PDA

View Full Version : How long to bulk for?

SaintGJR
02-07-2007, 04:38 AM
Hi everyone - i am bulking now and i plan on bulking for around 12 weeks and then cutting for around 10 weeks as this will bring me upto my holiday in August.

Is bulking for 12 weeks good? My diet is good and you guys here have helped with the routine so all should be good - but i was speaking to someone earlier who said bulking for 12 weeks is pretty pointless. :confused::confused::confused:

I dis-agreed and said that whilst i probably cant add that much mass in 12 weeks - im sure i can add some decent mass and make it so it isnt a pointless exercise.

Would you guys agree?

Thanks.

krboyd7
02-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Adding muscular mass is a long process, it can take a month to put on a lb of lean mass with a perfect diet.

12 weeks is not long really,but on the upside and lb gained is a bonus.

Do what you have to.

greekboy80
02-07-2007, 09:20 AM
^ yeah, what he said...

Also, bulk till you get to a point where it wont take you a year to get back down to a healthy, good looking weight.

If you drop weight easy, you could go longer, if its hard for you to get weight off, go on a shorter bulk...

etc...

RenegadeOfFunk
02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
I added 14lbs of mass in 14 weeks, ate like a complete hog though.

SaintGJR
02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Ah right sounds good - i will be eating well myself - all clean though - i will just have to train hard - eat well and see how i go. I personally dont think bulking for 12 weeks is pointless - i think its a good idea.

RenegadeOfFunk
02-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Best of luck with your goals, the problem i now face is cutting. Composition of muscle:fat added was 1:1.5, bit depressing :D Slow bulking is the way to go, i think. Have you heard of microcycles?

SaintGJR
02-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks - i havent heard of them but i guess they are smaller cycles of bulking and cutting to keep bodyfat in check maybe (at a guess)?

Good luck with your cutting - i think i can make some decent progress in 12 weeks - it will be nice to up the calories anyway.

JConrad
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
From my past experience of losing weight (this was before I ever did any weight training) I was able to lose bodyfat very easily. Generally speaking, does this mean that I will find it easy to lose weight on a cut? (I have never cut before).

RenegadeOfFunk
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
It's a short term overloading of the CNS to maximise muscle growth. Not too sure about the pitfalls and such, but check em out. Might help ye ;)

SaintGJR
02-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I havent bulked for a while so i am looking forward to the increase in calories.