PDA

View Full Version : good replacement for soda? (besides water)

thesmallone
02-07-2007, 04:28 AM
i like my drink with a lil flavor but, pepsi is gonna be the death of me if i dont kick the habit soon....would it be ok to drink gatorad just like most people drink soda...with meals and such, i hate water!

isosceles
02-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Uhhh to give you a short answer... NO!! Gatorade has a lot of sugar and stuff that you do NOT need, the only time I drink it is after a soccer game or other types of extended cardio because it will supply you with electrolytes. Milk is a pretty good one, and as much as you may not like it, water is basically vital.

Cirino83
02-07-2007, 08:25 AM
http://www.cvcoffee.com/prod_images_blowup/Crystal-Light-Blow-Up-Image1.jpg

Unreal
02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Diet soda, tea, coffee, crystal light.

Justin R
02-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm not a huge fan of water either, when I'm not training. I replaced soda with carbonated/soda water w/ lime. Refreshing like soda, without all the sugar or caffeine.

Teufelhund
02-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Water is your friend. Learn to like it. There are plenty of substitutes for soda, but no substitute for water.

Squirt some lemon juice concentrate in there or add a splash of cranberry juice if you feel like the water has a bad taste.

Optimum08
02-07-2007, 03:36 PM
there is no replacement for water. but i incorporate a diet soda every once in a while. also really love the new Lipton Diet Green Tea with citrus that they sell. absolutely delicious.

stevec087
02-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Try Propel, its a flavored water with minerals and vitamins and it tastes great! It's made by Gatorade too, so you know your getting great stuff.

TexasDevil
02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
AWWWW gatorade is bad? crap i love that stuff especially in the morning

getfit
02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
add a little crystal light

Ti1301
02-08-2007, 01:58 PM
what about cranberry juice, watered down.

zen
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
I kicked the soda habit about a month ago. I have been drinking tea during the day and water in the evenings.

darray
02-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah pops a killer for calories

I have to agree with getfit, Unreal and Cirino83, crystal light is your path to freedom from pop my friend

BCorn
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
What about the energy drinks. the lo carb monster and lo carb rockstar are pretty good. virtually no calories, sugar, or carbs.

RenegadeOfFunk
02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Dragged this from bodybuilding.com keto forum -

"The nutrasweet in diet soda causes an insulin reaction in your body.
In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.
"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day,"
Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet) shuts down the Krebs cycle, i.e. the fat-burning function in the body, and clogs the receptor sites that need to be open and 'antagonized' to burn fat.
Sucralose (Splenda, etc.) is simply chlorinated sugar. Anything ending in 'ose' is a sugar, and will likely be 'processed' as a sugar.

Insulin counteracts sugar ingestion and manages the energy production of sugar, but when secreted in large amounts (following ingestion of large amounts of sugar), it is destructive to muscles, the heart and other organs. Think steroids...insulin is the most powerful built-in steroid. To fully appreciate the body's response to insulin, it is equally important to know that insulin is the most fat-producing hormone in the body. Another thing the over-production of insulin does is shut down your metabolism, totally ruining your body's timing and ability to burn stored energy - fat. The increase of insulin will also cause an increase of bad triglycerides, which clog arteries.
So, essentially, refined sugar is, get this...a revelation for some...NOT HEALTHY. Fruits and natural sugars (real maple syrup, pure honey) are the only healthy sugars, but still should be consumed in small amounts."

What are people's thoughts on this?

Questor
02-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Just drink water and get used to it. After a while you like it.

greekboy80
02-09-2007, 09:39 AM
^ - Seriously, It tastes like nothing, how can you not like it. You literally drinking nothing. Its like saying, i dont like breathing regular air cause it smells like nothing.

Quit being a baby and drink it...

zen
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
^ - Seriously, It tastes like nothing, how can you not like it. You literally drinking nothing. Its like saying, i dont like breathing regular air cause it smells like nothing.

Quit being a baby and drink it...

:lol:

Not to be argumentative, but different air has different smells. I'll take a fresh pine forest air over landfill/waste water treatment air any day.

After you have been drinking water for a while, you realize that it does have some taste... mostly because of the minerals and salts it has in it, and how it was treated. Some people can even tell if it came through copper, iron, or pvc plumbing.

It was hard for me to quit soda straight to water. Tea, atleast, has flavor, even if it doesn't have calories. Green tea has antixoidants and helps kick up the metabolism.
Now that I have been drinking tea for a while, and got away from the desire for carbonation and sugar, water is an easy transition.

Cirino83
02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
^^ I agree. I can definately tell the difference in taste between waters. Tap water and bottled water is pretty different tasting to me and the only bottled water I like to drink is Polan Springs and Aquafina. Dasani is crap IMO. Luckily I never was a big soda drinker and the only time I ever have it is with liquor.

Vapour Trails
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Dragged this from bodybuilding.com keto forum -

"The nutrasweet in diet soda causes an insulin reaction in your body.
In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.
"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day,"
Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet) shuts down the Krebs cycle, i.e. the fat-burning function in the body, and clogs the receptor sites that need to be open and 'antagonized' to burn fat.
Sucralose (Splenda, etc.) is simply chlorinated sugar. Anything ending in 'ose' is a sugar, and will likely be 'processed' as a sugar.

the only healthy sugars, but still should be consumed in small amounts."

What are people's thoughts on this?

The above is complete rubbish. Increased risk of obesity from a product that has zero calories? Ok

I lose fat just fine on low cals/carbs and 3-4 can of coke zero a day.

Sucralose can't be processed by the body, hence why it has zero calories as well.

RenegadeOfFunk
02-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Aye, the impression i got was that it acts as an antagonist, triggering certain functions while contributing little to no energy to the body. As such, it is possible that it conduces those effects if consumed.

If this seems implausible, think drugs.

the doc
02-12-2007, 10:02 AM
bb.com is great source for rubbish

Vapour Trails
02-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Aye, the impression i got was that it acts as an antagonist, triggering certain functions while contributing little to no energy to the body. As such, it is possible that it conduces those effects if consumed.

If this seems implausible, think drugs.

Aspartame does not raise insulin in non-diabetics. I checked this out over the weekend. Basically everything in that post you copied from BB.com is a lie.

It does not stop fat burning either. Aspartame is just a dipeptide, if causes fat burning to come to a halt, then so does consuming protein.

Do yourself a favor and never go on bb.com

Vapour Trails
02-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I told you the answers...

Aspartame does not raise insulin levels.
It does not block fat burining.
Insulin is not a steroid.
It's all lies buddy
Go search pubmed and find the rest out yourself

Scooter
02-13-2007, 11:13 AM
bb.com is great source for rubbish

I was about to say the same thing. Every time I go to that site there is another :newbie: getting bad advice.

McIrish
02-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Green tea FTW!

MagnaSephiroth
02-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Sparkling water was my solution off of soda. You still get that fizz you like and it has zero calories. You can get different flavors too :) Eventually you will be able to kick carbonation for good.

whiteman90909
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM
Squirt some lemon juice concentrate in there or add a splash of cranberry juice if you feel like the water has a bad taste.

what about cranberry juice, watered down.

Seltzer water with a bit of cranberry juice= :drooling:
(It is amazing)

americanwit
02-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Safeway has this carbonated water that I'm sure most supermarkets have, get the black cherry, it's really good.