PDA

View Full Version : Salt Intake: Do I need to cutback????

ctarden
02-11-2007, 07:12 PM
I eat very clean, lean protein, good fats, oats, fruits and veggies etc... I pretty much don't eat any processed or packaged foods.

However I do have one VICE. Salt...

I like to put salt on my hard boiled eggs, salads etc... However, my diet should be very low in sodium since I don't really eat anything else that has sodium???

I was just wondering if I should cutback on the sodium intake and try to have eggs without salt?

I do eat eggs almost everyday and sprinkle a little salt on each egg?

Thanks.

shoot4dabigtime
02-11-2007, 07:28 PM
here is a some info on a slide from my exercise physiology class:

Sodium in general does not stress kidneys
The kidneys can dump huge amounts of sodium to compensate for a high sodium intake
Most people need not worry about salt
Most athletes lose about 20 mEq of sodium per/L of sweat,
about 20 mEq per/L in a sports drink

shoot4dabigtime
02-11-2007, 07:29 PM
also, my professor said it doesnt hurt to have a shake or two of the salt shaker on a meal to compensate for the loss of sodium from sweating during exercise.

ctarden
02-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Cool... That's good to hear... I try to eat healthy and wasn't sure if this was something that I need to correct or not.

Optimum08
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
I don't want to take Built's thunder or anything, but she always stresses how sodium is anabolic, and that athletes especially should salt their foods and need the extra sodium. so go ahead and salt, thats one thing that i really don't worry about...well that and cholesterol (unless you are predisposed to cholesterol problems).

teaturtle
02-11-2007, 11:39 PM
doesnt salt make you bloat tho? more water weight

shoot4dabigtime
02-12-2007, 06:23 AM
doesnt salt make you bloat tho? more water weight

in a way yes, its helps you retain more water, which also aids in preventing dehydration!

Ritzol
02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
But if you're drinking enough water (which you should be if you're eating large amounts of sodium), the bloat thing really becomes irrelevant as you will flush most of it out of your system.