PDA

View Full Version : net carbs?

yankeekd25
02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
the pure protein bars i eat each have about 15-17 grams of carbs, but on the back of the label it says to only count 3-5 NET carbs, as there are sugar alcohols, and other ingredients that have a lesser effect on blood sugar. my question is which do i count? total or net?

ArchAngel777
02-11-2007, 08:07 PM
my question is which do i count? total or net?

That is a pretty hot topic, however, most sugar alcohols are around 2-3 calories per gram. Dietary fiber, also yields about 1.5 - 2 calories per gram. The result? Well, the best solution in my opinion is to count all the sugar alcohols and dietary fiber and divide in by 2. So, if you have 10 grams of fiber and 10 grams of sorbitol, then you would simply take 10+10 and divide it by two, which yields 10 grams. That is my advice as far as being concerned with the "calories" aspect of it.

yankeekd25
02-11-2007, 08:10 PM
well nah... i mean counting carbs... not total cals....

the doc
02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
count 'em

check out this thread http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3709

ArchAngel777
02-11-2007, 08:22 PM
well nah... i mean counting carbs... not total cals....

Are you doing a ketogenic diet? The link that Doc pointed to is the best source of information on it. You do count them, but not at their full value, because they don't generate the same ammount of energy per weight. So, 10 grams of sorbitol cannot be compared to 10 grams of sugar, even on a ketogenic diet. You are looking at counting 10 grams of sorbitol as 6 grams.

You have to remember when diets and so on prescribe a certain amount of protein, carbs, fat, it is all based on assuming the base energy rate of 4-4-9. It is a simple weight to energy conversion.

yankeekd25
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
ok so on fitday when i go to customize the amount of carbs in my protein bar do i put 29 carbs, or 5 carbs.... (total carbs= 29, Less fiber, sugar alcohol, glycerin= 24) makin a total of 5 net

ArchAngel777
02-11-2007, 08:43 PM
ok so on fitday when i go to customize the amount of carbs in my protein bar do i put 29 carbs, or 5 carbs.... (total carbs= 29, Less fiber, sugar alcohol, glycerin= 24) makin a total of 5 net

Maybe I am not explaining it so others can understand so well so well. You have three options and I will explain them.

1) You can count all the carbs.

2) You can count all the carbs based on their energy level.

3) You only count the net carbs.

Those are your three options. Option #2 is more accurate, but in the end it probably doesn't matter so much. Lets just presume to go with #2.

Since the bar you are eating contains glycerin as the modified alcohol, than you will count every gram in that bar. Glycerin yeilds 4.32 calories per gram. Therefore, the carb count of your particular bar is going to be slightly higher than 29 grams. It would work out to be around 31 grams total. Again, this is more than anal to even write about, but I write about it because I think it is good to understand that not all grams of a carbohydrate are created equal.

yankeekd25
02-11-2007, 09:03 PM
ok thx.... ill just count the number on the package. but thanks for the help... ive learned something man.

MagnaSephiroth
02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I just count them, but I wont really feel that bad if I go over a bit when I have a high amount of fiber (in terms of carbs allowance)

Mr. D
02-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Fitday seems to subtract the fiber content when counting cals from carbs.