PDA

View Full Version : HIIT with distance instead of time in water

BFGUITAR
02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Since im thinking of doing HIIT in the water (alot more fun than running) I wont be able to time myself easily (I could use my wrist watch but I dont wan tot constantly be looking while swimming)

So say the pool is 25m long... Could I do something like this?

1) 4 lap warm up of back crawl
2) 1 lap of vigerous front crawl
3) 2 laps of moderate back crawl
4) Repeat 7-8 times
5) 5 laps of moderate back crawl or front crawl

My knowledge of HIIT is limited, so if this is a bad idea please inform me.
My goal of course is to get better, but if I push myself, ill naturally get better without having to time myself. Although, I could see how long it takes me to do the whole set rather than each lap? Just an idea.

McVein
02-20-2007, 11:34 AM
are you a good swimmer? why the change of stroke?

ericg
02-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Sounds fine to me. Just as long as its high intensity and done in intervals you are good to go. Your plan is much like running sprints: 40yds - 15s break - 40yds.

Enjoy

Kelly Bruno
03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
4) Repeat 7-8 times

The concept is certainly correct. High Intensity Interval Training mostly requires that there be a period of high intensity followed by an almost equal period of rest (or low intensity interval). It does not necessarily need to be defined by time. Track athletes often do HIIT workouts using set distances like 100m, 200m, etc depending on the distance they are training for. I would recommend timing each lap though so that you can judge the intensity relative to baseline. Time how long it takes to do 25m of freestyle (or whatever stroke of choice) at a high intensity and then time each interval during your workout to maintain that intensity.

I do a similar workout for my triathlon training, mostly to work on speed development. And that is my next question. When you say you want to get better, is your goal to get faster or is your goal to become a better swimmer (ie: better form)? I would also suggest throwing in a couple laps worth of form work as well at the beginning of your workout.

BFGUITAR
03-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Well backcrawl is a less intense stroke (in my opinion) than front crawl. I expend less energy doing this stroke, making it good to do during my rest.

Im a decent swimmer... I know my strokes and teach swimming to kids as well as lifegaurd.

My goals in general are to lose body fat, become a better swimmer, and get into better shape.

Mostly to lose fat.

Kelly Bruno
03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
My goals in general are to lose body fat, become a better swimmer, and get into better shape.

Mostly to lose fat.

If your general goal is to lose fat then I would recommend also mixing in some cardio workouts on a bike or track. Although swimming puts less stress on your joints, even at high intensity you won't burn nearly as many calories as you would running or biking.

A 200 lb individual swimming at a 25 yds/min pace (about 1 lap/min) will burn 358 calories/hour. Broken down that is 358 calories/60 laps or 6 calories/lap.

If you are to do the following workout:
4) Repeat 7 times
you will swim a total of 30 laps. Some of these laps might be faster than 25yds/min and some slower so lets assume that you average out to about 25yds/min pace.

30 laps X 6 calories/lap = 180 calories

Compare that to even walking at 4.5 mph for 30 mins, during which a 200 lb individual would burn around 285 calories.

Just food for thought. Like I said above, I would consider mixing in some walking, running, biking or even elliptical once a week to burn more calories per given time if your goal is primarily to lose fat.

BFGUITAR
03-05-2007, 02:56 PM
If your general goal is to lose fat then I would recommend also mixing in some cardio workouts on a bike or track. Although swimming puts less stress on your joints, even at high intensity you won't burn nearly as many calories as you would running or biking.

A 200 lb individual swimming at a 25 yds/min pace (about 1 lap/min) will burn 358 calories/hour. Broken down that is 358 calories/60 laps or 6 calories/lap.

If you are to do the following workout:
4) Repeat 7 times
you will swim a total of 30 laps. Some of these laps might be faster than 25yds/min and some slower so lets assume that you average out to about 25yds/min pace.

30 laps X 6 calories/lap = 180 calories

Compare that to even walking at 4.5 mph for 30 mins, during which a 200 lb individual would burn around 285 calories.

Just food for thought. Like I said above, I would consider mixing in some walking, running, biking or even elliptical once a week to burn more calories per given time if your goal is primarily to lose fat.

lol!!!!!!!!!!
1 lap per minute? My grandma could do that.
I see your just using it as an example though.

And where did you get the 358 calories?

hiitfreak
04-11-2007, 09:05 PM

The change of stroke is good for HIIT, if you switch back crawl in your active rest period, it makes it easier to suck in the oxygen which you should need after a huge effort in your high intensity interval!