PDA

View Full Version : Is eating a whole chicken bad?

Argue
02-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I just did one of my dumbarse fat bastard newbie workouts while I was watching this HYOOGE muscle bound dude lift FULL ON heavy weights like they were match sticks. It was depressing as hell. Then I got that thing you get when you're feeling down and want to escape reality a little - I think it's called a binge craving. I went straight from my workout which may be light but it hammers me to the ground, to the chicken shop down the road. I got the biggest one there and scoffed it like it was going out of fashion. The guy in the shop probably thought I was insane. I would say he probably won't forget my face now. I feel like I ate way too much chicken and totally disrespected the animal, but then again it's got lots of protein, right? Am I bad?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Mmmkay, first of all, get over the self-hate and start moving forward. Secondly, stop looking at others and then gauging yourself by their progress. You should only be focusing on making goals for yourself and seeing progress for yourself because the lifting lifestyle is a very personal thing. Never compare yourself to others in this game of iron weights. It's good to have role models, but never let anyone else bring you down. Lastly, what does your current diet look like? Your training routine? What are you goals? What's your age and your current stats? What do you need help with?

Welcome to the site.

Sensei
02-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Did you defeather it first?

Argue
02-22-2007, 09:53 PM
YES hahaha! It was cooked.

Alrighty, I've just read the WBB1 routine and I'm going to do that. I eat way too much, especially meat. I have to start eating vegetables. I'm nearly 30, but I look like I'm older than I am. What are my goals? I don't know, to be better looking than I am at the moment I guess! What do I need help with? Pick up lines. Thanks for your warm welcome!

Argue
02-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Did you defeather it first?

So funny!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 10:00 PM
If you are trying to lose weight, I'd recommend that you start tracking everything you eat. Sign up for a free account on www.fitday.com. Track your average calories for a week, then come back to this thread and post a link to your diet journal so we can then evaluate your diet.

Ask as many questions that are on your mind. If you are ever unsure of something, ask for advice. The more information you give us, the more we can help you. It is also important that you learn the proper form for the compound lifts given in WBB1 (squats, deadlifts, and bench press).

I'd recommend the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe (http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805405/sr=8-1/qid=1172206804/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8399664-9410444?ie=UTF8&s=books) for a LOT of information on proper form and how to correct bad form. Also, never use so much weight that you begin to lose control of the weight and your form suffers. As the saying goes, leave your ego at the door. You are only at the gym for yourself and nobody else. Remember that.

Good luck!

Also, some links to check out ~>
Best of Diet and Nutrition Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848)
Best of Bodybuilding and Fitness Threads (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=34313)
What A Bodybuilder Eats (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=46565)
The World's Healthiest Foods (http://www.whfoods.com/)
Diet Help (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=74607)
Mmm Fat! (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284)
Cardio Help (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=292)

Basically...mosey on down to my signature and read as much as you can in the links provided. The Get Built articles are very informative.

Argue
02-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Cool. I read that it's impossible to build muscle without body mass. I could lose weight, but then I would just be a beanstalk and still not look any good or be any stronger. I want to turn this mass of mine into muscle. I have just made a vow to go three times a week, and get a trainer to help me get started right. As for my diet, well, I can't change that overnight. It's an addiction. Does anyone else here eat a whole chicken?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 10:09 PM
It's impossible to turn fat into muscle as well. What's your height and weight? Do you know your body fat percentage?

As for my diet, well, I can't change that overnight. It's an addiction.Then make small changes. It's easier to start making good habits than to break bad ones. Set small goals and achieve them. Then set more goals. If you want to start getting into shape, you're going to have to pick some willpower off the willpower tree. Diet is the most important part of all of this.

chemical Andy
02-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah, fat turning into muscle is one of the biggest bodybuilding myths out there...

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 10:31 PM
And "If I stop working out, my muscle will turn into fat"...

That's even worse.

Argue
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I thought the weights were the most important part. Okay I admit I don't know much yet. I'll do that fitday thing and get back to you.

I'm 6"3' and I weigh a f***load. I have a lot of fat around my mid section but I'm going to start walking for at least an hour a day and hopfully that will reduce a bit. Thanks for your advice!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Diet first, everything second. And walking for an hour won't do much in the calorie burning department. Read the link on cardio that I posted above. Just read ALL of the links above and absorb as much as you can and ask questions concerning things you are confused about.

Knowledge is a never-ending journey.

Guido
02-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Eating a whole chicken is bad only if it was alive while you were eating it. Then again, it would be fresher.

chemical Andy
02-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I thought the weights were the most important part. Okay I admit I don't know much yet. I'll do that fitday thing and get back to you.

I'm 6"3' and I weigh a f***load. I have a lot of fat around my mid section but I'm going to start walking for at least an hour a day and hopfully that will reduce a bit. Thanks for your advice!

Yeah, it's about eating a lot WHILE you're working out. But everything you ate up to now, will not help you.

Argue
02-22-2007, 11:03 PM
When muscles grow bigger underneath all the fat then they burn it faster, even when you're sleeping right? Or is that a myth like the others? Sorry, but here I am at the beginning.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
The more lean body mass you have, the easier it is to burn fat once you decide to lose weight, if that's what you meant.

Most muscle tissue repair occurs during sleep.

As for burning fat while you sleep, no. That will only happen if you're in a caloric deficit (cutting). If you're bulking up and eating in excess of your maintenance calories (maintenance being the amount of calories you can consume without gaining or losing weight), you're not going to be doing any fat burning.

And when you're gaining muscle, you have to be eating enough to promote growth, so you're not going to be getting huge muscles while shedding fat. And this all is a gradual process. Nothing comes over night. Consistency, dedication, and patience will work wonders for you.

McIrish
02-23-2007, 12:14 AM
Diet first, everything second. And walking for an hour won't do much in the calorie burning department. Read the link on cardio that I posted above. Just read ALL of the links above and absorb as much as you can and ask questions concerning things you are confused about.

Knowledge is a never-ending journey.

Actually, Scarz, I think walking for an hour a day is a GREAT start, especially for someone who isn't used to hard-core workouts (ugh, imagine the crossfit Fran if you hadn't ever worked out before? Heart attack, anyone?). So, to the OP, hell yeah, start walking a bit, and get in the gym consistently for a few weeks. You'll start to see small changes and that'll encourage you to keep it up!!

Good luck, bro, we're all behind you here!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
^^

Well yeah. It's a good start, I agree. Just start moving more and getting your blood flowing and work your way into a routine. :)

Clifford Gillmore
02-23-2007, 02:51 AM
Nothing wrong with eating a whole chicken.

After 3 I feel guilty.

Fuzzy
02-23-2007, 03:52 AM
Advantage of Lebanese parents owning a chain of chicken and ships shops.

A whole lot of chicken.

I will usually have 2 a day... you should see the looks I get when I pull out a whole chicken from my locker.

RedSpikeyThing
02-23-2007, 09:56 AM
And "If I stop working out, my muscle will turn into fat"...

That's even worse.

I once heard three ridiculously skinny asian girls standing behind me doing some pink dumbell BS for easily 30+ reps. The leader of the pack of ignorance was talking about how muscle turns to fat when you get older and that's why most middle-aged men are fat. :cry:

Rock Steady
02-23-2007, 10:54 AM
I eat several chickens a week.

Eggs.

minime_moomey
02-23-2007, 11:27 AM
LOL. You gott sstop beating yourself up over this chicken business...I mean once chicken...IS that it?! I weigh 137, and in a given week eat not only the chicken, but most of the farm! Seriously though, on the upside of 5,000 calories a day. I would highly agree with scarz about signing up on fitday and tracking your diet.

On a side note, it would really depend on how it was prepared now that I think about it...I mean if it was fried, or something, that would be really bad. Otherwise, would be ok

Questor
02-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Pal, you are amoungst friends. Most of use eat whole chickens. The only difference between us and the general population of whole-chicken-eaters, is that we lift big heavy iron weights.

Just enjoy lifting weights and everything else will fall into place.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I once har three reidculously skinny asian girls standing behind me doing some pink dumbell BS for easily 30+ reps. The leader of the pack of ignorance was talking about how muscle turns to fat when you get older and that's why most middle-aged men are fat. :cry:Um...proofread your posts. :p

And yeah...that is silly. They must faint in disbelief when they see a fit middle-aged man.

Australian
02-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I can't find the stats on fitday or anywhere else on the web. How much protein/fat/carb does a chicken have?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-24-2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/
http://www.nutri-facts.com/
http://www.dietfacts.com/

You didn't type in chicken in the FitDay search?

Australian
02-24-2007, 04:59 PM
No, there's sooo much chicken in fitday! Where is the choice for '1 X Chicken' though? Weird. I've got to admit, I don't know much about dead chickens.

D Breyer
02-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Advantage of Lebanese parents owning a chain of chicken and ships shops.

A whole lot of chicken.

I will usually have 2 a day... you should see the looks I get when I pull out a whole chicken from my locker.
I thought I was the only one who ate full chickens for lunch... I always keep one in my locker till lunchtime.

Built
02-24-2007, 07:08 PM
I ate whole chickens all the time when I did Atkins.

I love chicken.

Nosaj
02-24-2007, 10:44 PM
I ate whole chickens all the time when I did Atkins.

I love chicken.

The beaks are so crunchy and delicious. Mmm, protein.

Built
02-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Yuck! Hahahahhahahahaha!

Sensei
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I can't find the stats on fitday or anywhere else on the web. How much protein/fat/carb does a chicken have?
It depends. Are you talking about this chicken:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a0/Foghorn_Leghorn.png/200px-Foghorn_Leghorn.png

or this chicken?
http://www.boingboing.net/_~rod_images_eggjr.jpg

Australian
02-25-2007, 01:42 AM
I was talking about the standard one from a shop, already cooked over the hot coals or whatever they do. The take away sort. I don't really know what I was asking. Is my brain going to wake up today at all? Apparently not. Hey Sensei, how do you put pictures into a post?

JimR
02-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 chicken (yield after cooking, bone removed)
Calories 1417.3
Calories from Fat 725.85

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 80.65g 124%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 22.48g 112%

Polyunsaturated Fat 17.61g

Monounsaturated Fat 31.67g

Cholesterol 521.86mg 174%

Sodium 2416.9mg 101%

Potassium 1322.8mg 38%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 161.89g 324%

Alcohol 0g

That's with the skin. Fat gets cut in half with skin removed.

RedSpikeyThing
02-25-2007, 01:35 PM
nutirition information

****, I'm going to start eating a whole chicken every day lol