PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Questions?

Scorpion32
02-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Next week I will be on a break from the gym. I am going to a clinic and will not be able to work out. I have been at it hard in the gym for about two month and only one month really eating the way I am supposed to. I have gained around 7 lbs or so. I have not got on a scale for a few days.

My questions are should I continue to eat the same as if I am working out? Or should I cut back on the carbs and calories?

Also should I do any cardio when I am on an off week? I have heard both ways. Do absolutly nothing and completly rest and continue to do some running but not as much.

PoutineEh
02-08-2007, 11:07 AM
if you're not working out, just eat a maintenance, otherwise you will put on mostly fat.
you don't have to do cardio unless you want to, and some rest can do certain people good. in the grand scheme of things, missing a week won't matter much. plus this shouldve been posted in the diet section id say.

ericg
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM
You could take a break.

But

Also should I do any cardio when I am on an off week? I have heard both ways. Do absolutly nothing and completly rest and continue to do some running but not as much.
Seems like you are stating that you have time for running? Why not do some bodyweight exercises as well? Pushups, pullups, squats, burpees, lunges, and all the variations. Make it work.

Scorpion32
02-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I have been told that one of the major problems body builders have is over training and that included not taking breaks. I have read numerous places that you should take a week off every 6 to 8 weeks. Any other feelings on this?

ericg
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I have been told that one of the major problems body builders have is over training and that included not taking breaks. I have read numerous places that you should take a week off every 6 to 8 weeks. Any other feelings on this?

Definitely a great idea to have some sort of deload and/or break. You stated in the first post that you have been hitting the gym for 2 months, correct? I dont think you really need much of a break right now considering you have only been training for that long.

How is your diet? Sleep? Stress levels? If all these things are in check then just keep banging away...

Have you hit a wall recently? Feeling overly tired? You need to listen to your body and react to what it is saying.

That being said I still think you will not do any harm, maybe if a bit of good, if you had a few session per week of bodyweight stuff while you are away.

Scorpion32
02-08-2007, 05:48 PM
EricG- i have been lifting for a while now just picked up the intensity in the last two months. I am a strength coach but i don't know much about body building. I have been eating great, absolutly no cheating and all high quality foods, so I think my diet is good. No stress, I coach football and we are out of season so life is good. I sleep good most nights sometimes when have to lift late I can't go to sleep but still have tot get up early.

I have hit a wall in the last week, so I think a break with only doing my core lifts and some ligt running is what I will do next week.