PDA

View Full Version : Need rehydrating tips from the gurus

Chris Rodgers
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
My meet is this Saturday. I have been real beat up and feel like crap, but I am resting this whole week. I will weigh-in on Friday morning @148. I have 24 hours to gain as much weight as possible. I will have some help from my buddy who is dropping to 198 from 210-212ish. I don't have much to lose, but would actually like to put back on more weight if possible. Up until the last few months I was weighing between 158-162. If I could get my weight anywhere near that, I would perform much better. So, who has experience, knowledge, any ideas?

So far I know Pedialite/water will be my main liquid consumption for the first 5-6 hours after weigh-in.

I need to have some good ideas for carbs and whether to drink protein shakes or not.

:dj: :alcoholic

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
C'mon. I know some of you know a lot about the body and nutrition. Any advice is appreciated.

What would be your own plan if you were trying to suck as much liquid into your body as possible? What types of carbs, timing, etc.?

02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
personally i would go to crazy worrying about putting weight back on- if all you do in the 24 hours after weigh ins is eat and drink water expecially after being dehydrated you will fell like crap for you comp

02-13-2007, 05:55 PM
try to get your diet back to normal

bill
02-13-2007, 06:18 PM
I've heard gatorade or even diluted gatorade is excellent. One other thing I've read is to stay with the (8.8) things you normally eat. Maybe load up more on creatine?
I would think fast acting carbs, protein. Small meals, sorry all i've got.

Paul Stagg
02-13-2007, 06:32 PM
You want to weigh more on Saturday than you do now?

Not gonna happen with fluids, unless you are taking something that would cause bloat.

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
You want to weigh more on Saturday than you do now?

Not gonna happen with fluids, unless you are taking something that would cause bloat.

Well, my morning weight is typically 152-153, but I have been weighing 155-156 for most of my workouts(6 PM). I was hoping to bloat my way up to that or more by the time I lift.

:dj:

NewTriathlete
02-14-2007, 11:07 AM
No Joke, Pedialyte. Its meant for babies who are suffering from dehydration that can kill them, so its pretty potent stuff. Tastes TERRIBLE, but will rehydrate you quickly. Everyone on my team would pound the stuff after weighins

the doc
02-14-2007, 11:35 AM
i would use the dilute gatorade... going crazy with just water could leave you hyponatrimic (low serum sodium) and have you feeling weak as hell
at least gatorade is somewhat balanced in electrolytes

Holto
02-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Gatorade is designed to dehydrate. Someone posted a thread on it a while back re: the ratio of sodium to potassium.

I vote for pedialyte.

the doc
02-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Gatorade is designed to dehydrate. Someone posted a thread on it a while back re: the ratio of sodium to potassium.

I vote for pedialyte.

strange... what evidence is there? Obviously they would dispute that claim. So many sports programs use it... and yet it decreases their athletes hydration levels and therefore their absolute performance?

gatorade... specifically advertised as a "thirst quencher" and "rehydrator" actually dehydrates. that just doesn't make sense

Chris686
02-14-2007, 02:20 PM

I vote for pedialyte.

You realize how absurd that sounds, don't you?

Holto
02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
strange... what evidence is there?

Here is the report...

http://www.extique.com/robreport-4.htm

You realize how absurd that sounds, don't you?

Yes.

lol

the doc
02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
well normally i agree w/ rob but I think he gets to - almost emotional - about this one

Chris Rodgers
02-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Pedialyte is what I will be using. I got that tip from many other powerlifters. I am actually going to be drinking 1/2 pedialyte and 1/2 water for most of the day. I have also decided to take some creatine with a few hiogh carb drinks. I will most likely eat a few solid meals(I'm thinking Pasta and pizza). I was also given the suggestion of eating large amounts of simple sugar(Swedish fish/twizzlers) to help spike insulin and hopefully absorb the liquids better. We'll see how it goes. I also bought a large bag of potato chips to add sodium to what I eat.

So basically I get to eat like someone who is between the age of 6 weeks and 13 years old. :)

Optimum08
02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
mmmmmm. swedish fish. go with some sour patch kids as well, 2 best chewy candys out there.