PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form

emjlr3
02-11-2007, 12:27 PM
so i don't know if anyone remembers, but a while back i asked about my deadlift form, since my back soreness after them was real bad, and people basically said, to much back, not enough legs

so i ended up hurting my knee a few months ago play b-ball, so i took a few months off of deads and squats

i started back up a few week ago, with the new deadlift form

i go down to just about a parallel squat, and pick it up fluidly

but what I have found is that, since my legs are so much weaker then my back, I have had to drop a lot of weigh so I can get the bar up

right now I am doing reps at like 315-355 or so, down from 425-455 where i was at before i hurt my knee

it is hard, since my legs are weak, but I rarely have any soreness my back at all afterwards, so I am not sure if my legs are limiting my back too much or what

what do you all think?

emjlr3
02-14-2007, 10:08 AM
bump :(

betastas
02-14-2007, 11:49 AM
It sounds like you're squatting the bar up. A deadlift is definitely not a squat. There are lots of good videos on youtube of some of the greats doing deadlifts - take a look at those. You should only bring your hips as low as you need to, otherwise they'll just end up shooting straight up as soon as you pull.

Sleepy Guy
02-14-2007, 12:41 PM
You might want to look into sumo deadlifts as well. Most do not lift hard with their legs in a deadlift. I just tend to use more legs.

Do you have a trap bar at the gym? This will help push your legs harder by forcing you to use more legs. My trap bar numbers are about 65lbs higher then my deadlifts.