PDA

View Full Version : Power of the Mind

vrizzle
02-14-2007, 09:48 PM
A lot of times when I workout I have to tap into what I call my "CNS energy tank". I have to whenever I'm doing jerks, weighted dips, and sometimes bench. Even if its 135 for jerks, I have to start either thinking of things that recently pissed me off (my competition, people in general), or hopes n dreams in the future (qualifying for State, American Open). Same thing for weighted dips. I'm cool w/ it but right after I'm done I'll feel SOOOO mentally drained and worn out, even if its not much weight. The thing about it is I have to get like that or I can't get any lifts, and I'll be more prone to injuring myself. I can't just go through the motions like I used to when the weight was light, if I do that now I'll kill myself. Other exercises I can just do and get it over w/, but those take so much out of me mentally. Is it just me or do other people have this situation when it comes to working out, whether in general, or w/ specific exercises. :bang:

Natetaco
02-14-2007, 11:04 PM
I have to mentally prepare myself for the bench press. It is the lift I have struggled with most since I started lifting and thats the one I have to absolutly get pissed off at when im doing it. Squats are sort of similar but bench is way worse. I definatly have to prepare myself for that lift. I would say just focus the weight and tell yourself you are going to kill the weight. I have never had to put hate into lifting in order to make a pr or whatever.

smokinHawk
02-15-2007, 06:46 AM
if i really want to perform best on my lifts i have to prepare myself mentally, clear my mind, wake myself up and focus on the weight and what i need to do to get it up. its alot mental, if my mind is hazy i dont get what i could have got. getting mad or artificially pumped does nothing for me but make me distracted, its more of a focus of the weight.

bigbadwolfe
02-15-2007, 07:37 PM
The first guy to ever teach me how to bench told me benchpressing is 90% Mental 10% Physical. I firmly believe that myself!! If you go into a lift thinking you aint gonna get it or that you are gonna struggle, well that is whats gonna happen. But if you go in with a mindset of of it is going up no matter what it takes type of attitude you are alot more likely to make the lift.

I agree with a SmokinHawk, I dont need to get artificially pissed off or pumped up. I walk up there think about it for a second and just do it. I have been jacked in the chops before and smacked around, it really did not do much for me other then piss me off for getting smacked.

There is alot of Power in our Heads and mind, we just got to learn how to tap into it and use.

Wolfy!!!!