PDA

View Full Version : DE days, keep it pure DE?

IZich
02-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I have a question regarding DE days, and how purely DE it has to be to count as a DE day.
For example, my Bench DE day consists of 8x3 60%1RM speed sets, but I also use that day to work on my pause reps; therefore I also do 5 sets of 5 reps of pause reps on this same day. I also do speed dips (weighted), followed by paused reps of dips.

Is this okay, or is it somehow detrimental to the overall explosiveness of the day's routine?

Thanks.:p

Clifford Gillmore
02-14-2007, 05:05 AM
There is no need to do speed dips..

I would keep DE day DE day, save your paused work for you ME day. You only want to be going heavy one day a week, and 5x5 on DE day would stall out your progress pretty damn quickly.

Isaac Wilkins
02-14-2007, 05:23 AM
The idea of speed dips makes my shoulders scream.

Sleepy Guy
02-14-2007, 12:44 PM
What a DE?

RhodeHouse
02-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Speed bench on DE day. Save your pause work for ME day. Your idea is correct about Speed Day being for speed. But just on the bench. Speed Dips won't make your bench go up. Don't over-complicate things. SFW!

betastas
02-14-2007, 01:29 PM
You do your main lift as DE. The other lifts you do for reps or strength, depending on your schedule. I do DE bench followed by heavy tricep work, then a lot of accessory work for reps. I don't think you can actually maintain dynamic pace for the entire workout.

Sleepy Guy
02-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Alright don't tell me :moon:

betastas
02-14-2007, 06:03 PM
DE = Dynamic Effort.

Commonly derived from Westside Barbell, but independently developed by other coaches.

Laertes
03-23-2007, 02:41 PM
I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread....

Anyway, what is a DE effort day "supposed" to feel like? I just started a Westside-style training routine, and the DE bench day, with 8x3 of 60% of 1 RM felt like no effort. I rested 60 seconds between sets. It felt like nothing. Is it doing anything? It felt like nothing like the ME day.

I guess my questions are:
1) What are DE days supposed to feel like? Should I be sore, for instance?
2) What is the purpose of the DE day? I've heard that I'm generating force, etc., and generating more than with a heavy weight (F= MA), but I don't know what exactly I'm developing.

chris mason
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread....

Anyway, what is a DE effort day "supposed" to feel like? I just started a Westside-style training routine, and the DE bench day, with 8x3 of 60% of 1 RM felt like no effort. I rested 60 seconds between sets. It felt like nothing. Is it doing anything? It felt like nothing like the ME day.

I guess my questions are:
1) What are DE days supposed to feel like? Should I be sore, for instance?
2) What is the purpose of the DE day? I've heard that I'm generating force, etc., and generating more than with a heavy weight (F= MA), but I don't know what exactly I'm developing.

The idea of the day is to work on your ability to explosively move the load through space. A "light" load is a requirement.

Now, my personal opinion is that DE day is really an active recovery day more than it truly improves your ability to explosively move heavy loads.

TommyBoy
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Now, my personal opinion is that DE day is really an active recovery day more than it truly improves your ability to explosively move heavy loads.

That's a very interesting interpretation Chris. I also tend to do a lot of hypertrophy work on DE day. However, I swear by DE Bench, as the resistance really teaches me to perform each rep explosively.

PowerManDL
03-23-2007, 05:55 PM
DE workouts aren't really gonna be active recovery if you're decently strong, or if you're using accommodating resistance at all. If you're new to speed work, or don't have a terribly high 1RM, then it won't have quite the impact.

Chris Rodgers
03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
DE workouts aren't really gonna be active recovery if you're decently strong, or if you're using accommodating resistance at all. If you're new to speed work, or don't have a terribly high 1RM, then it won't have quite the impact.

Exactly.

And like Tommy said, many lifters do repetition work after the speed work. Like 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps on assistance movements(triceps,upper back, lats, delts, etc.).

chris mason
03-23-2007, 08:34 PM
My consideration of active recovery is relative to moving loads in the 90+% range. There is a very different effect on the system.

I am not going to get into an argument, but to believe that moving a load explosively which is 50-60% of one's 1RM in a powerlifting movement is going to increase one's ability to explosively move a load which is 90%+ is to be in error in my opinion (in the sense that there is a direct correlation).