PDA

View Full Version : The Best Thing To Do with Whey Protein

Sanctuary
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Ok, I just brought Whey protein (vanilla flavour) for 10, which is the best deal anybody in the world is gonna get in terms of protein products. I wanted to know what the most effective and efficient way to use it is. I mean, is there more of an advantage to drinking it in milk than there is in water?

I can't wait to drink it though, I must admit. It's my first protein shake in MONTHS. Also, how often should I take these shakes? I mean, I know i'm supposed to take one directly after a work out, but what about other times?

Cheers lads and ladettes :cool:

greekboy80
02-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Take it pre and post workout with some simple carbs like Dex or malto, and if you are taking it for extra protein during the day, try to take it with some fiber and good fats to slow absorption....

Rock Steady
02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
First thing in the morning is good (I mix in 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries to get the antioxidants of those potent little bastards,) as is pre/post workout. Before bed I have a casein shake.

Cirino83
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Technically you do not NEED to ever drink one. As long as you are getting enough protein from whole foods you are fine. It's science. :)

But as for your question, I like to have one at work around 11:30am (just milk and strawberry nitrean) and then one right after I workout at night at about 7:30pm (milk, chocolate nitrean, pb, oats)

Sanctuary
02-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Ok cheers guys, i'm definitely gonna follow the pre and post workout pattern. I'll eat six eggs a day and a couple of chicken breasts on top of that too, just to make sure i'm getting enough protein for myself. Thanks a lot, lads.

getfit
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
you can also cook with whey protein waffles,pancakes yum!

Optimum08
02-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Technically you do not NEED to ever drink one. As long as you are getting enough protein from whole foods you are fine. It's science. :)

But as for your question, I like to have one at work around 11:30am (just milk and strawberry nitrean) and then one right after I workout at night at about 7:30pm (milk, chocolate nitrean, pb, oats)

this is totally off topic, but cirino, you might want to try water with the shakes you take around your workout, the casein in them milk slows down absorption, which is not what you want pre or post workout.

to the OP, i usually take a shake when i feel that i'm lacking my protein for the day, and pre and post workout as well.

RedSpikeyThing
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
this is totally off topic, but cirino, you might want to try water with the shakes you take around your workout, the casein in them milk slows down absorption, which is not what you want pre or post workout.

Read this: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=89304

OP: it is food. Treat it as such.

Cirino83
02-09-2007, 05:46 PM

to the OP, i usually take a shake when i feel that i'm lacking my protein for the day, and pre and post workout as well.

I have always been confused about this...I thought both were ok (maybe water a little better) but I am bulking so right now I use the whole milk for extra cals/fat. When I cut I will always use water. Thanks for the heads up.

RST thanks for the link.

beachmuscles
02-09-2007, 05:49 PM
you can also cook with whey protein waffles,pancakes yum!

pancakes? please explain!! also i thought heat + whey = no no?

RedSpikeyThing
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
pancakes? please explain!! also i thought heat + whey = no no?

Looks like I'm playing google today: Protein waffles (http://64.191.89.25/showthread.php?t=76225)

I think the heat thing depends on the whey.