PDA

View Full Version : Osgood-Schlatter and Squatting

KoSh
02-17-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm beginning Bill Starr's 5x5 on Monday, and I'm psyched. But I'm also kinda nervous.

I got Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was younger. For those that don't know, it's most likely caused by the quadriceps powerful contraction on the tibial tuberosity.

The disease is supposed to take a few years to heal. However, almost ten full years after getting it, any time I go below parallel for squats I can barely walk the next few days due to severe pain in the tibial tuberosity.

I want to get the best results possible when doing the squat aspect of the program, but at the same time I want to be able to walk. I hate not doing ATF squats, but it seems like I should only be going parallel at most.

Does anyone else go through this? Or know of any cheap braces to put on my knee when squatting to kind of "relieve" a bit of the stress I'm putting on?

Any comments/help are appreciated.

Gettin' Big
02-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmmm, the only thing that I can think of is that sometimes with Osgood-Schlatter's you may get an avulsion fracture of the tibial tuberosity. If this did happen it may have not healed correctly. Have may want to have an x-ray taken. Other than that I don't know because usually the pain dissipates when growth ceases and the tuberosity fuses with the rest of the bone. Sorry, i guess i'm not much help.

RichMcGuire
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm beginning Bill Starr's 5x5 on Monday, and I'm psyched. But I'm also kinda nervous.

I got Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was younger. For those that don't know, it's most likely caused by the quadriceps powerful contraction on the tibial tuberosity.

The disease is supposed to take a few years to heal. However, almost ten full years after getting it, any time I go below parallel for squats I can barely walk the next few days due to severe pain in the tibial tuberosity.

I want to get the best results possible when doing the squat aspect of the program, but at the same time I want to be able to walk. I hate not doing ATF squats, but it seems like I should only be going parallel at most.

Does anyone else go through this? Or know of any cheap braces to put on my knee when squatting to kind of "relieve" a bit of the stress I'm putting on?

Any comments/help are appreciated.

First, I think its awsome that inspite of this disease, you are still in the gym doing squats. I cant tell you how many excuses I hear from people as to why they cant workout.. So, its nice to know theres some dedicated people out there still.

Second, Miejer or walmart has a lot of cheap knee braces that keep warmth on the area. One of these braces helped me greatly on my elbow.

Third, have you asked a doctor about what you might be able to do? Is there any medication to not feel so much pain the next day?

KoSh
02-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Hmmm, the only thing that I can think of is that sometimes with Osgood-Schlatter's you may get an avulsion fracture of the tibial tuberosity. If this did happen it may have not healed correctly. Have may want to have an x-ray taken. Other than that I don't know because usually the pain dissipates when growth ceases and the tuberosity fuses with the rest of the bone. Sorry, i guess i'm not much help.

First, I think its awsome that inspite of this disease, you are still in the gym doing squats. I cant tell you how many excuses I hear from people as to why they cant workout.. So, its nice to know theres some dedicated people out there still.

Second, Miejer or walmart has a lot of cheap knee braces that keep warmth on the area. One of these braces helped me greatly on my elbow.

Third, have you asked a doctor about what you might be able to do? Is there any medication to not feel so much pain the next day?

Big,

Thanks for the reply. I found it odd as well that it still hasn't healed. It's been ten years like I said in my previous post. The only strange thing is that the knee doesn't really hurt when doing any other sort of activity. It's got a full ROM with no pain. It only hurts (and hurts in a very unfriendly way) after doing ATF squats.

Rich,

Thanks for the kind words. I do my best. Not only do I "wannabebig", but I want to be healthy as well.

I'll check those stores this upcoming week.

The doctor I asked looked at me like I had six heads when I told them it still hurt. They didn't take an xray, they attributed it to tendonitis. Which very well could be the case. But I may go get a second opinion.

RichMcGuire
02-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Big,

Thanks for the reply. I found it odd as well that it still hasn't healed. It's been ten years like I said in my previous post. The only strange thing is that the knee doesn't really hurt when doing any other sort of activity. It's got a full ROM with no pain. It only hurts (and hurts in a very unfriendly way) after doing ATF squats.

Rich,

Thanks for the kind words. I do my best. Not only do I "wannabebig", but I want to be healthy as well.

I'll check those stores this upcoming week.

The doctor I asked looked at me like I had six heads when I told them it still hurt. They didn't take an xray, they attributed it to tendonitis. Which very well could be the case. But I may go get a second opinion.

I think its always helpful to get a second opinion.

One of my uncles was in a coma. He was under the supervision of another Doctor who's name I will leave blank.

My uncle, (who is one of the top doctors in the U.S) came down to check on him and found all sorts of wrong practices that were present. If he hadnt of come down, my other uncle would have probably not made it.

So, they sued, and you get the idea.

Oh and dont mention it. I dont think I will ever miss a workout day because Im too tired after reading your thread, lol.

Gettin' Big
02-17-2007, 12:24 PM
The only strange thing is that the knee doesn't really hurt when doing any other sort of activity. It's got a full ROM with no pain. It only hurts (and hurts in a very unfriendly way) after doing ATF squats.

squats may cause the pain because the quads are placing a significant pull on the knee cap as they contract and the bottom of the knee cap has a ligament attatchment to the tibial tuberosity. So in an indirect way there is a pulling force being put on the tibial tuberosity. But regardless, I agree with Rich in that you should get a second opinion. If a M.D. didn't help the first time you could give a chiropractor a shot.

Lones Green
02-17-2007, 04:55 PM
hey man, i have osgood schlatters, it only bothers me in one of my knees, and i still squat. granted its going to hurt, i think its actually helped me overcome some of the pains. i've squatted with it for 2 years, and slowly but surely its gotten better. i'm not sure if this is just time, or if squats are helping me out. whatever im doing, it seems to be working.

phatmonky
02-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Consult a doctor before starting any exercise program.

Not being sarcastic for once, I really do agree with this statment. Go get checked out before you hit those squats hard. You can work around a problem and possibly assist it in healing, but if you have something that still needs attention, you may make matters worst.

Congrats on the dedication though!

Sensei
02-18-2007, 06:14 AM
See a doctor and have someone knowledgeable (not just some big knucklehead) check your squat form.

VDubb
02-20-2007, 01:53 PM
I suffer from tendonitis in both knees. Chopat straps have helped me during basketball, and I've been using them on leg days as well. I'll sometimes use a full brace as well for warmth.

My experience has been that squats are helping my legs get stronger, which will in turn reduce the stress on my knees in the future. Unfortunately, the only real way to heal tendonitis is rest, which is a concept I can't seem to grasp.

I just keep the weight low enough so that I'm not in pain. I still get effective workouts though. Try to find a balance.....