PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining strength while losing weight

CMAND21
02-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I am some one who is between weightclasses. I currently fluctuate between 225 and 230. Ideally over the next few monthes I'd like to gradually get down to 198. Have any of you been able to maintain your strength while losing pounds? I have until the late fall since I will not be able to compete until then. I am sure I will have to increase my protien intake a bit and add cardio:cry:. What's your two cents?

Paul Stagg
02-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Why do you want to go down to 198?

Rock Steady
02-09-2007, 01:21 PM
I currently fluctuate between 225 and 230. Ideally over the next few monthes I'd like to gradually get down to 198.

If you really want to keep all your strength, you need to give yourself more than a few months to lose 30 pounds. Plan on 6-8 months - although UD 2.0 may be an answer (do a search,) I'm too ignorant on the subject to recommend it for you.

bigbadwolfe
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
All I've done is clean up my diet drastically, and UPPED my protein and I am actually stronger now then I was 75 pounds ago. I'm stronger on everything!! I have lost that over the course of about 6 months and I only do minimal cardio. Like 15-20 minutes 3 times a week on the treadmill at 2.5-3 mphs at a slight incline. Just take your time dropping it.

Guido
02-09-2007, 02:55 PM
CMAND,

It's going to depend a lot on nutrition, and what your current fitness/strength level is whether you can maintain or actually increase strength while losing weight. If you already have very little fat, no doubt that part of what you lose will be muscle mass because you don't have 30lbs worth of fat to drop. Also, if you are a beginner or intermediate level lifter you are more likely to actually be able to continue to increase strength while dropping weight. Everything will have to be spot on as far as training, nutrition, rest, etc. no matter what if you expect not to lose too much strength, or even maintain or gain strength.