PDA

View Full Version : weak point on shirted bench

jtteg_x
02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
i finally got 300lb shirted today :clap: . *bragging over*

when the bar touched my chest, i pressed and i had a "weak point" with a shirt. when i had it up 4", i paused there for a good 2 seconds and was able to complete the lift. my question is, what sort of lifts should i do to train this weakpoint? i have boards that are 4" tall and definately going to use those. but what other exercises can help me for my situation?

Sensei
02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
board presses, heavy tricep work, bands & reverse band work, chains.

waynedang
02-25-2007, 06:32 AM
board presses, heavy tricep work, bands & reverse band work, chains.
yup thats the key to shirted benching. Lots and lots of raw boards will help the most. Do boards through the entire range of motion not just 4" do 1,2,3,4,5, board work and hit some rack lock outs also.

rmccray
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
you should use a high board with a close grip and if you have a power rack around do some lock outs as heavy as possible (tris tris tris)
also you might not have pushed the bar all the way through the lift and that could be the reason the bar stopped for a second
i know about not pushing all the way through the lift as i did it at WPC WORLDS last november with 805 and the bar went sraight up to lockout and stopped
so try those thing and remember to allways push the bar hard no matter how light it feels
SFW!!!!!

RhodeHouse
02-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Speed work may also help the problem.

Guido
02-26-2007, 08:10 AM
For your sticking point, 1 board and 2 board presses would work the best to help work you through it. Also, you can use pin presses (put bench in power rack, then set pins in power rack to an inch or so below your sticking point and work on pressing off the pins), which will greatly enhance your slow speed strength. For board presses, you can do them raw or in the shirt, but do the pin presses raw.

RhodeHouse
02-26-2007, 02:31 PM
JMO - you should stay away from using the shirt for board work. Work the raw strength and it'll carry over to the shirt

waynedang
02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
JMO - you should stay away from using the shirt for board work. Work the raw strength and it'll carry over to the shirt

I agree. I think you need to be very very good in a shirt to do shirted boards. The only reason I do them is to work around an elbow injury. If not for that I would stay away from them.

jtteg_x
02-27-2007, 03:48 PM
thanks for the advice everyone.
if shirted bench was my only lift on saturday for chest, do you think i will be ok doing pin presses and board presses for chest again, tuesday (today) ?

RhodeHouse
02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Don't think of PL training as chest day. It's bench day. Train the movement not the muscle group. Only do the exercises that make your bench go up. That being said, it depends how heavy you go on the board and pin presses. One day should be heavy (1-3 reps) the other day should be lighter. (6-12 reps) IMO, the pin and board work should be done on your heavy day.

Guido
02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I always heard that to get good in the shirt, you need to lift in the shirt. At least that's what John H. always says, and I won't usually argue with a 40 year old guy that benches almost 700! What about Roger Ryan, does he do shirted boardwork?

waynedang
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I always heard that to get good in the shirt, you need to lift in the shirt. At least that's what John H. always says, and I won't usually argue with a 40 year old guy that benches almost 700! What about Roger Ryan, does he do shirted boardwork?

Yes Roger and Lee both do shirted boards. They also do a ton of full range stuff. They have also been in a shirt for a very long time. Before you do any type of shirted board you must understand bar path and how to touch in a tight shirt. Roger will tell you that to many weeks to a board will phuck you up without full range. Shirted boards are just a small piece of the puzzle. They are not for most new shirt lifters.

All of the new guys we train with only work full range shirt and do all boards raw. It would be like hitting geared high box squats and then trying to hit depth on meet day wont work. Form must come before anything. At most meets I go to I see some really strong guys that could do so much more if they would check the ego at the door and learn better form. Just my $.02*

Wayne

*I am not a proffesional nor do I claim to be one. Feel free to ignore me.

Guido
02-28-2007, 03:51 PM
I hear ya Wayne. I do both shirted and raw board work personally. Of course, I have about 2 yeas experience using the same type of shirt, so I'd say I've got it pretty well down. For a newbie, though, yes I agree that one should get acclimated to the groove of a shirt before doing board work, and do raw board work in the meantime.

waynedang
02-28-2007, 04:01 PM
I hear ya Wayne. I do both shirted and raw board work personally. Of course, I have about 2 yeas experience using the same type of shirt, so I'd say I've got it pretty well down. For a newbie, though, yes I agree that one should get acclimated to the groove of a shirt before doing board work, and do raw board work in the meantime.

You should come down and train sometime. I watched most of you guys at Collinsville and Savoy there are a couple of things you could do different that we could help with if you want help.

RhodeHouse
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Waynedanger, you hit the nail on the head. vdizenzo told us the same thing. Boards teach you nothing in the shirt, if you can't touch in a tight shirt.