PDA

View Full Version : Diet soda while cutting

FraNcHiZeKoK
02-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Does diet soda have any effect on a cut?

whiteman90909
02-14-2007, 08:59 PM
If it has 0 calories, no.

pepsihatman
02-14-2007, 10:14 PM
The darker cola's have phosphorous in them which can leech Calcium from you bones. Some diet sodas contain caffeine. Those are the only things I can really think of that might affect someone. I personally drink diet soda every once in a while just for the caffeine without any of that sugar.

MagnaSephiroth
02-14-2007, 10:27 PM
I think becuase its not organic or natural, having a lot of fake stuff in there, it can slightly effect your insulin sensativity.

Optimum08
02-15-2007, 12:15 AM
go ahead. especially since it gets rid of the monotony of water. obviously you can't drink it as a water substitute but every once in a while its fine.

FireRescue
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I am not a fan of aspartame. For me, that would be my biggest concern.

Sidior
02-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I think becuase its not organic or natural, having a lot of fake stuff in there, it can slightly effect your insulin sensativity.

I have never heard this before. Why would this happen?

Beast
02-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Does diet soda have any effect on a cut?
Nope. You might feel bloated from the carbonation, though.

Questor
02-15-2007, 10:19 AM
water

Vapour Trails
02-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Aspartame has no effect on insulin in non-diabetic persons.

SW
02-15-2007, 11:50 AM
FOr me anything but water and skim milk to drink is just filled with waste, syrup, colorings and other artificial **** that I just don't have time for.

sprahl85
02-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Cherry coke zero.... yummmmmy :)

motoko013
02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
i find that after a year of just water or milk, anything else has too much taste for me

BFGUITAR
02-15-2007, 02:08 PM
The darker cola's have phosphorous in them which can leech Calcium from you bones. Some diet sodas contain caffeine. Those are the only things I can really think of that might affect someone. I personally drink diet soda every once in a while just for the caffeine without any of that sugar.

How can phosphorous leech calcium from your bones?
The only thing that I know does that is inadequate calcium and vitamin D intake.

85% of all phosphorous is in our bones! 99% of all our calcium is in our bones as well. Its practically a 1:1 ratio.

If anything it should help. And I dont think pop has nearly enough phsophourous to do any harm.

Really, the only way a person can overdose on a mineral or nutrient is if they take supplements. Otherwise its quite hard (well you could get vitamin A toxcicity from eating polar bear liver).

02-15-2007, 02:45 PM
ive heard the sugar achools which is in aspertame and other non calorie sweeteners have an effect on diet or still have carbs but i've never seen any research on this- i dont see any probelm in having diet pop every once in awhile i like pepsi jazz mmmmmm

Beast
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
I am not a fan of aspartame. For me, that would be my biggest concern.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=16985027&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Ritzol
02-18-2007, 09:26 AM
If you like diet pop, drink it. Simple. ANYTHING can be bad for you when overdone.. whether it be egg whites, chicken, or diet pop.

pepsihatman
02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
How can phosphorous leech calcium from your bones?
The only thing that I know does that is inadequate calcium and vitamin D intake.

85% of all phosphorous is in our bones! 99% of all our calcium is in our bones as well. Its practically a 1:1 ratio.

If anything it should help. And I dont think pop has nearly enough phsophourous to do any harm.

Really, the only way a person can overdose on a mineral or nutrient is if they take supplements. Otherwise its quite hard (well you could get vitamin A toxcicity from eating polar bear liver).

You might be right about the soda not having enough phosphorus to actually do anything. I was relaying what my registered dietitian teach told us.

Here's some info from the University of Maryland: Medical Center

"As dietary phosphorous increases, the need for additional calcium rises as well. The delicate balance between calcium and phosphorous is necessary for proper bone density and prevention of osteoporosis."

And further

"The typical Western diet, however, is imbalanced in these minerals. Most people who consume this type of diet consume roughly two to four times more phosphorus than calcium. For example, meat and poultry contain 10 to 20 times as much phosphorus as calcium, and carbonated beverages such as colas have as much as 500 mg of phosphorus in one serving. When there is more phosphorus than calcium in the system, the body will draw on calcium stored in bones. This can lead to reduced bone mass (namely, osteopenia or osteoporosis) that makes bones brittle and fragile."

Hence increasing osteoclast activity, causing the release of stored calcium from the bones.

(http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Phosphoruscs.html)

Vapour Trails
02-19-2007, 11:46 AM
ive heard the sugar achools which is in aspertame and other non calorie sweeteners have an effect on diet or still have carbs but i've never seen any research on this- i dont see any probelm in having diet pop every once in awhile i like pepsi jazz mmmmmm

Aspartame is not a sugar alcohol, not even close.

pepsihatman
02-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Aspartame is not a sugar alcohol, not even close.

:withstupi

Sugar alcohols are usually in things like sugar free candy. Your body cannot metabolize sugar alcohols like normal sugar and therefore they pass through mostly whole and un-metabolized (if that's a word). Your body will sometimes compensate by adding more water to the bowl mixture.. and you can end up getting the runs from eating too much food containing sugar alcohols. (That's another funny story from my nutrition professor).