PDA

View Full Version : Ketogenic Diet...Where should my fat come from?

LaxGuy16
02-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Looking for foods High in fats, high in protien, pref little to no carbs....

Is peanut butter an ideal food for such a diet (it does contain carbs)....?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
olive oil, flax oil

02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
remember your going to get some fat from your meat to even if its lean

LaxGuy16
02-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Any ideas for post workout carbs?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-15-2007, 03:16 PM
olive oil, flax oilI wouldn't recommend flax oil.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

Looking for foods High in fats, high in protien, pref little to no carbs....It's "protein".

And get lean meat. Tuna is always a good idea. And eat plenty of EFAs (nuts, olive oil, fish oil, avocados, etc...)

Even though some of those probably contain some carbs.

Are you just doing "little or no carbs" or are you actually following a plan from a book?

LaxGuy16
02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
This is the template that I am going to try and following as strictly as possible (not sure if I can get as specific when it comes to the fat break down):

70% total fat on a calorie basis
31% saturated fat
7% polyunsaturated fat
25% monounsaturated fat
7% other fats
27% protein
3% carbohydrates (20 gm of which 3 gm or less is fiber).

02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't recommend flax oil.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284

that link just proved the flax oil is good

supplment facts (right off the back of my bottle of flax oil in my fridge)
serving size:1 Tbsp
calories 130
calories from fat 130
total fat 14g
-saturated fat 1.5g
-trans fat 0g
-polyunsaturated fat 10g
-monounsaturated fat 3g
omega-3 8g
omega-6 2g
omega-9 3g

compared to
extra virgin olive oil
serving size-1Tbsp
calories 120
cals from fat 120
-saturated fat- 2g
-trans fat- 0g
-polyunsaturated fat-2g
-monounsaturated fat- 10g

both have good fats thus proving my point, as a matter of fact the olive oil actually had .5g more saturated fat which isnt a good fat - would i not use olive oil because of that definatly not

02-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Any ideas for post workout carbs?

well post work out you can have some simple sugars if you diet allows it such as an apple, berries or it not
good complex carbs are oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes

ddegroff
02-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Our bodies arn't great at converting ALA to EPA/DHA. Thats why flax isn't the best choice, not because of what kinds of fat it contains. Saturated fat gets a bad rep, we need it, we just don't need a lot of it.

Nevertheless, these claims are possible - IF your body is able to convert the ALA from flax into the EPA/DHA required by your body.

This conversion is enzyme-dependent, and may be even worse in men than it is in women, at least in young men - estrogen appears to be involved in this process.

ALA does not, that I'm aware of, but EPH/DHA may be, at least in the obese. IF your body is able to convert sufficient quantities of the ALA into the usable form, you might be okay.

If you look up the ALA content in flax oil, it's about 50% ALA. If you look up the conversion process of ALA into EPA/DHA, you'll find figures varying from 0.02% to about 6%, maybe 16% if you look to older research on pubmed.

Considering you'd likely need upward of 3g of combined EPA/DHA per day for the effects you're looking for, you better be prepared to DRINK flax oil. By the CUP.

Omega 3 is good stuff, no doubt about it. But flax oil is hardly what I'd suggest as a viable option. Fish oil is so much better a source of the form already usable by the body, flax oil is a non-player, IMO.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=80716&page=3&highlight=conversion+flax+oil

Post #56, this was the only place I could find her deep explanation.

Max Thunder
02-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Why are you using the exact nutrient breakdown from a website stating that animal fat is very healthy, and then you ask others where the fat should come from?

And in my opinion, you should get plenty of animal fat.
Whole chicken, beef, pork, etc.

cts122
02-20-2007, 07:32 AM
This is the template that I am going to try and following as strictly as possible (not sure if I can get as specific when it comes to the fat break down):

70% total fat on a calorie basis
31% saturated fat
7% polyunsaturated fat
25% monounsaturated fat
7% other fats
27% protein
3% carbohydrates (20 gm of which 3 gm or less is fiber).

That is competely unecessary to try to shoot for that breakdown. You WILL get the same results no matter what the quality of your fats are on a ketonic diet. I would just worry about trying to hit about 60-70% fat 30-40% protein.

Foods to look into,
cheap steaks, season with montreal steak seasoning
canned chicken - mix it with canola mayonase and add montery jack or cheddar cheese
Olive oil
low carb protein drinks - you might even consider protein isolate if you are serious about this but you can stay under 20grams with most whey contentrates
eggs - raw eggwhites with some spenda

peanut butter should not be part of this diet and can be used only if you are cycling carbs on the weekend but definatly not during the week.
The 20gram carb allowance is strictly an allowance however carbs should be avoided even post workout as much as possible for best results.

the doc
02-20-2007, 07:42 AM
generally i like to get the non-meat fats from vegetable sources such as olive oil, fish oil, walnuts, eggs

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-20-2007, 03:49 PM
that link just proved the flax oil is good

supplment facts (right off the back of my bottle of flax oil in my fridge)
serving size:1 Tbsp
calories 130
calories from fat 130
total fat 14g
-saturated fat 1.5g
-trans fat 0g
-polyunsaturated fat 10g
-monounsaturated fat 3g
omega-3 8g
omega-6 2g
omega-9 3g

compared to
extra virgin olive oil
serving size-1Tbsp
calories 120
cals from fat 120
-saturated fat- 2g
-trans fat- 0g
-polyunsaturated fat-2g
-monounsaturated fat- 10g

both have good fats thus proving my point, as a matter of fact the olive oil actually had .5g more saturated fat which isnt a good fat - would i not use olive oil because of that definatly notThe link and my comment were not supposed to be correlated. I should set up my posts better. Anyway, some of the negative sides in males with flax oil steers me away from it entirely.