02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
removed.

will update later.

DeHartD
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
good luck, stay dedicated

ILLMATIC
02-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks, six weeks will seem like about a decade. I am hoping after 6 weeks I will
have enough motivation and time invested to only progress further.

WBBIRL
02-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Not that fat at all, if you could muster a solid effort for 12-16 weeks you could probably get rid of the last little bits you have left on you.

I've been cutting for over 4 months now and will probably need to cut another 4-6 before I'm even in a ballpark of where I want to be. Just stay tough, it screws with your head big time.

ILLMATIC
02-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I am going to start doing cardio every other day to really melt away the lbs :p, hopefully I dont melt away my muscle at the same time.
Thanks for the advice, and best of luck to you too.

IZich
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
hey illmatic:

built has a really good thread on cardio in the articles section that I would advise you to read (in case you haven't yet).
There are a lot of different types of cardio, and you could probably be even more efficient with a little planning and a little less hour-age on the treadmill.
:]
Best of luck!

ILLMATIC
02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks, Ill give that thread a read. Right now I just aimlessly float from cardio machine to cardio machine wasting 20 minutes on each. I appreciate your help!

WBBIRL
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm about your height but right now I'm 65 pounds heavier. You don't look bad enough to where I think you need a cut. I suggest just the opposite and have you bulk. Adding the lean muscle will improve your appearance more then losing that last 10-15 vanity pounds would and it will probably be easier since you can eat more.

Ditch the cardio, a caloric deficit is MUCH easier to attain through a planned out diet then through hopping along on the treadmill all day long. If you MUST do cardio, keep it in moderation. The better thing to do would be to start lifting, making sure that your at least doing bench, squats and deads and then work in accessories. Keep yourself well hydrated, at least 64oz of water per day minimum but I always drink about 128 on average. Hydration levels and sleep can vastly affect your performance and if you can't train hard in the gym then you won't be packing on the muscle.

Keep the protein high and don't eat large amounts of fats and carbs together.

Track on fitday, don't guestimate anything. I was easily 1000 or more calories off and my macros were way off then what I thought.

Get your omega 3's in (EPA, DHA) usually the best way is in the form of 4-6 fish oil pills per day. These are the types of fats that you WANT to have.

Be glad your where your at, I'm not saying you wont have to work hard but your jouney is going to be relatively short.

ILLMATIC
02-23-2007, 01:18 PM
I appreciate your advise, but contrary to the forums name - I dont want to be big... or huge atleast. Id like to get smaller, I mean stay toned and muscular, but I dont want to be as big as I am now. Thin and muscular is my goal.

KingJustin
02-23-2007, 01:30 PM
I think Irl has some good advice to consider, but I disagree with him. Don't take that to mean either one of us are right or wrong, but my advice is that you do stick with the cut. I think you'll be happier with that.

That said, I don't think going from one cardio machine to the next for 20 minutes is very ideal. Basically, that is going to really (a) inhibit the amount of muscle gains you can get, (b) not burn fat off very fast, (c) not get you into good cardio shape very quickly.

Not to say that you won't see noticeable results--because you will--but it won't be nearly as effective as other methods.

Built's article does give some good advice. When you do cardio, go ahead and do sprints. Start off with 4-6 sprints of 100-200m, walking the same distance in between. After you're done, walk or jog for another 10 minutes. Try to increase something each week: i.e. add one more sprint, decrease the distance walked, increase the distance sprinted, increase your speed on the sprints, increase your speed on the walks.

This is called HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's really effective because it builds anaerobic conditioning, and increases your metabolism. It also compliments, rather than interferes, with muscle gains.

Along with that, weight training is going to be really beneficial to you. You'll see muscle gains pretty quickly, and with muscle gains it becomes easier to lose weight, because muscles burn a whole lot more calories than fat.

That said, do not overdue it. You probably should be doing something like lifting 2x per week and running 2x. You could add an additional "circuit" day, where you do cardio on the weights: i.e. 12 easy reps of pulldowns, 12 overhead presses, 12 bodyweight squats, 12 push-ups, 12 sit-ups (no rest in between exercises), and repeat. Anything more than that and you risk getting sick, excessively fatigued, etc. Try to lose 2 lbs per week, and just eat healthy. Focus on getting a lot of your calories, especially protein, in the 3 hours after you lift weight. Other than that, try to cut calories during the rest of the day.

Hope that helps. Good work so far and good luck.

Edit: In regards to what Irl is saying below, you should probably concentrate in lifting in the 8-12 rep range, and do maybe 2-4 sets. Focus on the big movements: bench press, rows, overhead press, squats, deadlifts, and chin-ups. Don't do any "accessory" lifts like curls, or tricep isolation work and so forth.

WBBIRL
02-23-2007, 03:18 PM
I appreciate your advise, but contrary to the forums name - I don't want to be big... or huge at least. Id like to get smaller, I mean stay toned and muscular, but I don't want to be as big as I am now. Thin and muscular is my goal.

Not to be an *******, but even if you WANT to be big chances are you won't ever get much bigger then most people. Unless you have good genes, the right information and years worth of dedicated training.

There is no such thing as toning. "Toning" is what happens when you lower body fat without increasing lean muscle mass much at all. You cannot spot reduce, meaning if your ass or stomach is fat then you'll have to globally lower body fat percentage.

Consider this though. Say right now you stand 5'10 205 pounds at about 17% bodyfat. If you add 20 pounds of muscle to your frame over the next 4 months then you'd weigh 225 but you'd lower your bodyfat by atleast 1% and increase your muscular size quite a bit.

If you want to lean out thats fine, but leaning out is about diet. Lifting light weights high reps doesn't TONE anything. Hypertrophy (the stimulation of a muscle that promotes growth) occurs in the 6-12 rep range. Muscles also respond well to intensity (lifting heavy heavy weights for 1-3 reps). Getting lean (or lowering your overall bodyfat percent) doesn't require a treadmill or any other form of cardio and it doesn't require you to lift differently.

No such thing as toning though, its a myth just like godzilla and social security.

ILLMATIC
02-23-2007, 05:11 PM
I appreciate the responses from everyone. What I meant when I said "Id like to get smaller, I mean stay toned and muscular" was that I want the toned look, this might not even be an actual 'look' ahah but I have it in my mind atleast. Like, not a giant guy with huge arms, huge legs, real wide, etc.

@Kingjustin about over doing it. Currently I am going to the gym 6 days a week, taking sundays off. I have been doing this for a few months. I don't feel any fatigue or tiredness, so I am thinking there is no point in cutting that down now. I mean if my muscles are sore I wont go work out - because that wont help them much.

Anyway, I have only been on the cut for what 3 days - and I am already seeing some new veins that I didnt know existed :D I can drop weight moderately fast, so I have to keep an eye on it - on the other end of the spectrum I can also gain it back almost equally as fast.

JHolmes145
02-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Not to be an *******, but even if you WANT to be big chances are you won't ever get much bigger then most people. Unless you have good genes, the right information and years worth of dedicated training.

There is no such thing as toning. "Toning" is what happens when you lower body fat without increasing lean muscle mass much at all. You cannot spot reduce, meaning if your ass or stomach is fat then you'll have to globally lower body fat percentage.

Consider this though. Say right now you stand 5'10 205 pounds at about 17% bodyfat. If you add 20 pounds of muscle to your frame over the next 4 months then you'd weigh 225 but you'd lower your bodyfat by atleast 1% and increase your muscular size quite a bit.

If you want to lean out thats fine, but leaning out is about diet. Lifting light weights high reps doesn't TONE anything. Hypertrophy (the stimulation of a muscle that promotes growth) occurs in the 6-12 rep range. Muscles also respond well to intensity (lifting heavy heavy weights for 1-3 reps). Getting lean (or lowering your overall bodyfat percent) doesn't require a treadmill or any other form of cardio and it doesn't require you to lift differently.

No such thing as toning though, its a myth just like godzilla and social security.

you cant gain 20 lbs of muscle in 4 months

ILLMATIC
02-24-2007, 06:59 AM
you cant gain 20 lbs of muscle in 4 months

Good point, especially not me. I could probably gain 40 lbs lol, but certainly not of muscle. I refuse to take creatine or any of that as well.

ILLMATIC
02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
removed.

will update before/afters when over.

ILLMATIC
10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
alrighty, heres the progress.

start date was 2-26-07. pics were taken today 8-2-07

starting weight: 205ish
current weight: 168
goal: 155
notable change: went form 34 loose fit waist to a 30 slim fit waist jeans

please excuse the blurriness, its hard to try to flex and take pix. apparently i was better at it in my before pics.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1197/1472394205_3f9d887234_o.png

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1260/1472393951_696ff85d3a_o.png

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1198/1473244940_bd0a571d0a_o.png

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1218/1473245780_d8db8467e3_o.png

Herandi
10-02-2007, 01:34 PM
real nice progress on losing the gut, time for a slow bulk soon perhaps?

WBBIRL
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
You've made excellent progress.

You know whats silly.... everyone I know for example that's 230-270 wears a 38-40's and I wear 44's.... WTF

I noticed that all the non "wal-mart" looking jeans stop at 38's and it pisses me off. I'm beginning to think I won't have a 38" waist even at 10% bodyfat.

ILLMATIC
10-02-2007, 01:38 PM
lost the (some of) the gut, and the quad chin ahaha. thanks for the comment.

My plan is to get down to 155 and then try to hold between 155 and 160 for a while. if i can do that, i will think about bulking, but im loving being thin(ner).

c&c welcome of course!

Cards
10-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Nice progress man. the guts down, definition in the arms. Everythings coming together. I wouldn't even bother bulking but, weightlifting now would be my recommendation. Then again I don't know your routine or what you're doing to lose weight but keep it up man, doing a great job!

Lumiel
10-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Nice progress!!! Dude, you can see ribs! That's amazing.

ILLMATIC
10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
thanks for all the great compliments.

i ran 4.2 miles today!

HeavyBomber
10-06-2007, 10:42 PM
damn. nice job!

berfles
10-13-2007, 11:45 PM
Hell of a difference, looking much better now.

Big-E
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Night and Day difference - you dont even look like the same person!

darkstar187
10-18-2007, 09:44 PM
Wow you lost a lot man! im looking to do someone similar im about 200LBS and 6'1'' want to drop the weight how did you do it?

jft9120
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
i would also like to know your eating plan looks great man