PDA

View Full Version : what happens to protein when you're starving...

ViciousBish
02-08-2007, 08:57 PM
If I haven't eaten because I was at work all night. And i'm starving, what happens to a 60 gram protein shake when I guzzle it. Does my body just use it for energy or store it or does it actually process the protein just like if I'm waking up in the morning.

I'm guessing it's the same as if I took a shake in the morning. Could be wrong though.

Also, is there anything special I SHOULD eat when I'm stuck without food and I start to get starving?

greekboy80
02-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Depends on which type of protein you use...

Whey probably gets some decent use. But a lot is being stored in the liver. It is just digested too fast for the body to know what to do with it unless you have jsut severly damaged you muscles, i.e. worked out...

If it is Whey that you are using, try to drink it with some fiber and good fats, that will slow the absorption down a lot...

If you taking Casiean(sp?), your good to go...In some tests it takes close to 4-6 hours to fully digest.

Slim Schaedle
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Whey probably gets some decent use. But a lot is being stored in the liver. It is just digested too fast for the body to know what to do with it unless you have jsut severly damaged you muscles, i.e. worked out...

Is there a soruce for this information, or are these your generalized thoughts?

Holto
02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
The bottom line is if you are starving you need a meal. Carbohydrates spare protein. I think fat should as well.

ViciousBish
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
so when your body is starving you need slow absorb rate? Why did I think it was the other way around?

Slim Schaedle
02-11-2007, 09:56 AM
so when your body is starving you need slow absorb rate? Why did I think it was the other way around?

No, the non-complicated answer was basically to make sure you eat something else with the whey, such as a carb and/or fat source.

Greekboy has not respionded to my question yet.

greekboy80
02-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Is there a soruce for this information, or are these your generalized thoughts?

Well, we all know that Whey is digested very quickly.

And my basis of thinking is that anything that is digested quickly i.e. sugars, whey, etc. IF there is no direct prior damage to muscles, then the "fuel" would not be used up quickly.

That is the whole concept behind GI index and complex carbs over simple.

It's basic nutrition.

RenegadeOfFunk
02-12-2007, 11:38 AM
Whey is digested quickly.

"... my basis of thinking is..."

Er, that's not a scientific proof.

Neither is synonymising sugar and whey as "quickly digested [things]". They may have these things in common, but it doesn't follow that all quickly digested things are stored in the same organ.

A man may possess two 4x4's, but it doesn't follow that he parks them in the same garage.

Well, we all know that Whey is digested very quickly.

And my basis of thinking is that anything that is digested quickly i.e. sugars, whey, etc. IF there is no direct prior damage to muscles, then the "fuel" would not be used up quickly.

That is the whole concept behind GI index and complex carbs over simple.

It's basic nutrition.

greekboy80
02-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Whey is digested quickly.

Er, that's not a scientific proof.

Neither is synonymising sugar and whey as "quickly digested [things]". They may have these things in common, but it doesn't follow that all quickly digested things are stored in the same organ.

A man may possess two 4x4's, but it doesn't follow that he parks them in the same garage.

1. It is scientific proof if you look it up. I'm not asking the questions, i'm not looking it up. The poster asked for advice, I gave advice.

2. Well, everything is stored in the liver if it has nowhere to go and there is "nutritional overflow" no matter the substance.

Like I said its basic nutrition.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-12-2007, 03:28 PM
You call that basic nutrition?

Slim Schaedle
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
"fuel" would not be used up quickly.

Anytime someone says anything like this, I know they don't know what they are talking about.

No offense whatsoever, mind you.

Until I had a basic biochemistry class, I too lived under the "burn quickly" , "used quickly" WebMD-type terminology/theroy/crap.

As far as everything being stored in the liver if it has nowhere to go, ...I am not even sure where I should begin.....

Regarding protein, could you name a few things it could be used for aside from muscular growth?

ArchAngel777
02-12-2007, 06:56 PM

LOL, that is totally a trademark of Lyle! I would have guessed you were him, except you are much more polite... *chuckle*
Just thought that was funny.

/Agree

Slim Schaedle
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
LOL, that is totally a trademark of Lyle! I would have guessed you were him, except you are much more polite... *chuckle*
Just thought that was funny.

/Agree

ha

What's funny is that I don't even spend enough time on that board to be talking like him.

If I could acquire his knowledge just as easily then I will go to bed happy.

ArchAngel777
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
If I could acquire his knowledge just as easily then I will go to bed happy.

You and me both...

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 08:13 AM
Anytime someone says anything like this, I know they don't know what they are talking about.

Until I had a basic biochemistry class, I too lived under the "burn quickly" , "used quickly" WebMD-type terminology/theroy/crap.

As far as everything being stored in the liver if it has nowhere to go, ...I am not even sure where I should begin.....

Regarding protein, could you name a few things it could be used for aside from muscular growth?

Well, just for argument sake, I graduated from Old Dominion University with a degree in Exercise Science. I do know what I am talking about. Not that it really means anything. Ther are some idiots with PHD's out there. I knowI have met a few.

I use easier term and def. for the newbies here. I like to break it down for them. Its called being a effective teacher. You think if a first grade teacher taught only using "adult language" the children would learn anything? Not really...

And yes, if you eat too much protein or anything for the matter, and you have excess calories, your body will convert it over to glycogen and store it in the liver.

Basic nutrition. If there are excess calories, they will be stored in the liver and/or fat stores if the liver is full...

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, just for argument sake, I graduated from Old Dominion University with a degree in Exercise Science. I do know what I am talking about. Not that it really means anything. Ther are some idiots with PHD's out there. I knowI have met a few.

I use easier term and def. for the newbies here. I like to break it down for them. Its called being a effective teacher. You think if a first grade teacher taught only using "adult language" the children would learn anything? Not really...

And yes, if you eat too much protein or anything for the matter, and you have excess calories, your body will convert it over to glycogen and store it in the liver.

Basic nutrition. If there are excess calories, they will be stored in the liver and/or fat stores if the liver is full...

Making it basic does not mean making it wrong, which you are doing.

I too have encountered PhD's with their head up their ass, consequently most of them teaching exercise science courses.

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 08:25 AM
^ its not wrong.

Another thing, what is your deal? The guy wanted some advice. I gave some.

You gave none. You have some input? Give it.

I just love these internet posters who hide behind thier cpu's all day and spout out all the time, "I want proof, you have any reasearch?"

No, but if you want to go and open a book you can find it yourself.

Maybe I should have told that poster to go and research himself. Would that have made it better?

Slim, go back and look at the origional question...the question was answered. We helped the guy out, thats why we have message boards, to help people out.

You are not helping anyone. Your compounding the problem...

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2007, 08:49 AM
^ its not wrong.

Another thing, what is your deal? The guy wanted some advice. I gave some.

You gave none. You have some input? Give it.

I just love these internet posters who hide behind thier cpu's all day and spout out all the time, "I want proof, you have any reasearch?"

No, but if you want to go and open a book you can find it yourself.

Maybe I should have told that poster to go and research himself. Would that have made it better?

Slim, go back and look at the origional question...the question was answered. We helped the guy out, thats why we have message boards, to help people out.

You are not helping anyone. Your compounding the problem...

lol

Well, I did offer advice. It was in my second post and consisted of some very general thoughts considering the depth to which this subject could be explored. Depth which is probabaly way over the OP's head, and evidently, most likely over yours as well (not to sound condescending).

I don't have a "deal." As others may attest to, my "internet personailty" is one in which upon finding something that sounds fishy, I sometimes ask for a source or clarification. Sometimes it is just plainly evident that one may have had a few basic nutrition classes and never had the opportunity to attain any detailed background knoweldge pertaining to pathways such as glycolysis, that even physical therapists have to learn at some point.

If I ask for a source of information, it is because the first step to solving a problem is knowing and finding where it came from. If what you say comes from a book, then we can easily suggest burning that book, and I can offer you the names of some that will help you more.

Perhaps this doesn't help much and compounds things, but that is how people learn. To this day, the best threads on WBB which offer to the most educationally involve alot of poo-flinging and argument. So, if you want to post some sources for your position, then do so.

Until then, you are incorrect on several things.

It's snowing here in Cincinnati and I don't have classses today, so I am going to hide behind my computer for the time being.

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
^ whatever man, you still havent posted ANYTHING worth any substance.

"Well, I did offer advice. It was in my second post and consisted of some very general thoughts considering the depth to which this subject could be explored. "

And what you said was the same thing as what I said. Take the whey with somthing else, to slow absorption.

Depth which is probabaly way over the OP's head, and evidently, most likely over yours as well (not to sound condescending).

Right man, you still haven't said anyting to refute what I had said...

To this day, the best threads on WBB which offer to the most educationally involve alot of poo-flinging and argument

You do know that this is what you were doing form the start right?

ArchAngel777
02-13-2007, 09:27 AM
To this day, the best threads on WBB which offer to the most educationally involve alot of poo-flinging and argument. So, if you want to post some sources for your position, then do so.

Totally agree with this. The only way to learn is to be always test the sources and never believe anything at face value. Only when you test something do you know its strength. I have created a lot of threads where I was wrong, proven wrong and accepted it as a learning experience. No one knows everything and should therefore take the opportunity of being wrong as a learning experience.

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2007, 09:44 AM
^ whatever man, you still havent posted ANYTHING worth any substance.
Everything I ever post is worth something. At least my mommy always told me so.

^ And what you said was the same thing as what I said. Take the whey with somthing else, to slow absorption.
I didn't label that as incorrect.

^ Right man, you still haven't said anyting to refute what I had said...
Very true, I am waiting on you. (hey that rhymes)

^ You do know that this is what you were doing form the start right?
Of course.

Not neccesarily from the start, however.

Your turn..........

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Totally agree with this. The only way to learn is to be always test the sources and never believe anything at face value. Only when you test something do you know its strength. I have created a lot of threads where I was wrong, proven wrong and accepted it as a learning experience. No one knows everything and should therefore take the opportunity of being wrong as a learning experience.

I agree too, but I still haven't found out what I have said that was wrong.

Slim, says I'm wrong, but hasn't explained himself.

From what I have read, we all basicly said the same thing. Take the whey with somthing else...to slow absorbtion.

I dont get it...

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Everything I ever post is worth something. At least my mommy always told me so.

I didn't label that as incorrect.

Very true, I am waiting on you. (hey that rhymes)

Of course.

Not neccesarily from the start, however.

Your turn..........

Not going to play this game man.

Do you have have somthing or not?

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Not going to play this game man.

Do you have have somthing or not?

lol

Look dude, I am not going go into every little reason as to why some of your post content in incorrect. I've done that plenty in the past on here regarding the same subject material.

If I didn't have alot more stuff I should be doing for my classes, I would be more inclined to take the initiative and lay out more explanation that shows your inaccuracies. If you would lay down your sources, scan a page of one of your books and post it, or whatever, maybe we could work from there.

...or maybe others would want to jump in and add their thoughts.

greekboy80
02-13-2007, 10:00 AM
OK, cased closed,

Viciousbish - take the whey with somthign else...

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Gotta love quitters

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
:withstupi

It was over before it even started.