PDA

View Full Version : Bench and Chins

Detard
02-26-2007, 08:49 PM
These are from today (first workout back after week of rest)

Bench http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YWvTsRBsaQ

Lemme know what you think of my bench form now. Ive been working on keeping my feet planted, core tight and pinching my shoulder blades together. If you remember my old bench vid I had up, you can compare it to that if you want.

Heres some chinups too. BW + 25 in the backpack (yeah I know, I need a dip belt :bash: ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z_P9fKBvyU

Buzzsaw
02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Great form on the bench.

Stumprrp
02-26-2007, 08:56 PM
great work detard lookin strong

1mmort4l
02-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Bench form looks pretty sweet to me.. Well done.

Detard
02-26-2007, 10:08 PM
thanks guys.

tdotteg
02-27-2007, 06:14 AM
your bench looks good.. I dunno about the chin ups for some reason it looks weird. Your elbows tend to flare out as you go up. could be the cambered bar i dunno.

smokinHawk
02-27-2007, 07:00 AM
what is going on with your feet, as i cant see them, form is looking pretty good, but to tell how your form really is you need to check it on a 1rm
if you want to improve it for power lifts keep working on your arch, your have a small one, but you might want to optimize it
also you keep your arms in good motion with your elbows in and the bar at a good place on your chest, then up.

-Superman-
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
I thought chin ups are with the palm facing away from your body? That is how ExRx.net shows them. That is how I do them. Am I wrong?

offhegoes03
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
I thought chin ups are with the palm facing away from your body? That is how ExRx.net shows them. That is how I do them. Am I wrong?

I've always done chinups with palms facing in and pullups with palms facing out, but I'm not sure if I'm right or not.

Detard, bench is looking good. hah for the chinups is that just a EZcurl bar supported on either side? damn, I'd be afraid of that slipping off in the middle of a chinup. good work though.

RedSpikeyThing
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Looking good!
Your bench form could be improved if you work on your arch. When you think your feet are pulled back enough, pull them a little more. Push hard and keep your butt down.

-Superman-
02-27-2007, 08:58 AM
I've always done chinups with palms facing in and pullups with palms facing out, but I'm not sure if I'm right or not.

Detard, bench is looking good. hah for the chinups is that just a EZcurl bar supported on either side? damn, I'd be afraid of that slipping off in the middle of a chinup. good work though.

Now I'm really confused. What is the difference between a chinup and a pull up? I thought pullups are with palms facing in and chinups facing out and arms spread wide?

sharkall2003
02-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Now I'm really confused. What is the difference between a chinup and a pull up? I thought pullups are with palms facing in and chinups facing out and arms spread wide?

I thought it was the exact opposite.
I always do pullups with my palms facing AWAY from the body.

Detard
02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
your bench looks good.. I dunno about the chin ups for some reason it looks weird. Your elbows tend to flare out as you go up. could be the cambered bar i dunno.

I think my elbows flare out abit because I use lats more than bi's??

what is going on with your feet, as i cant see them, form is looking pretty good, but to tell how your form really is you need to check it on a 1rm
if you want to improve it for power lifts keep working on your arch, your have a small one, but you might want to optimize it
also you keep your arms in good motion with your elbows in and the bar at a good place on your chest, then up.

I need to work on keeping my elbows tucked and bringing it down to my top of my arch, not so close to my neck.

I do chins with palms facing me and pullups with palms away. hahhaha yeah it looks scary but I put the collars on either side pointing down so it wont slide from side to side. Gotta make due with what I got hahaha.

Looking good!
Your bench form could be improved if you work on your arch. When you think your feet are pulled back enough, pull them a little more. Push hard and keep your butt down.

I like to bench flat footed so when I can only put my feet back so far without them going on the sides. But i'll try what you suggest and see how it works.

As for the pullups vs. chinups question. I do chinups with my palms facing me and pullups with my palms away. It makes sense to me like this because when you're climbing a fence, you dont "chin" yourself up. You pull yourself up with an overhand grip. Therefore making chinups underhand and pullups overhand.

yay for multi quote

sharkall2003
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Nice benching and nice chins. I can't do those things for the life of me.

pipes
02-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Form looks good. Keep it up.

Detard
02-27-2007, 02:03 PM
thanks guys

fleep
02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Chinups: palms facing you...use a close-grip to really hit the biceps hard
Pullups: palms facing away from you...grip wider than shoulder-width to really work lats

sleeplessaddict
02-27-2007, 05:06 PM
bench form looked good.

as far as ur comment about ur elbows flaring out so u work ur lats more? keep elbows in and do those for bi's... and reverse ur grip if ur trying for lats.

EricGT4
03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice pullups.

MeHoW
03-05-2007, 01:54 PM
If you want your form to get better you need to use lighter weights.
Bench:Your arms look like they are placed way too wide and that might cause some strain on your shoulders in the long run and uneven development.

Aside from that your chinups don't look bad, once again though it seems like your form is suffering a bit because of too much weight.
Try working on doing pullups with your legs crossed with knees bent (not extended forward) and not straining/stretching your neck when you do it.

The neck stretch is the first sign that you are using too much weight.

Other than that, good work. How long have you been lifting?

smokinHawk
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
If you want your form to get better you need to use lighter weights.
Bench:Your arms look like they are placed way too wide and that might cause some strain on your shoulders in the long run and uneven development.

you realy dont know your form and how to adjust it untill you lift heavy weight, anyone can have great form with lighter weight blah blah, but when they load up close to their max you see what their true form is and then they have to work on that.

now you talk about his grip, that is a matter of what he is trying to accomplish when he benches, does he want to push more weight per effeincy? devolop his triceps more, chest more, shoulders more?

i dont think his grip is to wide, though i have a narrow grip and trying to bring it out

RookieHooks
03-05-2007, 11:25 PM
That slight wobble on his bench is expected?
I thought I had bad form this whole time...My bench looks just like his...
for the most part...

My bad lol

markdk86
03-06-2007, 05:55 AM
For the chinups I doubt it is too much weight. If you bring your palms more midline with the rest of your body I think that weight will be fine since you will be assisting more with your biceps. Otherwise, nice work.

Detard
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
mehow - I put my ring finger on the rings so it's not too wide. Thanks, i've been lifting for about a year and a half. Started in october/november of 2006.

rookie - Slight wobble? What do you mean?

mark - Thanks. I guess i'll try chinups with my hands closer together.