PDA

View Full Version : Help me make sense of it all....

Slice319
02-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Hey all,

I am new here, and have some nutrition, supplement and workout questions...

First about me:

I am 34 years old, 5' 8", 209 lbs.

My body composition as of 1/20/07 as performed by a trainer at LifeTime Fitness.

LBM = 157.6 lbs.
Fat Mass = 51.4 lbs.
BMR = 2241

24.6% body fat

I have not taken a supplement nor done any type of regimined workout in 5 years.

6 years ago my wife and I took on the Body for Life challenge by EAS and Bill Phillips and I went from 190lbs and 22% body fat to 175 and 11% in 12 weeks. So i underwent a pretty amazing transformation, then my kids were born and ..... we stopped working out and.... excuses are like butt holes everyone has them and they all stink!

I want to transform my body once again, I am dedicated to this and will post pics as we go weekly, I hold all my fat from chin to waist (37" waist)

1 week ago I started with my diet and a few supplements. (please comment on where I should be making changes)

My typical daily diet consists of:

meal 1 - 300 calories, 5g fat, 32g carbs, 29g protein (RELEASE morning supplement 2 caps, + multi vitamin, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

meal 2 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein (meals 2,4, and 6 are maximum protein shakes by "ENERGIE Nutrition")

meal 3 - 220 calories, 1.5g fat, 29g carbs, 22g protein (RELEASE afternoon supplement, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

meal 4 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein

meal 5 - 400 calories, 5g fat, 30g carbs, 32g protein

meal 6 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein (RELEASE evening supplement, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

My weekly workout routine is:

Monday - Lower Body and Abs - 1 hour workout 2 different exercises on each muscle group to burnout.

Tuesday - Cardio - 10 minute warmup, 30 minutes low intensity, 10 minutes of high intensity wind sprint type exercise, and 5 minute cool down.

Wednesday - Upper Body no abs - 1 hour workout 2 different exercises on each muscle group to burnout.

Thursday - Same as tuesday

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday - Same as Tuesday and Thursday

Sunday - Rest!!!!

Next week I reverse the upper and lower body days. Cardio days stay the same. I keep a detailed diary of all workouts.

OK so alot has changed in the supplement world. I just went with what I knew from 5 years ago. This time ignoring the brand (EAS is just too expensive)

1. What thermogenic should I use if any? Should I change from the product I am using now? Why? Current one recommended by the same Life Time fitness trainer mentioned above. Not purchased from them nor carried by their "store / cafe" so I assumed he recommended it because it works.

2. Should I add any supplements? Why and what for?

3. Should I change any more of my eating? (realize this is a huge change from McDonalds breakfast, Hotdog or buritto Lunch and Pizza dinner plus 6 cans of pepsi a day) 1600 calories/day now, vs. 4000 fat laden calories/day for the past 5 years.

4. Should I change my workouts? What? and Why?

5. What should I be taking to aid recovery? I am pretty sore all the time now.

So help me get to where I should be, Please?

Pics to come shortly! Although they are not very flattering!!

Built
02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Hey all,

I am new here, and have some nutrition, supplement and workout questions...

First about me:

I am 34 years old, 5' 8", 209 lbs.

My body composition as of 1/20/07 as performed by a trainer at LifeTime Fitness.

LBM = 157.6 lbs.
Fat Mass = 51.4 lbs.
BMR = 2241

24.6% body fat

Great to have this information for your starting point!

I have not taken a supplement nor done any type of regimined workout in 5 years.

6 years ago my wife and I took on the Body for Life challenge by EAS and Bill Phillips and I went from 190lbs and 22% body fat to 175 and 11% in 12 weeks.

That's good though, you've done it before so you know what's possible!

So i underwent a pretty amazing transformation, then my kids were born and ..... we stopped working out and.... excuses are like butt holes everyone has them and they all stink!

I want to transform my body once again, I am dedicated to this and will post pics as we go weekly, I hold all my fat from chin to waist (37" waist)

1 week ago I started with my diet and a few supplements. (please comment on where I should be making changes)

My typical daily diet consists of:

meal 1 - 300 calories, 5g fat, 32g carbs, 29g protein (RELEASE morning supplement 2 caps, + multi vitamin, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

Ditch the 3-6-9 and just get yourself some 3 (fish oil). 6 and 9 should already be abundant in your diet.

meal 2 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein (meals 2,4, and 6 are maximum protein shakes by "ENERGIE Nutrition")

Why all the shakes on a cut?

meal 3 - 220 calories, 1.5g fat, 29g carbs, 22g protein (RELEASE afternoon supplement, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

meal 4 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein

meal 5 - 400 calories, 5g fat, 30g carbs, 32g protein

meal 6 - 240 calories, 2g fat, 3g carbs, 22g protein (RELEASE evening supplement, + Omega 3-6-9, CLA, GLA, ALA, EPA, DHA multi supplement by PPN called Essential AlphaLean 2 caps = 2000mg)

I'm lazy and I suck at math. Just tell me your totals for the day:

Calories
Protein grams
Fat grams
Carb grams
Fibre grams

My weekly workout routine is:

Monday - Lower Body and Abs - 1 hour workout 2 different exercises on each muscle group to burnout.

What rep range, what exercises, how much weight do you squat, and why do you lift to burnout?

Tuesday - Cardio - 10 minute warmup, 30 minutes low intensity, 10 minutes of high intensity wind sprint type exercise, and 5 minute cool down.

Perhaps do the intense sprinting earlier in the workout, then follow it with 30 minutes of SS at the end.

Wednesday - Upper Body no abs - 1 hour workout 2 different exercises on each muscle group to burnout.

Thursday - Same as tuesday

Friday - Same as Monday

Saturday - Same as Tuesday and Thursday

Sunday - Rest!!!!

Next week I reverse the upper and lower body days. Cardio days stay the same. I keep a detailed diary of all workouts.

OK so alot has changed in the supplement world. I just went with what I knew from 5 years ago. This time ignoring the brand (EAS is just too expensive)

1. What thermogenic should I use if any? Should I change from the product I am using now? Why? Current one recommended by the same Life Time fitness trainer mentioned above. Not purchased from them nor carried by their "store / cafe" so I assumed he recommended it because it works.

Nothing yet. I don't know how fast your losing or what your maintenance calories are, and you're just beginning your cut. Let it work for you first.

2. Should I add any supplements? Why and what for?

Let's just get your diet and training sorted out first, k?

3. Should I change any more of my eating? (realize this is a huge change from McDonalds breakfast, Hotdog or buritto Lunch and Pizza dinner plus 6 cans of pepsi a day) 1600 calories/day now, vs. 4000 fat laden calories/day for the past 5 years.

1600 is lower than I diet on, and I'm a middle-aged chick who weighs 135 lbs soaking wet. This sounds really low, especially given your activity level.

4. Should I change my workouts? What? and Why?

Probably. We need to see more detail. And I don't think to many here are fans of burnout sets.

5. What should I be taking to aid recovery? I am pretty sore all the time now.

So help me get to where I should be, Please?

Pics to come shortly! Although they are not very flattering!!

Recovery - this may just be the newbie blues. You could try ETS, but again, let's get your strategy working for you first before looking into supplements, okay?

Welcome to the board.

Slice319
02-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Ditch the 3-6-9 and just get yourself some 3 (fish oil). 6 and 9 should already be abundant in your diet.

What about CLA? Should I take it? I have read mixed reviews about fat cutting with CLA.

Why all the shakes on a cut?

I too am somewhat lazy and find them easier than packing an igloo cooler every day.

I'm lazy and I suck at math. Just tell me your totals for the day:

Calories - 1600
Protein grams - 150
Fat grams - 17
Carb grams - 100
Fibre grams - 20

What rep range, what exercises, how much weight do you squat, and why do you lift to burnout?

I start with a low weight at say an intensity level of 50% effort for 12 reps, I increase the weight to a 60% effort 10 reps, then 70% 8 reps, 80% 8 reps, 90% 6 reps if I can and then down to a 40% for as long as possible!

Why you ask.... umm yeah thats the only way I know... High school wrestling coach method.

Lower body exercises -

Quads:
Leg Press (horizontal machine) start at 250lbs and last 6 reps are max on the machine at 400lbs

and / or

Leg extensions (seated machine) start at 60lbs and increase 10 - 15 pounds each set ending at 125 for 6 reps

and / or

Squats (dumbbell squats) I start with 80's in each hand and work up in 5 lb increments to 100 lbs in each hand. (havent done any barbell squats, no spot man at 3:30 am in the gym)

Hams:
Lunges - I start with 12 reps each leg with no weight then I grab dumbells starting at 50 lbs in each hand increasing 5 lbs each set same stair step as above. then none till dead.

and / or

Lying Leg curls - 50 lbs 12 reps, 60 lbs 10reps, 70 lbs 8 reps, 80 lbs 6 reps, 50lbs till dead.

Calves:
Seated calf extensions - same stair steps start at 120lbs then 10 lb increases till 6 reps and then 100 lbs till dead

Standing calf raises - start at 120 and work up and back to 100 till dead

Upper body:

Dumbell Curls - 12 reps with 40's, 10 with 45's, 8 with 50's and 6 with 55's, then as many as possible with 25's

Seated curls...

Dumbell bench press with same weights as curls, (no spotter)

Dumbell flys (chest)

Dumbell extensions for tris

Close grip push downs

Dips

dumbell press for shoulders

side raises / bent over raises

dumbbell rows for back

Wide grip pull downs (in front of chin)

hanging knee raises arms in straps

Perhaps do the intense sprinting earlier in the workout, then follow it with 30 minutes of SS at the end.

Why? I do the sprints only to try and push my Anaerobic threshold up ( I do it at the end because it makes me feel like the workout was more intense and more gratifying). the 30 mins is to burn the max fat cals.

Nothing yet. I don't know how fast your losing or what your maintenance calories are, and you're just beginning your cut. Let it work for you first.

Well I have lost 2.5 lbs in the last 7 days. Well my Basal Metabolic Rate is 2241, thus to maintain the 157lbs of lean body mass that I have, I guess I would need at least that much. right? Not sure though.... This is where I get confused :( I am not sure how much I should be eating nor what is healthy.

Let's just get your diet and training sorted out first, k?

Thats why I am here...

1600 is lower than I diet on, and I'm a middle-aged chick who weighs 135 lbs soaking wet. This sounds really low, especially given your activity level.

Probably. We need to see more detail. And I don't think to many here are fans of burnout sets.

Recovery - this may just be the newbie blues. You could try ETS, but again, let's get your strategy working for you first before looking into supplements, okay?

Welcome to the board.

Thanks, I appreciate and look forward to your advice. I have been lurking here for a few days and you seem to be one of the more well informed individuals on here. Oh by the way, great pics you are ripped. (I remember when my wife almost looked like that (hahaha) I was amazed and embarassed when I realized you were not a guy.... :)

Built
02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
What about CLA? Should I take it? I have read mixed reviews about fat cutting with CLA.

Based on what I've read and what I've experienced with it, it seems to be overrated.

And expensive.

I too am somewhat lazy and find them easier than packing an igloo cooler every day.

Okay, but they're not very satisfying. On a cut, personally I prefer to chew my food. But that's just me. :)

Calories - 1600
Protein grams - 150
Fat grams - 17
Carb grams - 100
Fibre grams - 20

If your BMR estimate is anywhere near correct, these calories are far too low.
Your protein is minimally sufficient. Your fats could easily quadruple. Try to get fibre up to at least 25g on average. Read the diet link in my sig for help there.

I start with a low weight at say an intensity level of 50% effort for 12 reps, I increase the weight to a 60% effort 10 reps, then 70% 8 reps, 80% 8 reps, 90% 6 reps if I can and then down to a 40% for as long as possible!

Why you ask.... umm yeah thats the only way I know... High school wrestling coach method.

Learn to use another method. This one ain't grand for cutting.

Lower body exercises -

Quads:
Leg Press (horizontal machine) start at 250lbs and last 6 reps are max on the machine at 400lbs

and / or

Leg extensions (seated machine) start at 60lbs and increase 10 - 15 pounds each set ending at 125 for 6 reps

and / or

Squats (dumbbell squats) I start with 80's in each hand and work up in 5 lb increments to 100 lbs in each hand. (havent done any barbell squats, no spot man at 3:30 am in the gym)

I don't have a spotter at the gym when I do squats. No need to squat to failure - 3-5 short, heavy , 5-rep sets ought to do it for you. Do them at the beginning of your leg workout. And your volume looks to be too high.

Hams:
Lunges - I start with 12 reps each leg with no weight then I grab dumbells starting at 50 lbs in each hand increasing 5 lbs each set same stair step as above. then none till dead.

and / or

Lying Leg curls - 50 lbs 12 reps, 60 lbs 10reps, 70 lbs 8 reps, 80 lbs 6 reps, 50lbs till dead.

Try RDLs, GHRs or GMs for hams. Leg curls don't do as much as you'd like them to.

Please let go of pump and burn training.

Calves:
Seated calf extensions - same stair steps start at 120lbs then 10 lb increases till 6 reps and then 100 lbs till dead

Standing calf raises - start at 120 and work up and back to 100 till dead

Upper body:

Dumbell Curls - 12 reps with 40's, 10 with 45's, 8 with 50's and 6 with 55's, then as many as possible with 25's

Seated curls...

Dumbell bench press with same weights as curls, (no spotter)

Dumbell flys (chest)

Dumbell extensions for tris

Close grip push downs

Dips

dumbell press for shoulders

side raises / bent over raises

dumbbell rows for back

Wide grip pull downs (in front of chin)

You might consider narrowing up your grip - better lat activation for most folks that way, and a little easier on your rotator cuff.

hanging knee raises arms in straps

Why? I do the sprints only to try and push my Anaerobic threshold up ( I do it at the end because it makes me feel like the workout was more intense and more gratifying). the 30 mins is to burn the max fat cals.

Higher intensity work stimulates catecholamine production, which in turn stimulates lipolysis. Do the steady-state work at the end to burn off the free fatty acids mobilzed by the sprints and you'll likely burn more fat.

Well I have lost 2.5 lbs in the last 7 days. Well my Basal Metabolic Rate is 2241, thus to maintain the 157lbs of lean body mass that I have, I guess I would need at least that much. right?

My understanding of BMR estimates is that it's the estimated caloric need for your body if you were to do nothing but sit up in bed and breathe.

Not sure though.... This is where I get confused :( I am not sure how much I should be eating nor what is healthy.

Read what a bodybuilder eats, and the guidelines in the diet link in my sig may be of some use to you.

I was amazed and embarassed when I realized you were not a guy.... :)

Don't be embarrassed that I'm not a guy - I'm not. :)