PDA

View Full Version : SLDL vs GHR?

mickyjune26
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm working a supplementary exercise to increase my deads and squats. In addition to deads and squats, would you choose SLDL or GHR?

Chubrock
02-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Do you pull and squat sumo?

mickyjune26
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't deadlift sumo. I deadlift as pictured in exrx.net.

Chubrock
02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
I have an affinity for RDLs. I know that wasn't one of your choice, but I've seen my full DL do good things when supplementing with RDLs.

Natetaco
02-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I have an affinity for RDLs. I know that wasn't one of your choice, but I've seen my full DL do good things when supplementing with RDLs.

^i second that

RDLs are great, better and safer than SLDL in my opinion.

betastas
02-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I'd say Glute Ham Raises. There's a reason why Louie Simmons and the rest of Westside recommends them so highly.

Chubrock
02-09-2007, 07:46 AM
I'd say Glute Ham Raises. There's a reason why Louie Simmons and the rest of Westside recommends them so highly.

Those guys can also get away with doing GMs all the time and not free squatting or pulling very much at all. I like the idea of doing a movement that mimics a portion of my lift. Once I've been lifting for 10yrs and can get away with not pulling or squatting all the time then I'll probably follow a lot of what they do more closely.

betastas
02-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Different things work for different people. I never get a good workout from RDLs or SLDLs. I get a great workout from GMs and GHRs. My DL stalled doing RDLs and SLDLs, but then I put 80 lbs on it in three months using GMs and GHRs.

Guido
02-09-2007, 02:52 PM
:withstupi

You just have to find out what your weak points are and do whatever helps you the most to bring up that weakness. I think GHR's emphasize the hams a bit more than SLDL's and that SLDL's hit the glutes a bit more than GHR's. Pick whatever suits you best.

Sensei
02-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Exactly. Figure out your weaknesses and go from there. Rotate them if you can't figure it out.

HeavyBomber
02-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Exactly. Figure out your weaknesses and go from there. Rotate them if you can't figure it out.

I second that. Personally, GMs and GHRs are my choice. Don't forget pull-throughs and reverse-hypers.

mickyjune26
02-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey yall. I'm sold. I'm going to do GHRs on the lat pull machine. It'll look like i'm floating. thanks for the advice.

dw06wu
02-09-2007, 08:53 PM
If you have access to ghr i think it is a superior movement because it does not jeopardize your back...but sldl's are good as long as you stay sharp.

RhodeHouse
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
The GHR on the lat machine is not a GHR. I never do GHR's, RDL's, or RH. I do a lotl of heavy GM's and I squat every week. Get good at what you are training for.

View 1
02-11-2007, 02:02 PM
My gym does not have a GHR, so I have no choice but to do the ghetto GHR on the lat machine.

Side note we do have a smith machine, that always has a line of people waiting to use it:rolleyes:

mickyjune26
02-11-2007, 04:23 PM
definately have to do what my body needs. By pursuing westside, I've become more sensative to the parts that are lagging.

For example, it's a pretty good sign that my hams are weak when I have sore hams 4 days after ME leg day.

mickyjune26
02-11-2007, 04:25 PM
quick note: After researching exercises on exrx.net, I've realized that this post should have been labelled SLDL vs. Reverse Hypers. SLDL and GHR don't even target the same primary muscle. SLDL target glutes and GHR target hams as the primary muscle.

My bad.

Guido
02-12-2007, 08:18 AM
SLDL's target hams as well. In fact, some would argue they are just as effective at targeting hams as GHR's. Of course, reverse hypers also do the job.

mickyjune26
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
man, my brain is getting fried trying to memorize which are ham primary's and which are glute primary's.

To complicate it, there are stiff-legged deadlifts and straight-legged deadlifts and straight-legged, straight back deadlifts. ......whew!!

see http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for the whole lot.

Guido - thanks for the correction.

Now I'm going to go just lift heavy. that'll do it.

RhodeHouse
02-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Don't confuse yourself with all the exercises and what they target exactly. Just pick a few, and hit 'em hard. If your squat and DL go up, you're doing the right ones.

bill
02-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Keep it simple, concentrate on the main lift to get stronger. If your not careful you end up worrying too much about what assistance and where your weak points are. You should get a good amount of strength on your regular lifts before weak points become a great issue. my 2 cents.