PDA

View Full Version : Breakdancing

Hazerboy
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm picking up breakdancing again, the problem is I've gained a good 30-40 lbs since I did it on a regular basis. I'm finding several poses are much harder to hold now that I'm bigger (stuff like http://http://www.recsports.ufl.edu/ContentManagedImages/sport%20clubs/sc_breakdance.jpg

And I was wondering if there was any way to develop better isometric strength in the weight room, or if its better to just work on holding the pose over and over. If the case is the latter, how long should I hold it (till exhaustion?) and how often should I work on it (every day? couple times a week?)

I'm also working on developing my overhead strength for handstand type maneuvers. Currently I'm AWFUL at handstand pushups, so I'm doing overhead presses/squats until I can knock out a couple (I'm currently repping about 100 lbs. :( ). Any advice on this?

Finally I've found a friend who can get me into a gymnastics place for free during their off hours. They have a foam pit so I was hoping to work on various flips/aerials etc. I was thinking of just taking a class at the gymnastics place, but I'm not sure how much of that stuff can actually be *taught.* Isn't most of it just having the balls to commit to the flip, or is there actually a method to teaching it?

manowar669
02-20-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm picking up breakdancing again

:zipit: I'm sorry, I couldn't get past that first phrase. I can't offer any advice. I survived the age of breakdance, and like smallpox, if you survive it, you never have to go through it again.

Hazerboy
02-20-2007, 12:14 PM
hahahaha. I think its changed just a bit since the 80s. ;)

manowar669
02-20-2007, 05:40 PM
hahahaha. I think its changed just a bit since the 80s. ;)

It sucks MORE!!???

Hazerboy
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Burn!

Anyways, so about developing isometric strength...

RookieHooks
02-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Here's the deal bro...

Break dancing is a dance that focuses around a entirely different type of muscle than weight-lifting (Fast-twitch Muscle Fiber)...
In actuality the more gains you make in the gym, the harder its gonna be to break dance... Break dancers want long lean "light" muscles....the bulkier you are the more weight your throwing around in moves like the windmill, the flair or halos...

so the question is, do you want a break dancers physique or a body builders?

And yes there is technique to flips...thats what exorcises like the "bridge" were created for...

Hazerboy
02-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I do strength training more then I do bodybuilding - mostly real world and large compound lifts, I don't plan on weighing more then 190 at 5'11, and I'm pretty lean. I've seen some big breakers before though, but I'm also shocked at the isometric strength some of the real little guys have.