PDA

View Full Version : why are saturated fats bad?

WilliamX
02-18-2002, 06:18 PM
ok,I try to stay away from trans fats/partially hydrogenated stuff/deep fried shiit, But
why are saturated fats considered bad for health? Why is it better to eat carbs than fat?

aeckhardt
02-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Well this depends on your diet. You body does need a certain amount of fat and some of it should be sat. considering sat. fats effect on testosterone. The reason people eat so many more carbs are that carbs are used for energy. NOw if you weren't eating carbs you would eat a lot more fat because the fat would be used for energy.

WilliamX
02-19-2002, 07:03 PM
carns are used for energy - thats right. Fat can be used for energy too. 1g fat=9Cal. 1g carbs =4Cal. Are you saying carbs are easier for the body to use as an energy source than fat? Or is it that I'll get fat faster eating fat than eating carbs?

CBates
02-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by WilliamX
carns are used for energy - thats right. Fat can be used for energy too. 1g fat=9Cal. 1g carbs =4Cal. Are you saying carbs are easier for the body to use as an energy source than fat? Or is it that I'll get fat faster eating fat than eating carbs?

This thread has a lot of good info about using carbs and using fats as energy.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6851&highlight=calories+from+fat

aeckhardt
02-19-2002, 10:06 PM
When the body uses fat for energy you won't be able to grow except if your eating a ton of calories. This is because there will be minimal insulin response from fat/protein. Plus leptin will downregulate and therefore you will be in a less anabolic state.

You would only use fat for energy over carbs if you were cutting and therefore no you wouldn't get fatter.

degsta
02-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by aeckhardt
You body does need a certain amount of fat and some of it should be sat. considering sat. fats effect on testosterone.

Your body doesn't need sat. fats. What it NEEDS is EFA's i.e. poly, mono. These are necessary for hormone production and balance.

hemants
02-20-2002, 05:50 AM
:withstupi

There is nothing essential about saturated fats other than the fact that some amount of intake is unavoidable because the best protein comes from animal sources which also contain sat fat.

Saturated fat as well as hydrogenated oils (which are called trans fatty acids) raise LDL cholesterol which is highly correlated with cardio vascular disease.

At the same time unsaturated fats raise HDL cholesterol which counteracts the effects of LDL.

Think of it this way, LDL cholesterol deposits crap on your arterial walls and HDL cholesterol removes it.

That is why the ratio of HDL to LDL is more important than just cholesterol.

Now not all saturated fats raise LDL cholesterol. In particular, Stearic acid has not been known to raise LDL cholesterol. However, there is no known food who's saturated fat is primarily stearic acid.

Similarly, trans fatty acids that are derived from Oleic acid do not raise LDL. That is why in some studies, when butter is substituted with even partially hydrogenated margarine, there are beneficial results.

Sat fat intake should be avoided where possible IMHO but it's nothing to be paranoid about, after all, mother's milk contains saturated fat.

Also keep in mind that none of the studies are specific to bodybuilders. But then again, neither are studies on smoking so that doesn' t mean we should all light up without worry.

degsta
02-20-2002, 07:22 PM
what's with the:withstupi ?

CBates
02-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Just for a note, saturated fats does actually raise HDL and lowers triglycerides, so it's not as bad as some people make it out to be as far as with the raising of the LDL.

TreeTrunks
02-20-2002, 08:51 PM
actually your body needs to keep a certain amount of fat on your body to help with hormone regulation. I think 5% bf is the lowest bf% you can have before your hormones become deregualted. We just studied this in my fitness class tues.

TreeTrunks
02-20-2002, 08:52 PM
triglycerides are a form of blood fat. Thats not good.

CBates
02-20-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
triglycerides are a form of blood fat. Thats not good.

Correct, and saturated fat helps lower triglycerides. But the main source of fat to take to lower it is Omega-3.

TreeTrunks
02-20-2002, 08:59 PM
are omega-3's a form of sat. fat? I don't know a whole lot about fats.

hemants
02-21-2002, 05:46 AM
"what's with the :withstupi ?"

Sorry bro, until they come up with an emoticon that says "I agree with this dude" that's the best I could come up with. It means I agree with you; not implying you're stupid - if you're stupid so am I ;)

TreeTrunks - Omega-3 fatty acids are unsaturated fat and are also essential (ie. your body needs them but cannot synthesize them).

FYI further to what Cbates said :

" 1995 American Heart Association, Inc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Volume 15(12) December 1995 pp 2111-2121
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Influence of Diets Rich in Saturated and Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids on the Postprandial Responses of Apolipoproteins B-48, B-100, E, and Lipids in Triglyceride-Rich Lipoproteins"

"the postprandial accumulation of hepatogenous TRL is more pronounced in individuals fed a diet rich in SFA relative to those fed a diet rich in PUFA"

TRL - triglycerides
SFA - saturated fatty acids
PUFA - polyunsaturated fatty acids

degsta
02-21-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool :)