PDA

View Full Version : DE Squats

IZich
02-14-2007, 10:59 PM
I had trouble today doing DE squats. Either my weight wasnt low enough, but I just wasn't exploding off of my heels to get back up. In bench, the weight was rattling every time I pushed off my chest, but in squat it doesnt accelerate very well until I'm well out of my hole.
For reference, I did 8 sets of 185x3, with my max being 315. What do you guys think? Was my weight too high?

also ME bench tomorrow. can't wait!

BearD
02-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I have the same problem. My max squat is about 450 (raw with belt) but my box squat sucks. I have almost no speed out of the hole. Whether 185 or 225, my speed is about the same and that speed is slow. About 5 inches out of the hole I'm so fast and strong that I can pop 450 right off my back but I'm having so much trouble out of the hole. I,m not sure why...I would like input on this too.

betastas
02-15-2007, 07:45 AM
Were you doing them off a box?

CMAND21
02-15-2007, 08:21 AM
If you find yourself getting stuck in the hole or need build accelleration try staying with that weight but pause the weight on the saftey bars on the rack. It will force you to go deep in order to build the muscles in the hips to you need for acceleration.

Paul Stagg
02-15-2007, 09:34 AM
The point of DE training is to get faster.

So work on getting faster.

Maybe your percentages are off.

drew
02-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Start with a lower box. Your speed will go down but when you move up to a parallel box your speed should be very good.

IZich
02-15-2007, 02:36 PM
thanks for the input, i'll try out you guys's advice this next week.

Chris Rodgers
02-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Also, do doubles on squats instead of triples.

If you are too slow, lower the weight until you speed up. Then gradually add weight.

IZich
02-15-2007, 08:22 PM
chris-

how many sets of doublse should I do? 12?

Detard
02-16-2007, 09:16 PM
8 sets of 2 i think it is. but yeah, try to do some deep box squats, then when you hit them at parallel, it will be much faster.

KeMiKaL
02-17-2007, 10:22 AM
i've got a question too.....when performing the dynamic box squat, are you supposed to do the entire rep as fast as possible (without bouncing off the bench), or just perform the concentric phase as fast as possible, with a slow/controlled eccentric?

I've seen it done both ways, so I'm just wondering if it matters or if it's just personal preference?

KoSh
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't know. I'd think that going fast on the eccentric phase could be on the dangerous side. The explosive aspect of the squat is your concentric phase from the hole position to a near upright position.

But maybe that's just me.

RhodeHouse
02-18-2007, 09:45 AM
As far as speed goes - the eccentric should be fast but under control. When you push off the box, lift it like it's 1,000. Push as hard as you can.

If you're slow off the box, pause for 2 seconds before you come up. You're also, not staying tight in the hole. The other thing about speed is, some people are fast, and some aren't Don't worry about how fast you're moving, worry about how hard you drive the bar up. Exert as much force as possible when doing DE work. Hope that makes sense.

SFW!