PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on DL form

Natetaco
02-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Ok so I have been thinking lately that maybe I want to switch to sumo style deads. I have heared all around that most people are able to pull more sumo style compared to conventional. I have always been doing conventional and made pretty good gains but im curious if sumo would be better for powerlifting. My quads way overshadow my glutes and hams and i think sumo would be better for ham/glute strength.

What do you guys think is the better style and why?

Should I just stick with conv, or try sumo?

Chubrock
02-15-2007, 08:31 AM
What are your goals. From what I understand, closer stance squatting and DLing have a much better carryover to sports. If your goal is to just put up big numbers then you might want to take a look at pulling Sumo. If your quads overshadow your hams and glutes though, expect a drop in numbers until you can bring them up to snuff.

Guido
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Ok so I have been thinking lately that maybe I want to switch to sumo style deads. I have heared all around that most people are able to pull more sumo style compared to conventional. I have always been doing conventional and made pretty good gains but im curious if sumo would be better for powerlifting. My quads way overshadow my glutes and hams and i think sumo would be better for ham/glute strength.

What do you guys think is the better style and why?

Should I just stick with conv, or try sumo?There's no harm in trying both (unless you do it right before a competition). I don't know about the part about most people being able to pull more sumo. It depends on one's physiology and technique more than anything else. I personally do not like sumo and find conv. much more natural to me. However, I do like to cycle in sumo on occasion because it helps bring up some weaknesses that carries over to my conv. pulling.

Natetaco
02-15-2007, 08:47 AM
What are your goals. From what I understand, closer stance squatting and DLing have a much better carryover to sports. If your goal is to just put up big numbers then you might want to take a look at pulling Sumo. If your quads overshadow your hams and glutes though, expect a drop in numbers until you can bring them up to snuff.

goals are lifting more, for powerlifting numbers. Dont care about size or whatev, i think my legs are big enough from squatting anyway. I dont know exactly if the glutes/hams are my weak point but i think thats what may be giving me a hard time when squatting. I can front squat 225x5 and 270x5 regular so i think my quads overshadow the rest.

jtteg_x
02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
how big are your legs all around? if you can only back squat 45lb more than your front squat, it sounds like your quads are pretty damn stronger over your hams/glutes.
if i can remember, pulling sumo has more hip/hamstring movement than conv. i myself was in the same position as you and just gave sumo a try. it took few times to get used to it and now i prefer it over conv. cause im less prone to get injured performing them compared to close stance and i just have a better natural feeling of it. i still do both stances

Big o Boy
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
I'm with G on this. I switch up from conventional (where I pull significantly more) to sumo to bring up some of my weaknesses (hip strength, mainly).

I think, but am not sure, people with shorter legs/arms tend to pull sumo more successfully. That's just what I've seen. I could be completely off and that has nothing to do with it all... I'm just throwin' that out there. :D

Natetaco
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
how big are your legs all around? if you can only back squat 45lb more than your front squat, it sounds like your quads are pretty damn stronger over your hams/glutes.
if i can remember, pulling sumo has more hip/hamstring movement than conv. i myself was in the same position as you and just gave sumo a try. it took few times to get used to it and now i prefer it over conv. cause im less prone to get injured performing them compared to close stance and i just have a better natural feeling of it. i still do both stances

I have done sumo before, but i was definatly weaker at it. I got 315x5 on conventional and then got sumo just 315 for 1 awhile back in some workout. I have heard people say its harder at first but then they do it some more and it goes ahead of conventional, its got a shorter ROM and everything.. i dunno. I might just start doing it but i dont want to have to build back up from weak as i have been doing for like a year now, so im not sure yet. But yeah sumo does seem less prone to back injuries and whatnot, i have been ****ed before doing SLDL's. I dunno we will see.

Detard
02-16-2007, 09:14 PM
why not try it out for a week or 2, see how you like it, and if it really feels wrong, switch back to conventional. mabye it will even add some poundages to ur conv. since sumo will develop other muscles that the conventionals dont hit as hard.

Natetaco
02-17-2007, 02:31 PM
im gona finish my korte 8 week cycle first with conventional then go from there, no point in changing form durning a cycle. But yeah im going to start incorporating them more thats for sure.