PDA

View Full Version : Bulking in Pounds?

skakid613
02-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I have an accurate scale at my house so i was wondering if instead of counting calories and all that stuff if i could just go by weight like say one or two pounds for each meal and eat 5 meals a day? If this would work, how many pounds should i eat at each meal?

whiteman90909
02-21-2007, 04:20 PM
A pound of fat has over 2x the calories of a pound of protein or carbs. Your calire intake could be fluxuating by thousands of calories every day, and things like water, with zero calories, will add weight to food. Stick to counting calories.

seK
02-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I have an accurate scale at my house so i was wondering if instead of counting calories and all that stuff if i could just go by weight like say one or two pounds for each meal and eat 5 meals a day? If this would work, how many pounds should i eat at each meal?

You have no way of knowing what nutrients you are getting or not getting. I hope for your sake you knew this already though.

Rock Steady
02-21-2007, 04:25 PM
You eat 5 pounds of pickles a day and I'll eat 5 pounds of lasagna. We'll see how it goes.

skakid613
02-21-2007, 04:38 PM
i see ur point....i guess i was just lookin for the easy way out...not counting all the stuff and figuring out what i need to eat for each meal

skakid613
02-21-2007, 04:39 PM
but while we are on the bulking topic i was wondering was a good heavy breakfast would be cuz lately ive been eating like 1 or 2 eggs but i dont think taht is enough

seK
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
but while we are on the bulking topic i was wondering was a good heavy breakfast would be cuz lately ive been eating like 1 or 2 eggs but i dont think taht is enough

It depends on what number of cal's you are shooting for and the type of diet you are on. That sounds very low though for any type of bulking diet.

P.S. How much do 2 egg weigh?

skakid613
02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
yea i just got done wrestling so im jumping from cutting to bulking and i havent sat down and figured out my calories and protein and carbs yet but i was wondering if there are any sample bulking diets like meal plans of what you should eat and at what time during the day

whiteman90909
02-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Good heavy breakfast for me (I weigh only 165...)

4 egg omlet with cheese and meat, a hyooge protein shake, a couple slices of whole wheat toast, and some bacon or cereal or something...

shoot4dabigtime
02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
for breakfast i like to have two packets of oatmeal, and weightgainer protein shake.

Slim Schaedle
02-21-2007, 07:19 PM
I find the more obssessed you get about calories and stuff like that you get for bulking the more your setting yourself up for failure.

Since you indicate this is your opinion, I respect that.

But, how so?

krboyd7
02-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Count the calories.

Slim Schaedle
02-22-2007, 08:51 AM
just that with a busy lifstyle and the more rigid you set your bulking diet up to be the more chance there is to miss a meal or not get your set calories in and when you miss a meal or calories you can have a negative mental effect that can start to steam roll, I find that unless your competing I would make it as simple as possible and go by what you see in the mirror then get all worked up over calories per day and stuff like that, but hey thats just me!!

Point taken.

However, I fail to agree that making absolutely sure one is eating enouh to increase weight is setting one's self up for failure.

Missing meals is not a huge deal as long as one tracks their stuff and knows they need to eat more later in the day, not to mention planning meals eliminates this "problem" for the most part.

I used to follow the method you suggest to some degree and loosely count macros. Since tightening up in order to provide a more "controlled enviroment" results are better, the guesswork is less, more peace of mind, and it is actually easier.

To each their own.

Davidelmo
02-22-2007, 12:20 PM
It just depends on how committed you are and how easily you gain.

I plan my food in advance for most days so I know what I will have and when I will have it. Other people get by just fine trying to include more protein and eat more in general.

To the OP, the simplest way to track is to get a cheap set of kitchen scales and weigh stuff. Use www.fitday.com to enter custom foods of the things you eat and then enter the weight that you ate. It's pretty simple and even if you don't eat the same things every day it doesn't take longer than 5 mins to program.

Scorpion32
02-22-2007, 01:36 PM
I counted calories for one week. I wrote down everything I had to eat and made a list of how many calories each meal has. I then look at my list and make sure I am eating enough of the food each day in order to continue my bulk. I roughly know how many calories I am eating each day plus I do not have to count each day. The only problem with this is that the food I am eating is the same meals week in and week out.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 05:28 PM
^^

You need variety in your diet...fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc...