PDA

View Full Version : pasta parties

PoutineEh
02-14-2007, 03:12 PM
this thought crossed my mind the other day. my old high school used to have most their sports teams (soccer, soft/baseball etc.) have pasta parties the night before a big game. was this just for the social gathering and uniting the team, or is there some benefit to eating a bunch of carbs the night before a big game? i could imagine if you had been cutting carbs and you were trying to refeed and do supercompensation this would make sense, but assumig you had a diet most people had (same macros day in/day out; not paying much attention to diet etc.), would a pasta party have much benefit, or would it be stored mostly as fat?

sweitz
02-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Well my father is a runner and he USED to (5 yrs ago) eat a lot of pasta the night before a big race but according to nutritionists now a days, or so he says, this really does not help and he just eats normally.

Buzzsaw
02-14-2007, 05:29 PM
We always had a all-you-can-eat spaghetti night at a local Italian restaurant the night before our games when I played HS football.

KoolDrew
02-14-2007, 05:55 PM
We always did this for football too. I'm interested to hear the responses.

Beast
02-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Great way to fill up those glycogen stores before an endurance event. The best way to do it is to cut back on carbs the week prior, though.
You won't get fat from one night of carb loading.