PDA

View Full Version : Starting Westside Monday...

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 05:59 AM
Hey guys,

Ive talked with mr. mason about a split but im going to keep that one aside for a little and try westside barbell methods, i know the idea 100% and very looking foward to trying it, my biceps and quads over power, right there im in for a good experience!

anyways..

I want to hear how you all did with this program, ive searched and there was only 1 thread with few replys, let me know everything!!

Im looking to gain both tremendous strength and some more slabs of meat with this program, ill run it until im sick of it or burn out.

PS( im using the basic templete with some changes, the one adam M has on wannabebig.com )

Sensei
02-08-2007, 06:09 AM
There are a ton of threads about westside in this forum. Do a title search - you'll come up with a lot.

I did well w. WS. I gave it up more because I couldn't be consistent with it than anything else. I got stronger and learned a lot from the videos, seminar, etc. Definately worth the time and money I sunk into it.

Don't hesitate to give up an ME day here and there and just do some lighter work - it's kind of written in the fine print that it ok and if you don't, you're going to be hurting.

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 06:15 AM
thanks sensei, i looked at almost all the threads when i searched lol there wasnt much on results, thanks man

UHCougar05
02-08-2007, 09:01 AM
You're gonna like it Stump. The most important thing when training WS is to listen to your body. Not every ME day is going to be a PR kind of day, and don't hesitate to take a few days off if you feel you need it. Have fun. :thumbup:

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks chris, but im sure i can handle it but i will take a day off here and there if i need it.

UHCougar05
02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
thanks chris, but im sure i can handle it but i will take a day off here and there if i need it.Sounds good Stump. Good luck. :strong:

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks man, oh quick? it says to use good morning type stuff for 60% of the lower body movements, now i know its all personal but do you reccomend this? i know GMs are very important to the squat

ericg
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
I would think RDLs and GMs are very important as are all posterior movements.

UHCougar05
02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
thanks man, oh quick? it says to use good morning type stuff for 60% of the lower body movements, now i know its all personal but do you reccomend this? i know GMs are very important to the squat

GMs are important, but I don't always do them for Max Effort. I may every once in a while, but I'm more prone to choosing a SQ or DL variation before GMs because I feel as if I need to train the movement more. If your lower back is strong, you can get away with doing GMs less frequently, but definitely pound the accessory movements.

I'll do GMs once every 3-4 weeks because they tend to tear up my lower back a bit. I would stick to the template, but you don't have to do GMs 60% of the time. Mix it up a bit more evenly (except for maybe deads, depending on how taxing they are for you) and go from there.

Sensei
02-08-2007, 02:52 PM
One thing that didn't work for me was not doing regular (free) squatting. I don't know if you are planning on following the template religiously or not, but doing a lot of GMs and banded squats (with no reg. squatting) really ****ed up my squat pattern. I think if I were to follow the template again, I would make sure that I did regular squats (and deadlifts) weekly - not necessarily heavy, but do them consistently so that the motor skills don't deteriorate.

WillKuenzel
02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
One thing that didn't work for me was not doing regular (free) squatting. I don't know if you are planning on following the template religiously or not, but doing a lot of GMs and banded squats (with no reg. squatting) really ****ed up my squat pattern. I think if I were to follow the template again, I would make sure that I did regular squats (and deadlifts) weekly - not necessarily heavy, but do them consistently so that the motor skills don't deteriorate.
Ditto this. GM's and bands are great but train for what you are going to do. Most of the guys that were religiously doing this type of template were squatting for years and years before and could afford to take extended time away from the regular lifts. Unless you've been doing something like Westside for more than 10 years (a number out of my ass) I'd still keep a good amount of squatting and deadlifting in there.

UHCougar05
02-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Excellent Advice from Sensei and HomeYield. I'm doing the same thing right now. I'm about 7 weeks out of a contest, and all my ME and DE Squat days revolve around free squatting and speed pulls right now, so I can get used to my gear. I would alternate the free squat and the box squat to save your hips (depending on your stance) as well.

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
ok guys thank you very much!

Natetaco
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
stump i think your pretty new to the whole powerlifting stance squat right? If so i would say do that alot, at least at first to get used to that style of squatting and stuff. I started westside and did what they said, RDL's GM's a whole bunch and hardly any regular squatting was in the program and it didnt work out too well for me seeing as i was new to that form of squatting. Are you going to start using suits and stuff?

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 07:41 PM
nate - for sure i was thinking that also i need to get used to wide stance, however no equipment for me, not even a belt. so i gotta work the program around RAW type stuff, shouldnt be a problem.

Natetaco
02-08-2007, 07:45 PM
yeah thats another thing man, westside is geared lifters so alot of the templates and stuff are made around that, i guess you know what. Goodmornings, rdls, all the top of the lifts sorta stuff yeah you got it lol ill shutup

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
nah man i appreciate your help this templete i have is 100% basic and doesnt even have any bands/chains/boards involved.

i planned on starting with incline bench with pinkies on rings for 3 weeks, then going over to floor press for my upper, lower im gonna work on my PL squats and once im good ill go to box squats and maybe RDL's

Natetaco
02-08-2007, 07:56 PM
sounds good man, whats the link to your template? I might have done the same one, basically all barbell stuff. Box squats are nice man and RDLS are my fav deadlift variant. hope routine works, it should for you!

Stumprrp
02-08-2007, 08:11 PM
im hoping i get serious strength and some size bro i want 600 on deadlift by the end of 07, the article is on wannabebig.com adam M provided it.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=46

Natetaco
02-10-2007, 06:31 PM
lol i just wana say 1 last thing. Make all your sessions count. I ended up missing alot of DE days and that completely ruined the routine and gains for me. If anything DE is more important in my opinion, i didnt know how much it really meant.

RhodeHouse
02-11-2007, 12:40 PM
I started using Westside. Here's a few things that came to mind while reading these replies.
1. Free Squat every 3-4 weeks
2. DL from the floor every 4 weeks
3. Use GM's as an accessory movement for 3-5 reps
4. Don't choose a whole lot of different exercises for your ME work.
ie: Bench - Close-grip, Incline, Floor Press, Competition Grip, and rotate them for at least 3 months to see if they work.
Squat - Free Squat, DL, Box Squat, Pin Pulls, (same as above)
5. Make sure to do Overhead pressing. Louie preaches that you don't need it. I believe it's a necessity for a strong raw bench.
6. Don't change the template. The Westside articles that you've read are very good for the raw lifter. They were written when bench shirts gave you 30-40 lbs and squat suits, maybe 50.

Stumprrp
02-11-2007, 01:10 PM
thanks for the reply rhode, very helpful, i will do so.

vdizenzo
02-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Listen to Rhodes, he knows what he is talking about. Good luck on the routine. You will get big and strong.

Stumprrp
02-11-2007, 01:47 PM
thx vinny i hope so! deffinatly eating like i used to and it got me 30 lbs bigger and about 300 lbs on my total last time :D

RhodeHouse
02-12-2007, 05:00 PM
Get after it, Bro. Just like the SFW Crew's motto - Lift Heavy or Stay Home!

KoSh
02-12-2007, 05:07 PM
I love Westside, great training program...

That's all I got.

PS: Been a long damn time since I've posted... Wow.