PDA

View Full Version : oatmeal question

frankm007
02-17-2002, 12:53 PM
n/m

Wizard
02-17-2002, 12:58 PM
When I don't have much time, I just prepare the crappy-sugar loaded instand oatmeal in the microwave.

I usually put 200ml of water (or milk) and ~50g of oats in the same time and wait until it's ready.(very smooth)

Reinier
02-17-2002, 01:21 PM
i take the raw oats, 1 cup, put in bowl, add 2.5 cups of milk,
microwave 7 minutes at 750 watts, then let it cool a little and stir well and then eat it

plornive
02-17-2002, 10:18 PM
This is how I make both oatmeal and oatbran...

Quaker Oatbran:

Put 0.5 cup oatbran and 1.25~1.5 cups of water into a bowl. Stir. Microwave on high for 2 min. Stir to mix the thin water with the chunky part. Microwave for 2 more minutes. Voila!

I like to add 2 tsp of cocoa with some splenda. I add this right after the first two minutes of microwaving.

Oatmeal:

Put 0.5 cup oatmeal and 1.0~1.25 cups of water into a bowl. Stir and cook as you would oatmeal.

If you add protein powder, DON'T add it until the oatmeal/oatbran is done cooking and has cooled slightly. If you break this rule, your protein will become denatured, burnt, chunky and nasty! Also, add a bit more water to accomodate the protein powder. Not too much, though.

unev_en
02-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Best way to cook oatmeal, at least in my opinion:

bring to boil on stove:
1 4/5 cup water
1 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract
some cinnamon

add:
one cup oatmeal

turn to medium heat, let cook for 10 mins, stirring frequently (don't let it boil over :) ) and adding more cinnamon

when almost finished, add:
1 1/2 packet of sweet and low

when finished, let sit for a few minutes (cook egg whites or something else :)

then add:
1 packet sweet and low, 1 packet equal
cinnamon
1 tbsp cashew or natty peanut butter
stir well

add equal then to taste, stir, and eat.

hemants
02-18-2002, 10:53 AM
I buy the 1 min oatmeal (unsweetened and more importantly, unsalted and unflavoured) and add it to hot water.

There's a hot water dispenser at work but any boiled water would do. Within a minute or so it's ready to eat. I add a dash of salt and a dash of honey and a dash of milk or cream.

David
02-18-2002, 01:05 PM
IMO Cream of Wheat is the best oatmeal!!

that stuff is delicious!!!

i eat 3 servings of it a day.

i mix 1/4 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup water.

i cook it. BUT, the thing i hate is that ITS ALWAYS so HOT after i make it. i either have to open the window and let the heat escape from the pot or i end up pouring it back and forth in two bowls until its good to eat.

does anyone else have this problem?? when your oatmeal gets too hot to handle??

hemants
02-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Cream of wheat is not Oatmeal, it is cream of wheat.

It is also higher glycemic than oatmeal but I agree, it's yummy.

syntekz
02-18-2002, 02:35 PM
I put some water in the bowl with the oatmeal and stick it in the microwave; than add a little bit of sugar and eat it.

reso
02-18-2002, 03:04 PM
anyway ,since cream of wheat is brought up,is it good to eat when leaning?

David
02-18-2002, 03:52 PM
i always thought that cream of wheat was oatmeal??

Manipul8r
02-18-2002, 05:05 PM
I use milk, throw it in the microwave and either put a banana or some maple syrup on it, Not bad when made right..

David
02-18-2002, 05:54 PM
i repeat

Qea
02-18-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by TripleP
i repeat

It's mashed up wheat grains, as far as i know

I recall hearing it was higher up on the GI scale than oatmeal

Anyways, easy oatmeal mix:

1 cup milk
1/2 cup oats
1 tbs natty pb

2 mins on high,

mix in choc protein powder

voila. Breakkie of champions

CBates
02-18-2002, 07:09 PM
If running low on time and I have to train like 30-45 minutes after I wake up, would it be better to take cream of wheat instead of oatmeal since it is higher in GI?

Shocker
02-18-2002, 07:25 PM
yesterday, I was late for werk...again, so I grabbed a lunchbox and threw some oats in it with a spoon, then filled it up with water from a tap at the bus stop, mmmm.

hemants
02-19-2002, 07:19 AM
Cream of wheat is made from wheat with the husk or bran removed.

Oatmeal is made from oats which is a different grain altogether.

The "wheat" equivalent to oatmeal would be cracked wheat cereal as that would still contain the fibre.

David
02-19-2002, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Cream of wheat is made from wheat with the husk or bran removed.

Oatmeal is made from oats which is a different grain altogether.

The "wheat" equivalent to oatmeal would be cracked wheat cereal as that would still contain the fibre.

Alright, i see now so let me as you this, is there a major difference between oatmeal and cream of wheat as far as carbs go? meaning will i get fat from the latter?

:help:

hemants
02-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Make this a permanent bookmark!

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

And here ya go

Oatmeal 1 cup :

protein 5.9
carb 23.8
fat 2.3
fibre 3.9

Cream of Wheat 1 cup

protein 3.7
carb 27.6
fat 0.5
fibre 1.7

Conslusion : Oatmeal is superior, especially due to the fact that it is higher in fibre which probably leads to it's slower digestion.

The difference isn't vast by any means so it won't hurt to mix in some cream of wheat every now and then for variety, but I'd try to stick to mostly Oatmeal.

P.S. Do not buy the Quaker flavoured stuff, it has more sugar than a candy bar and more salt than a bag of chips. The 1 minute oatmeal mixes easily in hot water. :)

ericg
02-19-2002, 08:41 AM
i throw 1-1.5cups into a container, add water, place in a micro for 2 minutes and then eat

reso
02-19-2002, 09:51 AM
irish stoned oats? whats the difference ,also since im leanin cream of wheat sounds good ,maybe like a once a week basis i might include this in the morning on rest days?

plornive
02-19-2002, 02:17 PM
What do you people think of oatbran? It is the husk of the oats, I believe. Anyway, it is much more filling than oatmeal, so I eat it while cutting. It requires almost 1.5 cups of water per .5 cups of oatbran, and has less calories than .5 cup of oats. It has more fiber and protein than oatmeal, but has a slightly higher GI.

reso
02-19-2002, 02:23 PM
i eat oatbran ,and i think its better than oatmeal 21carbs 7gram fiber 7protein.............taste better and stuff:)

David
02-19-2002, 03:15 PM
so.............what kind of oatmeal do you recommend??

reso
02-19-2002, 05:39 PM
oatmean or oatbran are both fine,instant oatmeal if your a person on the go or slow cooking oatmeal is fine.........but i love oatbran