PDA

View Full Version : Evil Fats

Turnip
02-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I always hear about people complaining about things with high fats, and I always kind of wonder what they mean and why fats are bad. Are they just under the illusion that fats make you fat or is there some other basis behind what their problem is with it.

VikingWarlord
02-12-2007, 05:27 PM
I always hear about people complaining about things with high fats, and I always kind of wonder what they mean and why fats are bad. Are they just under the illusion that fats make you fat or is there some other basis behind what their problem is with it.

Most of those people are folks that have no idea about anything. A lot of them operate under the assumption that fat makes you fat...why else would it be called "fat"? Since fat contains more calories per gram than carbohydrates or protein, it's easier to overeat...thereby getting fatter.

Like most conventional wisdom, there's not much actual wisdom.

Optimum08
02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
:withstupi, but trans fats have no place in anyone's diet. all of the other forms of fat have a place (even saturated, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, etc.)

Albertz
02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
I just try to avoid saturated fat...

VikingWarlord
02-12-2007, 06:16 PM
:withstupi, but trans fats have no place in anyone's diet

Unless you're trying to kill yourself in a slow and ultimately unpleasant manner.

Albertz
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
But i thought i transfats were good for you?...How can that be?

getfit
02-12-2007, 07:09 PM

trans fats good for you? Where on earth did you hear that?

mickyjune26
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM

Maybe it was a joke?

whiteman90909
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Saturated fat, if im not mistaken, is vital in steroid and testosterone production in your body... too much can raise your cholesterol, but you should defininatly be eating saturated fats.

Edit- To quote Built:

Saturated

When all the available slots on the carbon chain are populated with hydrogen, we say the fat is saturated. Saturated fats are stable at higher heats fry your steak in butter or even coconut oil. While implicated in increasing both good and bad cholesterol, saturated fat is important in the production of steroid hormones, such as testosterone. (24)Unfortunately, saturated fat also increases insulin resistance. So you do need SOME saturated fat in your diet. Just not an all-bacon diet, okay?

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

Optimum08
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
hopefully sarcasm.

Optimum08
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
people have to realize that sarcasm can't be heard over forums.

RedSpikeyThing
02-12-2007, 08:59 PM
If you did nothing else but remove fat from your diet, you would lose weight. Eating less of the most calorie dense food would promote weight loss. Effective? Maybe. Healthy? No.

Albertz
02-12-2007, 09:32 PM
hmm ok...Cause if you look at the fat free margarine for example there are trans fats in there in all of them, so i guese these margarines are doing more bad then good?

Holto
02-12-2007, 10:57 PM
hmm ok...Cause if you look at the fat free margarine for example there are trans fats in there in all of them, so i guese these margarines are doing more bad then good?

It doesn't come from a farm that is for sure.

ShockBoxer
02-13-2007, 07:36 AM
When buying margarine I don't look for 'fat free'. I look for 'trans-fat free'.

On a side note, high fat (.5 g per pound of lbm) cause me nothing but severe intestinal grief. People with IBS have serious issues digesting fats, it seems, even 'healthy' ones. If I'm lucky I can handle half that amount without discomfort. Ok, minimal discomfort. Ok, occassional spikes of agony strong enough to wake me from sleep discomfort. But less frequent.

Evil fats indeed.

Albertz
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Ok, so i looked at my margerine tub and i noticed mono and poly fats. Now i no they are good for you...

PoutineEh
02-13-2007, 02:24 PM
people have to realize that sarcasm can't be heard over forums.

a mandatory smilie should be posted just after any sarcastic comment to avoid confusion:p

BFGUITAR
02-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Everything is good for you in moderation! (except trans-fats which are un-natural and are only found due to the hydrogenation of mono and poly fats. Watch out for commercial baked goods as they use margerine instead of butter because its cheaper and will contain transfat).

If your diet consists of a third saturated, mono and poly, you should be fine! (assuming your not eating in excess).

Optimum08
02-13-2007, 02:54 PM
basically the only fat you should stay totally away from are trans-fats. saturated you need in moderation, and you can go crazy with polyun- and monoun-, but just remember fats are extremely calorically dense.

Turnip
02-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Alright thanks; I figured they just lacked knowledge I just didnt want to say anything and end up sounding dumb. Anyways I thought carbs were worse than fats on a diet since they make you more hungry while fats satisfy more.

Gettin' Big
02-13-2007, 07:01 PM
everyone else covered the whole transfat issue, but one more tip: not all products will say "trans fatty acids" in the ingredients list. Watch out for an ingredient that says "partially hydrogentated oil". It could be multiple kinds of oil, but the key part is the "partially hydrogenated" which is the same thing as trans fatty acids.

whiteman90909
02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
everyone else covered the whole transfat issue, but one more tip: not all products will say "trans fatty acids" in the ingredients list. Watch out for an ingredient that says "partially hydrogentated oil". It could be multiple kinds of oil, but the key part is the "partially hydrogenated" which is the same thing as trans fatty acids.

And on top of that, if a food has .5g of transfat or less, they list it as 0 trans fat, so you may still be eating transfat even it the food seems to not have any. Like GB said, watch for hydrogenated oils.

BFGUITAR
02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Vegetable shortening is the same thing as hydrogenated fats if I remember. Look out for that.

And nothing is bad for you... just dont go crazy.

MagnaSephiroth
02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Its because of companies like Subway that are promoting that all fats are bad. Jerod is the big spokesperson behind this, not revealing how insanely bad his eatting habbits were to lose the weight in the first place.

They should change the name of fat to Lipids or something to avoid all this ignorant confusion.

Gettin' Big
02-13-2007, 10:36 PM
They should change the name of fat to Lipids or something to avoid all this ignorant confusion.

haha, sorry i found it kind of funny because fats are lipids. But I know what you meant. Everyone thinks that anything that says "fat" is bad. I guess thats what you get when the majority of the country believes everything they hear or see on tv.

ShockBoxer
02-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Ok, you're the government and your population is getting really fat really fast. Where do you focus your attention? Educating them (they don't want to be educated) or just telling them fats are bad?

"Hi, I'm someone skinny and popular. Fat makes you fat, fatty, so put down the fat covered donut and fat drenched fries, fat ass"

vs

"Be careful with your fat intake. Stick to poly and monounsaturated sources and balance fat saturates with increased physical activity."

Outside the land of WBB who tuned out the moment the word 'monounsaturated' popped up?

Telling people that fat is bad and to get fat free things is GOOD, not bad. It's ignorance but it's HEALTHY ignorance. The average fast food and instant dinner laden north american diet is HARDLY lacking in enough fats to remain healthy... so by all means tell them that donuts make them fat!