PDA

View Full Version : How to eat properly on a budget?

bonehead
02-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Most of the people I've talked to, say that apart from working out in the gym, you must also eat a proper diet to get the physique you want. E.g it should have a large amount of proteins and smaller amounts of carbs and fats, etc. In addition, you should also use supplements like Creatin and protein shakes, etc.

I am a student and for the next 2 years I will be. I'm just going to move out in a few months, and my guess is I'll have to do many part-time jobs to be able to pay the rent, food, and my college fees, etc. That means:

- I might not be able to eat 6 meals a day, as I'd be at work in the afternoons and evenings, and because:
a) If I repeatedly have to get off work to have my meals, the manager might want to fire me.
b) I probably won't find food that fits my diet around where I work.
c) If I'm to cook the food myself and take it to work, it'd become a pain to carry it around everywhere (I'd probably ride a bike around town), and to explain to my mates/colleagues why I do it.

- I might not be able to afford to eat a chicken breast twice a day, or creatine or other supplements. In fact, I might have to settle for a diet full of carbs/fats.

Inspite of all these things, I really want to change my physique and wow my friends when I come back home in 2 years. (I'm moving out of country to study for 2 years). I am willing to do whatever it takes.. and I'd hate to return home all skinny because of having to work all day.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What should I do??

Mr. D
02-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Cottage Cheese is cheap. Peanut butter is pretty cheap (even natural ones from generic brands like Target or Kroger). Milk is reasonable as is yogurt. I would say buy Nitrean from atlargenutrition and make some homemade shakes that you can sip on while at work.

Oats are cheap as well. Buy foods in bulk.

What country are you moving to and which country are you leaving?

RedSpikeyThing
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
I am a student and for the next 2 years I will be.
Me too. There a lot of students on this site :)

- I might not be able to eat 6 meals a day, as I'd be at work in the afternoons and evenings, and because:

You don't have to. It's a comfort thing. If you're cutting, it's more satisfying to eat several small meals than limit your self to 3 medium sized ones. If your'e bulking, it's really gross to eat like 2k calories in one sitting, although I've been drinking 1300 calori shakes without much of a problem lately. On a side note, the shake probably costs less than $1.50....

c) If I'm to cook the food myself and take it to work, it'd become a pain to carry it around everywhere (I'd probably ride a bike around town), and to explain to my mates/colleagues why I do it.

Suck it up. If you want to eat decent food all the time, you'll have to justify it to someone sooner or later. All you have to say is "I don't like eating **** and this is left overs from last night."

- I might not be able to afford to eat a chicken breast twice a day, or creatine or other supplements. In fact, I might have to settle for a diet full of carbs/fats.

Cook whole chickens. That's what I do. They're cheap, easy and delicious, although they take a little bit of extra work because you'll have to cut it up yourself.
You don't need supplements. They supplement your diet. Get your diet under control, then add them as a convenience.
Fats and carbs aren't bad for you... :scratch:

Inspite of all these things, I really want to change my physique and wow my friends when I come back home in 2 years. (I'm moving out of country to study for 2 years). I am willing to do whatever it takes.. and I'd hate to return home all skinny because of having to work all day.

It doesn't sound like you're willing to do what it takes to me- you don't want to eat chicken and rice in front of your friends!

They're are a few facts you'll have to accept:

1) You will be spending more on groceries. Depending on your goals, it might a little more or it might be a lot more. Take it out of the beer fund.

2) You'll have to cook more. Learn to cook lots at a time and it won't suck.

Cheap foods:
-peanuts, sunflower seeds, full fat plain yogurt, bananas, milk, oats, whole chickens, tuna, ground beef, etc.

Buy stuff on sale and buy lots. Throw meat in the freezer and it won't go bad.

Good luck!

MagnaSephiroth
02-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Meat is generally an expensive way to get your protien, expecially on a bulk. Unless you buy a HUGE quantity, lean meat does get a bit pricey. I do eat meat a lot, but I dont rely on it.

Here are some relatively cheap foods (buy in bulk of course) and they will last you awhile:

Fats: Mixed nuts. You can get a large tub almost anywhere, about 40oz for less then $10. IMO its more fat for your dollar and lasts longer then a jar of peanut butter, expecially because its hard to stir the peanut butter sometimes leaving the bottom of the bigger bottles tasting like salty rocks.

Protien: Costco has EAS protien, 6 pounds for around $30 which is damn good for a store price. If you ask people here, you can probibly find cheaper stuff online.

Carbs: Rice. I bought a big bag of rice and it has lasted me months. The only problem with rice is it is virtually JUST carbs. However, this can also be seen as a strength.

Sure your diet will lack some flavor, but if you got a few extra bucks, instead of buying McDonalds or something, go buy a Kashi Frozen meal (asian ones are good) microwave it, and put it over a bowl of rice, tastes very good.

Mad Martigan
02-15-2007, 08:16 AM
I get a great deal of my daily protein out of cans. Canned chicken, canned turkey, canned tuna, canned salmon. I tried canned shrimp too. Once. Anyway, they generally cost about $1 per can, +/- 40 cents. Each can is about 2.5 servings, yielding 25+ grams of protein. I also use a protein powder, combined with milk and a serving of powdered milk to supplement my diet. It comes out to about 40 grams of protein for $1. I've found that this is an inexpensive way to get my protein in for the day.

02-15-2007, 08:31 AM
as every one else has said it al depends one how bad you want it and what your priorities are if you really want to eat right and look good you will find a way to do it- i'd say most of the people on this site have to deal wiht all the things you say will prevent you from eating right im in school to as are a lot foother ppl on this site

as far as a job im sure u will get a break eat then i always eat before i go to work on my break or breaks and after i get home

also eggs are cheap!!!!! about a dollar a douzen an a grat source or protein!!!!

Bupp
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Baked potatoes are key.

SpecialK
02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
I'd say ON 100% whey provides the best bang for the buck in terms of grams of protein/$. Get it from www.dpsnutrition.net Canned tuna comes in a close second.

manowar669
02-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Milk, eggs, tuna, oats, PB, beans, sweet potatoes.
All cheap (sometimes sweet potatoes can be $$), all good for you, all require little/no cooking ability or time.