PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on improving speed?

twcolabear
02-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Guys,

all of you that do martial arts, what do you work on to improve you speed? I do TKD, and I'm very slow which is not good when I am sparring. I think I'm naturally slow moving, so any suggestions to improve that would help.
Thanks

Clifford Gillmore
02-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Lots of things really, heavy glove training, plyometrics, strength training. I'm not that knowledgeable :/

KoSh
02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
What kind of speed are you looking to increase? a 40yard dash? a 400 meter relay? a >1 mile run?

Maki Riddington
02-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Bottom line, get stronger. It's the fastest and easiest way to get quicker.

Dinosaur
02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Guys,

all of you that do martial arts, what do you work on to improve you speed? I do TKD, and I'm very slow which is not good when I am sparring. I think I'm naturally slow moving, so any suggestions to improve that would help.
Thanks

There's actually a couple very effective ways:

1) Technique. How good is it? It can always get better. More efficient technique means a smoother and much faster delivery. This means lots of reps with your basics.

2) Relaxation. Tension kills speed. Find a good relaxation exercise and stick with it. I personally like one very similar to this link, though I do mine lying down: http://www.utexas.edu/student/utlc/class/mkg_grd/relaxationexercise.html

3) Flexibility. The more flexible you are, the greater your ROM will be and the smoother your technique will be. Smooth is fast.

Once you get these, you'll notice a huge improvement in your speed. If you're looking for more, then you can start looking into the Olympic lifts and plyometrics. These three will definitely keep you busy for quite a while though.