PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting Training

Detard
02-18-2007, 02:56 PM
As some of you may know I am trying to get into powerlifting. I have just finished my 3 month 4 day split, and taking a week off before starting a new powerlifting routine. I am looking to start a VERY simple, 3 day workout including OLY lifts, Powerlifting, and then alternatives like lunges and good mornings.

this is what i have come up with

Day 1 (Alternate) DE

Lunges 3x5
Incline DB Bench 3x5
Good Mornings 3x5

Day 2 (Powerlifting) ME

Squat 3x3
Bench 3x3
Deadlift 3x3

Day 2 (Olympic) SE

Squat 3x8
Push Press 3x8
Clean 3x8

Weekly Setup

Monday.......Day 1
Tuesday......OFF
Wednesday..OFF
Thursday.....Day 2
Friday.........OFF
Saturday.....Day 3
Sunday.......OFF

Basically Day 1 will be Dynamic, Day 2 will be maximal and Day 3 will be with strict form.

olympic day will be ATG squats, full cleans (is it better to have full cleans or power cleans?) and push press

I am trying to bench, squat and deadlift twice a week, one heavy and one light. i am thinking about doing snatches instead of cleans, rack pulls instead of good mornings and strict shoulder press instead of pushpress.

i know it looks like low volume but the intensity is going to be very high. i would like to mabye add in some accessory work for calves, bi's, tri's and traps, but im not sure where to put it? what do u think of this routine? good or ****?

Detard
02-18-2007, 04:17 PM
this might actually be better suited to the powerlifting forum. if someone wanted to move it that would be fine.

Natetaco
02-18-2007, 04:18 PM
hate to break it to you but you should just start fresh with a new routine. And if you looking on competing, its probably gona be hard to do powerlifting AND olympic stuff, but i guess its possible.

answers to your questions.

full cleans are better than powercleans if your looking to do olympic stuff but powercleans are easyer to do, cleans take forever to get good form(at least for me).

Id say do bill starr's 5x5 and you can substitute the rows for powercleans or cleans and the military presses for push presses.

Chris Rodgers
02-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I don't like it. Where are the rows and heavy back work? O don't think lunges are useful.

What are your short term goals?

Detard
02-18-2007, 04:54 PM
nate - well i just was adding in oly stuff because i thought it would help carry over to my PL lifts. (ATG squats will carry over to Parallel squats, cleans will help with explosion off the floor on deadlift..etc) i just got off a 5x5 routine and am looking for a 3x3.

chris - this is a powerlifting routine. it is meant to focus on the lifts instead of body parts. short term goals are squat: 275, bench 245 and deadlift:405 at 165lbs.

as i said, i just finished a 5x5 and i'm looking to start training the lifts (big 3).

edit: i am only going to compete in powerlifting, not olympic lifting.

Chris Rodgers
02-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Why not do a squat day, bench day, dl day? Or sq/dl days and bench days and just alternate every week?

I like the idea of only using a few big movements, but you want to make sure you are hitting the right movements and getting enough rest between sessions.

Detard
02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
true. so mabye something like

day1
squat
deadlift
lunges
good mornings or rackpulls

day2
bench
t-bar row
incline bench
pullups

day 3
dips
calf raises
skulls
curls

something like that? the thing i like about my first routine is i hit the big movements twice per week. so mabye i just need to refine it abit and add some rows and calf raises and stuff.

another thought i just had. since i am trying to get bigger at the same time, mabye i should stick with a body part routine because since im still pretty new to lifting (only a year and a half) i would still benifit strength from a bodypart split?? i'm kinda torn between routines. i know that no matter what i choose I'll make gains on it but I know myself (very competitive) and I really wanna push for those high numbers at meets.

Chris Rodgers
02-18-2007, 06:36 PM
true. so mabye something like

day1
squat
deadlift
lunges
good mornings or rackpulls

day2
bench
t-bar row
incline bench
pullups

day 3
dips
calf raises
skulls
curls

something like that? the thing i like about my first routine is i hit the big movements twice per week. so mabye i just need to refine it abit and add some rows and calf raises and stuff.

another thought i just had. since i am trying to get bigger at the same time, mabye i should stick with a body part routine because since im still pretty new to lifting (only a year and a half) i would still benifit strength from a bodypart split?? i'm kinda torn between routines. i know that no matter what i choose I'll make gains on it but I know myself (very competitive) and I really wanna push for those high numbers at meets.

I don't like this either.

You are new, so the bodypart split is no good. Leave that for bodybuilders. You will do well on a 3-4 day routine that focuses on the big movements. What's with the lunges? You see Ronnie Colememan do them and think they are needed to squat big?

SQ/DL

Squats
Box squats
Zerchers squats
Front squats
Goodmornings
Conventional DL
Sumo DL
Pulls standing on mats/blocks
Pulls from a rack or with plates raised on mats/blocks
Stiff-legged deads(both conv and sumo)

Bench

Flat bench
Inclines
Declines
Dips
Floor press
Board press(if you have training partners)
lockouts
Shoulder presses
DB versions of any of the above

Assistance

Weighted ab work
heavy rows(BB, T-bar, DB)
chins/pullups
rear delts(face pulls or laterals)
shrugs

I realize you lift at home, so equipment is limited. That is fine, you are better off with the basics. Focus on the big 3. Learn the form. Move the weight up when your form is perfect and bust your ass on the assistance stuff to get stronger. Sample week:

Day 1
Squat
Front squat
heavy row
ab work

Day 2
Bench
Inclines
dips
Chins

Day 3
Sumo deadlift
SLDL
Shrugs
Rear delts
Ab work

Something simple like that. Then the next week do 2 bench sessions and one SQ/DL or do the same way....1 squat, 1 bench, 1 dl. Do the same exercises for 3-4 weeks and then substitute new ones.

Detard
02-18-2007, 08:29 PM
yeah thanks for the info. as for the lunges, i find that they are what really kills me when i incorporate them to my routine. doing them really heavy works well for me.

i have all the equipment needed at home, power rack, oly bars, benches, dumbells...etc.

i would appreciate if some of the other powerlifting guys could give me some tips aswell.

Detard
02-18-2007, 08:40 PM
hey chris i just looked at some of your videos. great job man!

RhodeHouse
02-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't like it either. I wrote an article for Elitefts about a 3 day PL split. It's from a year or more ago, but it worked well for me. Olympic lifting won't help your PL lifts as much as just training the PL lifts will. Read the Westside stuff and keep asking questions. SFW!

Detard
02-19-2007, 06:49 PM
so hows this then

day 1

t-bar row 3x5
Pullups 3x5
Calf Raises 3x5
power cleans 3x5
Heavy BB curls 2x5

Day 2

Squat 3x3
Bench 3x3
Deadlift 3x3

Day 3

Dips 3x8
Millitary press 3x8
Box Squats 3x8
Rack Pulls 3x8

does that seem better?

and do it like:

sunday: off
monday: day 1
tuesday: off
wendesday: day 2
thursday: off
friday: off
saturday: day 3

that way i can include back + accessore work for calves, bi's, tri's and shoulders, but still have a day devoted to powerlifting.

edit:: mabye this routine isnt so good either. i think i understand what your saying now by putting squat bench and dead all on differnt days.

Chris Rodgers
02-19-2007, 07:14 PM
so hows this then

edit:: mabye this routine isnt so good either. i think i understand what your saying now by putting squat bench and dead all on differnt days.

:study: :D

Focus on the big three. Get your form on point. Use a few other compund movements to strengthen the muscles that move the weights. Eat a lot, sleep a lot, put more weight on the bar.

Detard
02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
cool. thanks alot for the advice. i appreciate it!

Chris Rodgers
02-19-2007, 07:24 PM
No problem. I wish I had started powerlifting at your age. You have a long time to lift in front of you. Start with the basics and you will reap the rewards in the future.

Detard
02-25-2007, 10:31 PM
So this is what i'm going to be working on for the next while:

Day 1 (chest + bi's)

Flat Bench 3x3
Low Incline Bench 3x5
Chinups/ pullups 3x3
Heavy BB curls 3x5
Abs

Day 2 (legs + shoulders)

Squat 3x3
Front Squat 3x5
Calf Raises 3x5
Shoulder press 3x3
Shrugs 3x5

Day 3 (back + tri's)

Deadlift 3x3
T-bar Rows 3x5
Rack Pulls 3x5
Dips 3x3
Skullcrushers 3x5
Abs

hows that look? alright? if its no good then i'll just go with what chris suggested.

Mik
02-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Sample week:

Day 1
Squat
Front squat
heavy row
ab work

Day 2
Bench
Inclines
dips
Chins

Day 3
Sumo deadlift
SLDL
Shrugs
Rear delts
Ab work

Something simple like that. Then the next week do 2 bench sessions and one SQ/DL or do the same way....1 squat, 1 bench, 1 dl. Do the same exercises for 3-4 weeks and then substitute new ones.

I may give this split a go. Looks really good!

RhodeHouse
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
I would do what Chris suggested, also. You need to think about PL training as training a movement, not a muscle group. It's not chest day, it's bench day. BIG difference. It's not triceps, it's lockout strength. Only do exercises that help the 3 lifts improve. Everything else is a waste of time and energy, IMO.

Chris Rodgers
02-26-2007, 03:31 PM
I would do what Chris suggested, also. You need to think about PL training as training a movement, not a muscle group. It's not chest day, it's bench day. BIG difference. It's not triceps, it's lockout strength. Only do exercises that help the 3 lifts improve. Everything else is a waste of time and energy, IMO.

Very well said.:cool:

Killa Kurt
02-26-2007, 06:14 PM
I don't like it. Where are the rows and heavy back work? O don't think lunges are useful.

What are your short term goals?

Chris nice lifts, how long have you been competing?

Chris Rodgers
02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Chris nice lifts, how long have you been competing?

Thanks. My first year of powerlifting and competing was 2002. So 5 years now. The last 2 years or so I have sucked at meets, so I need to pull my head out of my ass. :moon:

Detard
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the help in here guys. Its really helped alot!