PDA

View Full Version : bench press grip

SaVvY
02-16-2007, 03:28 PM
are you allowed to use a narrow grip in comp? im not sure ill ever do a powerlifting comp, but im just wondering if it matters where the grip is

KevinStarke
02-16-2007, 03:32 PM
You can go as close as you want, there are regulations on how wide you can though.

SaVvY
02-16-2007, 03:58 PM
You can go as close as you want, there are regulations on how wide you can though.
sweet - thanks man

levronefan
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
would that be the limit of having your index finger on the ring??

Natetaco
02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
would that be the limit of having your index finger on the ring??

I dont see how people can do that, when i put my pinky on the rings it feels like my shoulders are goin to rip out.

jtteg_x
02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
for me, it was something i had to get used to. after working with a wider grip, i was able to bench much more with lesser ROM.

just curious, whats the limit on how wide u can go on the bench in comps?

levronefan
02-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont see how people can do that, when i put my pinky on the rings it feels like my shoulders are goin to rip out.

thats how i bench.........

The Champion
02-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Wider grip also allows you to use more of your triceps. Narrow grip focuses more on pecs only.

Gettin' Big
02-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Wider grip also allows you to use more of your triceps. Narrow grip focuses more on pecs only.

then why do people do close-grip bench to work their triceps?

SaVvY
02-18-2007, 12:16 PM
close grip as in index bang on where the knurling ends on the inside

champion - its the other way around, wider is more chest, narrow is more triceps

KevinStarke
02-18-2007, 12:28 PM

I have midget arms and I put my ring fingers on the rings. It's all about adjusting.

rmccray
02-18-2007, 01:51 PM

who ever taught you that is crazy closer for more triceps wider for more chest

zen
02-18-2007, 02:05 PM
yeah, I bench with my ring finger on the rings. lol, fitting eh?
I do close grip bench sometimes at the end of triceps routine.

Stumprrp
02-18-2007, 05:02 PM
i bench index on ring, wide as you can go, with an arch and tucked elbows its very efficiant, every other lift i use a pinkys on ring or closer.

savvy - using a close grip is fine but you might be able to do more weight wider, i know you use it to help your overhead

SaVvY
02-19-2007, 06:32 AM
i bench index on ring, wide as you can go, with an arch and tucked elbows its very efficiant, every other lift i use a pinkys on ring or closer.

savvy - using a close grip is fine but you might be able to do more weight wider, i know you use it to help your overhead
i actually cant haha i spent like i donno 4-5 months training shoulders an triceps, without really training chest at all, an now it seems my triceps are stronger than my chest - my chest strength does not exist though! need to get 50kg bells pressed asap

rbar89
02-19-2007, 08:52 PM

no bro its the opposite, nice try tho :bash:

WestsideWarrior
02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
who ever taught you that is crazy closer for more triceps wider for more chest

No, whoever taught YOU is crazy. Closer = triceps/biceps, Wider = chest.

EDIT: triceps*

jtteg_x
02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
No, whoever taught YOU is crazy. Closer = biceps, Wider = chest.

:bang:

DiViN
02-24-2007, 03:48 AM
Come on, close grip is biceps?? wide grip is triceps?? As much as there is good info on this forum there is twice as much crap, it would be nice if there was some kind of lifting aptitude test to take to be able to give advice.

vrizzle
02-24-2007, 02:05 PM
sort of on the same topic, what is the ideal grip. I'm skinny and have long arms so... please help out

Blackcat
02-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Assuming your gaol is to bench more weight wide grip(forefinger to pinkys on rings grip whatever feels most comfortable) with a big arch w/ elbows tucked at your sides. You should be benching w/ most of the weight on your upper back/traps. Before liftoff have arch and feet set, squeeze shoulder blades together start hammering. Between a wide grip and big arch your range of motion is greatly reduced.

Nik00117
02-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Most powerlifters l ike to go wide, cause the bench shirt helps your chest the most thoughfore you want to emphasie chest.

Although tris are critical in the lift as well.