PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Shaker - Danger!

Shark
02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't put hot (really hot) water in your turbo shaker and put the lid on to shake it and clean it out. The lid will pop off and hot water will spray everywhere! Be carefull!

DarrenEff
02-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Well it is just common sense to hold your hand over the lid as you shake, regardless of whats inside...

Joe Black
02-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Well, he didn't actually state whether he held his hand over it or not ;)

That being said, I have sometimes had that happen with lots of different shakers.

Actually, whether its hot or cold, pressure can build up as you shake and its sensible to shake for 8-10 secs, release top and let some pressure out and then do it again. Whether cleaning or shaking a drink :)

Maki Riddington
02-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Yup. It's happened to me several times. To normal people it'd only happen once.

Shark
02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Well it is just common sense to hold your hand over the lid as you shake, regardless of whats inside...

Of coruse my hand was on the lid and it was sealed correctly. I have never had this happen before as I have always used screw top shakers. Perhaps its just my bad but I figured I would toss out a warning. I am really happy with the product but this took me by surprise.

Rock Steady
02-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Yup. It's happened to me several times. To normal people it'd only happen once.

As our great president would say: "Fool me once, shame on you (turbo shaker.) Fool me twice... errrr....."

chris mason
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
It has a ridiculously good seal and mixes the contents so violently that can be a result.

Chris

DarrenEff
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
As our great president would say: "Fool me once, shame on you (turbo shaker.) Fool me twice... errrr....."

Fool me once, shame on ...shame on you. If fool me, can't get fooled again

motoko013
02-23-2007, 10:16 PM
so you guys just shake hot water to wash the shakers? that seems a lot faster than actually washing it with soap and a sponge

Talking_God
02-23-2007, 10:42 PM
most definitely a better idea...i wish i was smarter lol

stevec087
02-24-2007, 06:57 AM
The hot water morphs the plastic in some way comopromising the seal. After the plastic cools down the seal goes back to normal and holds tight!

Relentless
03-02-2007, 06:57 AM
The hot water morphs the plastic in some way comopromising the seal. After the plastic cools down the seal goes back to normal and holds tight!

No, that is not correct.

It has to do with the heated air inside the shaker, and the pressure changes caused by the agitation. Boyle's Law, baby.

and yes, this just happened to me. :(

I should have known better...

Beast
03-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Heat + shaking = pressure

Happens with all shaker bottles.

Teufelhund
03-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Yup. Once all the hot water heats the air, the air expands and you, sir, have created your very own IED. Congratulations!

Do not snap the lid on tight until you have gently shaken it for a couple seconds to warm the air (and let it expand) while it has an escape route. Then you can lock the lid down and shake the hell out of it.

I can't tell you how many times I've coated the break room in a scalding hot spray of protein water before I figured that out. One time I even got one of my coworkers...

Beast
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I can't tell you how many times I've coated the break room in a scalding hot spray of protein water before I figured that out. One time I even got one of my coworkers...
Oh man... protein water smells like absolute ass, too.

DaveG
03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Haven't had this happen before, but I have taken a sip and then gone to shake it up a little more.... forgetting to seal the drink spout. :bang: :bang:

Alex.V
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
And I wonder why they call us a bunch of meatheads.

:)