.fitday.com for a week. Take an inventory, see what your average calories are. Then drop 'em by 20%.

There are a million ways to diet down. Link in my sig says how I do it.

hottytoddychick
06-20-2007, 05:59 AM
Wow. That was a long time ago.

Right now, I'm worried so much about the weight. And I really don't want to cut out any calories because I need all the energy I can come up with. As I get more and more into my running routine, my metabolism should go up, I'll still be lifting weights as well, and as long as I don't pig out, I should slowly lose some weight. And if I don't, oh well. I just can't risk not having enough energy right now. I don't have long to get my time down on my run, and then transition to running outside in what feels like 100% humidity and 95 degree heat.

And just for the record, I don't buy the bars anymore. I eat cereal for breakfast, with a fruit, usually have a sandwich for lunch, with a fruit, or if I'm in a hurry, grab a salad at a fastfood place- always low cal dressing. Dinner is some form of protein. Still lots of water. Maybe closer to 5-16 oz bottles a day. I try to use dry beans and brown rice and I always steam any vegetables that are "steamable."

I'll post a fitday for today later tonight.

And Sensei- your signature helped me a lot when I was starting to squat. Thanks!

Sensei
06-20-2007, 07:40 AM
hottytottychick,
I didn't realize that the beginning of the log was 4 months ago. Sorry the reply is so late.

And I'm all for micromanaging what you eat if it means you finally get to the bottom of it.

I wish I could drop weight without weighing my food ... but I cannot. So I suck it up and do the evil deed.

www.fitday.com for a week. Take an inventory, see what your average calories are. Then drop 'em by 20%.

There are a million ways to diet down. Link in my sig says how I do it.I was just offering an alternative perspective on weight loss. You mention often that you're lazy, but you spend a lot of time on diet measurements and calculations and - There's NO WAY I could sustain anything close to the amount of effort neccessary to do that.

Built
06-21-2007, 12:39 AM
Sensei, my diet takes me all of a minute a day to plan, and about five minutes a day to weigh out. I've done it for so long it's instinct. I have no internal satiety indicator, and my eye does NOT measure well. If I had some better, easier way to do this, I would, believe me. I loved Atkins when I did it because it was brainless, and comfortable. It just didn't get me past "no longer overweight". It got me to "normal" and kept me there, which was miracle enough in and of itself, but ... well, I wanted more more more...

Hot toddy, running will NOT speed up your metabolism. If anything, it will slow it down.

I bet we could tighten up your diet by switching up the mix. Do NOT try to exercise off your weight. It's futile.

Sensei
06-21-2007, 01:30 AM
If you can measure, track, calculate, weigh, plan your diet, not to mention the study you have given to the subject, in all of 6mins/day, then more power to you. I'm not saying your way doesn't work, ALL I'm saying is that most people don't need that attention to detail - they just need to eat better and less.

hottytoddychick
06-21-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm not actively trying to lose weight right now. I just need to be able to run those three damned miles. And do pull-ups.

Now I'm really regretting not running or lifting yesterday. My roomie works all over the south during the summer and she came in yesterday, so we hung out.

I was going to keep setting the the treadmill for three miles and just increase the speed. I think, instead, I'm going to set the time for fourty minutes and increase the speed and just see how far I can eventually go. In theory, if I can run 6 miles in 40 minutes, which at a steady speed would give me 3 miles in 20 minutes, then I should have enough something in me to maybe chop off another couple of minutes since I won't need the energy for another 3 miles afterwards.

Built
06-22-2007, 01:43 AM
If you can measure, track, calculate, weigh, plan your diet, not to mention the study you have given to the subject, in all of 6mins/day, then more power to you. I'm not saying your way doesn't work, ALL I'm saying is that most people don't need that attention to detail - they just need to eat better and less.

I agree. If I COULD do it any other way and make it work, I would. I tried it your way for about 20 years. I got up to 40% bodyfat, but I really tried!

So far, I have two options:
1. eat to satiety and become morbidly obese, go on liptor and back on Metformin.
2. spend 5 minutes a day tracking and weighing out my portions, now that I know how to do it.

hottytoddychick
06-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Did back and bi yesterday.

TBar: 3*8, bar+25, bar+25, bar+27.5
Assisted Pullups: Lifting 65 lbs of bw: 6, 5, 5
Shrugs: 3*12, 15 lb DB
BB Curls: 3*8, 30
DB Curls: 3*8, 15 each

Need to get my ass moving today. I have to clean house because my brother is coming to visit and I have two finals on Monday so I don't know how I'm going to fit that in, but I'll find a way.

Just sent the OSA an email. I'm really nervous about getting a reply back.

mickyjune26
06-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Hottytoddychick - good luck on the strength and speed gains. Are you still interested in joining the marines? If so, what are the physical requirements to get in?

hottytoddychick
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/l/blfitmale.htm

That site has some good info. Depending on whether you are interested in a commission or enlistment, go find a recruiting station. They do enlistments but can probably give you the information for the Officer Program that is in your area.

mickyjune26
06-24-2007, 08:48 AM
What are your thoughts on men and women being held to different fitness standards?

I'm honestly not trying to start an argument or anything. I'm just curious what a woman's opinion on the subject may be. :)

hottytoddychick
06-25-2007, 06:33 AM
I personally think it's crap. I can understand some of the reasons why women aren't allowed to do certain things, and although I don't like being told I can't just because I'm a girl, I have to agree with the reasoning behind it. I don't necessarily mean anything related to fitness by this. For example, women can't drive tanks in combat because it alters the mood in the tank. That doesn't really affect me since officers don't drive them period, but just a for instance.

I'd been training to do pullups, thinking that girls have the option between arm hang and pullups. Wrong. Girls are only allowed to do the arm hang, which I think is crap.

I don't think it necessarily gives girls an advantage. In general, a girl giving everything she has cannot perform as well as a man giving everything he has. Especially on strength performances. That's just because of testosterone. However, I firmly believe a girl like Built could give those guys a pretty damn good run for their money.

I know as a girl I don't have to come up with the numbers and times same as the guys I'll be with, but I want to prove to myself that I deserve to be out there with them, which is part of why I have my run so fast. As a girl, I get 100 points for a 21 minute run, and can never earn any more than that, so it's technically pointless to do it three minutes faster. For me, more than anything, it's a pride thing.

My dad was in the Marines for 20 years, and he feels very strongly about a woman's role in the Corps. You've seen Forrest Gump, right? How he carries everyone out of the jungle in Vietnam? An average woman is not capable of doing that to ten or fifteen or however many guys it was. A lot of women will intentionally get pregnant when they find out they have been called to a war zone. Things like that I agree with. Doing that is crap. If you don't want to risk your life on the front lines, don't join the military. It's that simple.

But there's no reason why a woman can't shoot as well as, if not better than, a man. Or navigate as well. Women can have just as much leadership skills and can react better in stressful situations. It just depends on their attitude.

I know that's more than you asked for, but I just needed to get that all out there.

mickyjune26
06-25-2007, 06:44 AM
That's cool. I want to see you beat the men's 100 point mark. Maybe after you hang, you can ask permission to do 20 pullups. :)

hottytoddychick
06-26-2007, 08:49 AM
What I wouldn't give to do 20 pullups. I'm no where near that strong right now.

Once my brother leaves town, I'm diving in head first and not looking back.

hottytoddychick
06-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Woke up early this morning to work out before class. Got to the gym around 0615 and it felt AWESOME! I haven't felt that awake and alive that early in the morning in a long time.

I ran a mile, at a slow pace, just to run it. Then lifted for leg day.

Squats: 5*5- 45, 60, 65, 80, 85 (Personal Best)
Leg Press: 3*8- 135, 145, 145
Calf Raises: 3*12- 225
Prone Leg Curl: 3*6- 55, 60, 65

Probably head out and run again later. I'm sure I'll have free time.

hottytoddychick
06-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Yay! i just got back from running. Didn't time it, but I did run outside. That was brutal! It's so freakin' humid! Ran two miles, and I did stop some, but I'm still proud of myself because I am sore as all get out from leg day yesterday.

And I ordered a baked potato and salad at wendy's instead of getting chicken nuggets and fries. And I"m getting a salad for dinner, with a water, not a sweet tea. And I'm going to a party and not drinking anything, except water or diet soda and no one has to know there isn't any alcohol in it. :alcoholic

I totally rock right now!

hottytoddychick
07-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Back and Bi today. It's a miracle I made it out of bed. My legs are beyond killing me.

Seated Row: 8 @ 50, 12 @ 50, 8 @ 60
DB Row: 8 @ 20, 8 @ 25, 8 @ 30
Played around with pullups and hangs. Nothing really to write.
BB Curls: 3*8 @ 30
DB Curls 2*8 @ 5 ea.

Now I'm going to curl up on the couch with a bottle of water and a fingerful of peanut butter and enjoy my tv.

hottytoddychick
07-04-2007, 07:56 AM
I've been out of commission for a few days, because I can barely even walk! But the most awesome-est thing happened last night. I was walking by a mirror in my apartment, and saw my hammies! not fat surrounding them, but the actual curve of the muscle. It was way awesome!