PDA

View Full Version : Foods that make you bloat

teenathlete3030
02-21-2007, 06:11 AM
Do some foods make you bloat, or look bigger, even though there might not be any noticeable gain in weight? It seems like sometimes depending on what I eat by belly will bulge out, and other times not. This is in the morning, so I haven't really eaten for hours.

Ritzol
02-26-2007, 06:31 AM
Carbs

RedSpikeyThing
02-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Carbs

specifically insoluble fiber

getfit
02-26-2007, 09:06 AM
Carbs

yep,agreed

teenathlete3030
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
thanks, now i don't have to wonder anymore.

teenathlete3030
02-28-2007, 05:44 AM
What about whey protein? I know that it's not carbs, but is there a chance my body reacts to it that way? It certainly seems like it sometimes.

Ritzol
02-28-2007, 03:40 PM
yes: I think protein is derived from milk?? It makes me bloat sometimes, and in addition I think it also has sugar alcohols in it.

pbaddict
02-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Sugar-free gum. Not a food but damn...:(

MagnaSephiroth
02-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Personally I think people over react to carbs. A lot of people say they make you feel less full, they bloat you, and all kinds of things. I have never had that problem. Most carbs can be "fluffed" with water. Oatmeal, grits, soup, Noodles, rice. A whole bowl of oatmeal could have less calories then a 3 oz piece of meat, but it obviously fills you up more, cause of all the water.

Carbs dont make you feel satisfied? Again, I don't believe it, fiber can make you feel satisfied for a long time. Carbs make me feel energized and therefore not worrying about being hungry or not.

All this anti-carb crap came from the extreme obsession with the carbs are evil that the Atkins diet started. I am currently cutting right now, and my carb meals are the ones I look forward to cause they fill me up, I stay satisfied, and I personally don't experiance any more bloating then I would if I drank a ton of water, you pee all the extra water out, big deal.

To answer your question, any food can make you bloat. Any liquid can make you bloat. If your thirsty and down 3 bottles of water, your going to bloat. If you eat oatmeal with 5 cups of water in it, your going to bloat. Best advice is to just eat and drink slow so you dont swallow huge pockets of air, and stay away from carbination during big meals.

teenathlete3030
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Best advice is to just eat and drink slow so you dont swallow huge pockets of air, and stay away from carbination during big meals.

I think that's it. I am one of the fastest eaters I know. One person described my eating as swallowing, not eating. Mabye I really should slow it down a bit. I never thought of that before, but it makes sense.

Ritzol
03-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Personally I think people over react to carbs. A lot of people say they make you feel less full, they bloat you, and all kinds of things. I have never had that problem. Most carbs can be "fluffed" with water. Oatmeal, grits, soup, Noodles, rice. A whole bowl of oatmeal could have less calories then a 3 oz piece of meat, but it obviously fills you up more, cause of all the water.

Carbs dont make you feel satisfied? Again, I don't believe it, fiber can make you feel satisfied for a long time. Carbs make me feel energized and therefore not worrying about being hungry or not.

All this anti-carb crap came from the extreme obsession with the carbs are evil that the Atkins diet started. I am currently cutting right now, and my carb meals are the ones I look forward to cause they fill me up, I stay satisfied, and I personally don't experiance any more bloating then I would if I drank a ton of water, you pee all the extra water out, big deal.

To answer your question, any food can make you bloat. Any liquid can make you bloat. If your thirsty and down 3 bottles of water, your going to bloat. If you eat oatmeal with 5 cups of water in it, your going to bloat. Best advice is to just eat and drink slow so you dont swallow huge pockets of air, and stay away from carbination during big meals.

Well, no one said carbs were evil in this thread. It was simply stated that carbs in general attract more water and thus are likely to make you bloat as opposed to foods primarily composed of protein or fat.

As far as sugar-free gum I hear ya, all those sugar alchs :(

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-01-2007, 11:21 AM
^^

Yeah. The sugar alcohol in most gum is pretty nasty on the stomach, for me anyway.

MagnaSephiroth
03-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I have never had problems with gum. Most likely due to excess swallowing of air or something.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-01-2007, 04:28 PM
^^

That could be it too, I've read.

pbaddict
03-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I have never had problems with gum. Most likely due to excess swallowing of air or something.

I've noticed I have that problem with anything that has sugar alcohols, including those sugar-free candies. They are evil :swear: . But ya, swallowing air can also be a contributor.