PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for westside?

mickyjune26
02-07-2007, 10:03 AM
i ask this in fear that i'm beating a dead horse, but i'm not sure.

Am i ready for westside, as describe in the WBB article:

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

I want to compete in a powerlifting meet in 2008. My goal is 325 bench, 425 squat, and 500 deads. I'm currently at 225 bench, 225+ squat, and 315 deads. I've been lifting on and off for 3 years. I weigh around 205 and am 6'7".

Mike G
02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
I think anyone is ready to use Westside that has an understanding of how to do it. It's when you start to focus on weak areas that you need more experience. Mainly because most people need a good base to find out what is lagging. I could be wrong, but that is what I have been told and experienced.

mickyjune26
02-07-2007, 11:29 AM
i agree, because when I saw that powerlifters do a lot of core work, I was really excited. My core is the weakest part of my squat...ie getting out of the hole.

Sidior
02-07-2007, 11:34 AM
When I started powerlifting I jumped right into westside. It was alot of fun but I put too much emphasis on accessory work and big 3 variations instead of directly training the big 3. For someone new to powerlifting make sure to focus on the big 3 more than anything. Also certain exercises are more beneficial to equipped lifting than raw lifting. Decide what you will be competing in first (ie raw, single ply, double ply whatever), then adjust your training accordingly.

dw06wu
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I think the thing is, you're fine doing westside if you get the program figured out and you do it correctly. But, you can have just as good gains with an easier routine. That's where you're at right now.

Mike G
02-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I think the thing is, you're fine doing westside if you get the program figured out and you do it correctly. But, you can have just as good gains with an easier routine. That's where you're at right now.

When would he be ready then? What guidelines are there? The basic Westside template is very easy to follow. Once you start to develop weak portions of a lift, you work on them. Like Sidior said, focus on the big three, but that doesn't mean you can't follow the Westside principals. You just use the main three lifts as your ME more often than the advanced guys. If you follow the basic template and do some reading, it doesn't get much easier. Once you start to learn what works best for you, you adjust. If I am way off, please explain it to me. I have read a lot of articles and listened to some of the guys on here who follow Westside and that is what I have taken from it.

EDIT: Big three and variations of them. No need to get too complicated.

RedSpikeyThing
02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
You just use the main three lifts as your ME more often than the advanced guys.

I agree in principle, but it doesn't quite work that way. The idea behind Westside is that you have different ME exercises so that you don't over train the big 3. I took your approach for a few months last year and progressed, but not as much as I could have. I think if you're going to do the big 3 more often than the Westside template calls for, you should be hitting some doubles and triples on ME, rather than always trying for a max single.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't the pros work the big 3 all the time if they could? Everyone can improve their form.

RhodeHouse
02-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Start training Westside. You need to learn how it works and why it works. It'll take some time. Westside is VERY simple. People make it into more than it really is. Here's Westside in a nutshell:

Dynamic Effort - BE FAST

Max Effort - GO HEAVY!

Repetition Method - Build some muscle

All the variations are cool, but don't get caught up in them. Choose 4 bench variations and stick with them for 3-4 cycles 3-4 months) Choose 2 Squat variation, 2 DL variations and 2 GM variations. If they work, don't cahnge them. Read all you can about the training at EliteFTS.com. Get after it, Bro SFW!

Mike G
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
I agree in principle, but it doesn't quite work that way. The idea behind Westside is that you have different ME exercises so that you don't over train the big 3. I took your approach for a few months last year and progressed, but not as much as I could have. I think if you're going to do the big 3 more often than the Westside template calls for, you should be hitting some doubles and triples on ME, rather than always trying for a max single.

EDIT: Also, wouldn't the pros work the big 3 all the time if they could? Everyone can improve their form.

More often doesn't mean solely. I used GM's as my ME for 50% instead of 70%. I used squats and deads the other 50% and improved a lot in a few months. I should have specified and said big three variations and maybe that is where we disagree. This was after talking to Drew and reading many articles on elitefts and westsidebarbell. The advanced can't do them as often as a beginner because they have specific weaknesses. A beginner is just weak. I really am not following what your edit has to do with my post, but they probably would, but they can't. Either way, I think anyone can follow Westside, like rhodehouse said. It's not that complicated and if you are willing to read and learn in the gym, it is as easy as most routines to follow and usually produces better results.

WastelndSoldier
02-07-2007, 08:06 PM
I weigh around 205 and am 6'7".

Whoa. Your avatar's fitting then.

RedSpikeyThing
02-07-2007, 08:09 PM
More often doesn't mean solely. I used GM's as my ME for 50% instead of 70%. I used squats and deads the other 50% and improved a lot in a few months. I should have specified and said big three variations and maybe that is where we disagree. This was after talking to Drew and reading many articles on elitefts and westsidebarbell. The advanced can't do them as often as a beginner because they have specific weaknesses. A beginner is just weak. I really am not following what your edit has to do with my post, but they probably would, but they can't. Either way, I think anyone can follow Westside, like rhodehouse said. It's not that complicated and if you are willing to read and learn in the gym, it is as easy as most routines to follow and usually produces better results.

Ok, now I understand. I thought you were implying he should do only the big 3. I also like your point about being weak everywhere, as opposed to having weaknesses. Personally, I think that's what I wrong - I tried to focus on training up weaknesses as per the Westside template, when I should have just been doing the damn lift.

mickyjune26
02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
thanks for all the advice. I've read your suggestions, read over the routines again, and thought about this for a while. I almost made it too complicated. I've simplified it. i still need the supp exercises and want to do DE / ME mix.

I added squats and Deads to ME day, because I want to test those maxes each week, just like the routine suggests for the bench. I think the original routine doesn't do this, because it is targeting mid to adv powerlifters, not newbies like me. If my body doesn't like maxing out on squats and deads each week, I'll raise the reps. I don't think the squats and deads on DE day will take about from the performance of deads and squats on ME day.

i like the bench program.

In this article, they don't say much on % increases, but have found info on elitefts.com to fill in the blanks.

modified routine:
ME legs
Box Squats - triples working to singles
Deads - triples working to singles
SLDLs - 3 x 8
GMs - 3 x 8
Decline weighted abs - really needed
Side bends - we'll see...

DE bench
Same as recommended in link above

DE Legs
same as recommended, but replace reverse hypers with SLDL

ME Bench
same as recommended
Please let me know if I should tweak it a little.

PowerManDL
02-08-2007, 02:36 AM
If you're no longer making progress with a more simplistic form of progressive overload, sure. If that still works for you, then Westside is needless overcomplication that will just as easily send you backwards.

More to the point, if you're not planning to compete as a PLer, I see even less reason to use the program as-advertised. Much less complicated approaches can be used, often with greater effect, in those with other goals and at a lesser level of qualification.

RhodeHouse
02-11-2007, 12:53 PM
Westside works for anyone that knows their body pretty well. Don't DL and Squat to a max every week. You need to vary the exercises. That's why there are so many different variations on the 3 lifts.

This is what I would do for squat/dl day
Free Squat
DL from the floor
Box Squat
Pin Pulls and rotate for 3 months