PDA

View Full Version : Oh my god... 500 lb clean and press...

Stumprrp
02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJrYPVJ88M

GOD ALMIGHTY! that was rediculous!

no words here!

ThatSkinnyGuy
02-27-2007, 06:35 PM
He didn't even jerk it! That was a press! And a controlled one at that! Here's to the living legends amongst us, I suppose.

Stumprrp
02-27-2007, 06:42 PM
that was weightlifting in the 70s/80s man, BRUTE STRENGTH!

02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
that was weightlifting in the 70s/80s man, BRUTE STRENGTH!

and LOTS of steroids !!!

getfit
02-27-2007, 07:15 PM
holy crap!

NickW
02-27-2007, 07:30 PM
thats just stoopid brute strength! Simply amazing!

betastas
02-27-2007, 07:38 PM
and LOTS of steroids !!!

Does it make it less amazing?

chris mason
02-27-2007, 07:47 PM
No, not a living legend. He died tragically young.

Serge was Alexeyev's main competition. He may have been stronger, but could not pull it together at contest time and beat Alexeyev.

vdizenzo
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
and LOTS of steroids !!!

That is just an ignorant statement!

vdizenzo
02-27-2007, 07:51 PM
That was an awesome lift and that guy was old school jacked!

Stumprrp
02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
hell yeah! old school jacked is the sh1t IMO! haha! we all know what built that frame, eggs milk and steak!

Uncle Fester
02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
damn, it looks like could have done a lot more

123 champ
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
wow....

02-27-2007, 08:36 PM
That is just an ignorant statement!

i didnt say he was on steriods i dont knwo anything about him just that there was lots of steroid use in the 70's and 80's expecially for different types of strength athletes - i know a lot of athletes got in trouble for the use of steroids around when they were banned and in the time shortly afterward ( not that athletes arent still getting in trouble for using them)

BiggerGuns=LD
02-27-2007, 08:47 PM
and LOTS of steroids !!!
Idiotic comment

02-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Idiotic comment

omgyou guys are brutal tonight!- so your telling me there wasnt lots of steroid use in the 70's and 80's????????????

BiggerGuns=LD
02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
omgyou guys are brutal tonight!- so your telling me there wasnt lots of steroid use in the 70's and 80's???????????? Steroids have been used in Olympic lifting since the mid 1950's, but so what.

RedSpikeyThing
02-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Screw the big 3 - THAT is how you determine true strength!

omgyou guys are brutal tonight!- so your telling me there wasnt lots of steroid use in the 70's and 80's????????????

As an athlete yourself, would you want someone to completly overshadow the hard work and dedication you've put in by making an outlandish claim that you are using steroids?

Optimum08
02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
wow. unbelievable. basically a 500 lb. push press with no leg use. ridic.

02-27-2007, 10:38 PM

As an athlete yourself, would you want someone to completly overshadow the hard work and dedication you've put in by making an outlandish claim that you are using steroids?

honesly i could care less if someone makes the outlandish comment that they believe i have used or use steroids i know i havent and i know i worked my ass to get there i dont do sports for other people i do it for myself - i wasnt a put down and i dont care if people use steroids its their choice it was just a comment

bill
02-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Awesome lift

SaVvY
02-28-2007, 07:27 AM
sickness!! i wouldn't call it a strict press as he seems to bend backwards an sorta bounce it off the chest, but still, this is 500lbs with no leg drive...

Guido
02-28-2007, 07:52 AM
As an athlete yourself, would you want someone to completly overshadow the hard work and dedication you've put in by making an outlandish claim that you are using steroids?It's hardly an outlandish claim. Steroid use in the Eastern Bloc was quite rampant in the 70's and early 80's (just look at East German female swimmers and weightlifters of the era). Also, despite major advances in our knowledge of nutrition and training protocols, many of the Olympic lifting records have remained little changed in 20-25+ years. In fact, the all time clean+jerk, snatch, and total records were set in the 80's and still stand (by Leonid Taranenko of the USSR, Antonio Krastev of Bulgaria, and Taranenko again, respectively).

You don't think at least part of the reason is because of increased testing and banning of steroids and their precursors and the fall of the Soviet Union do you? If not, then why did the records continually increase through to the end of the 1980's? And why was there a dramatic drop-off in the best lifts in the 90's, only now again getting even close to the point where they were in the 1980's? It's pretty clear what the difference is.

vdizenzo
02-28-2007, 08:48 AM
It's hardly an outlandish claim. Steroid use in the Eastern Bloc was quite rampant in the 70's and early 80's (just look at East German female swimmers and weightlifters of the era). Also, despite major advances in our knowledge of nutrition and training protocols, many of the Olympic lifting records have remained little changed in 20-25+ years. In fact, the all time clean+jerk, snatch, and total records were set in the 80's and still stand (by Leonid Taranenko of the USSR, Antonio Krastev of Bulgaria, and Taranenko again, respectively).

You don't think at least part of the reason is because of increased testing and banning of steroids and their precursors and the fall of the Soviet Union do you? If not, then why did the records continually increase through to the end of the 1980's? And why was there a dramatic drop-off in the best lifts in the 90's, only now again getting even close to the point where they were in the 1980's? It's pretty clear what the difference is.

He was not the only person in the entire world with access to drugs at the time. I am not comparing it to any lift. I am just amazed at what a feat of strength it is regardless of anything else. I wish people could just say great lift and move on or say nothing at all.

deeder
02-28-2007, 09:13 AM

Whoa now... You just forced me to come out of the darkness of lurking. The big three is where it's at!

8.8, while your comment may not have been completely undeserved, I think people are more upset with the dismissive nature of it. Even with a ****-ton of steroids I doubt a single person on this board would be capable of such a feat.

Still pretty ****ing crazy IMO!

RedSpikeyThing
02-28-2007, 10:11 AM
It's hardly an outlandish claim. Steroid use in the Eastern Bloc was quite rampant in the 70's and early 80's (just look at East German female swimmers and weightlifters of the era). Also, despite major advances in our knowledge of nutrition and training protocols, many of the Olympic lifting records have remained little changed in 20-25+ years. In fact, the all time clean+jerk, snatch, and total records were set in the 80's and still stand (by Leonid Taranenko of the USSR, Antonio Krastev of Bulgaria, and Taranenko again, respectively).

It's outlandish in that there is no basis for the claim except "well everybody else was doing it". Furthermore the original comment did not even acknowledge the fact that, steroids or not, that is an incredible lift.

Stumprrp
02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
he could probley bench 650 if he wanted to, lol.

RhodeHouse
02-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, vdizenzo could press 500 if he trained for it. I've seen him press 400 and a close miss at 425 (horrible unrack and set-up).

Here's the thing about steroids and use. It's awesome. But sriously, the **** doesn't lift the weight. The athlete still has to do the work. If all the athletes were using them, why did some stand above the rest? TRAINING! If you know how to train that is what makes the difference. That was a badass 500 lb clean and press. AWESOME LIFT! I believe Alexyev(sp) held the WR for 30+ years at 571 (I think), set in 1971. An American broke the record at the last Olympics. Shawn Hammond, I think?

zen
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm with 8.8 (even if 8.8 isn't with 8.8). It's lots o' steroids. lol
flame on. I think it's true. sue me.

Rock Steady
02-28-2007, 02:41 PM
That's amazing. My deadlift is 365 and to even dream of taking that up by 50% and PUSHING IT OVER MY HEAD is absurd to me.

Maki Riddington
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm with 8.8 (even if 8.8 isn't with 8.8). It's lots o' steroids. lol
flame on. I think it's true. sue me.

Even if it is, so what. He still pulled and pressed 500 pounds.

Sensei
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
He was not the only person in the entire world with access to drugs at the time. I am not comparing it to any lift. I am just amazed at what a feat of strength it is regardless of anything else. I wish people could just say great lift and move on or say nothing at all.
Exactly. Nothing more needs to be said.

Shark
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
and LOTS of steroids !!!

This is completely true and in no way diminishes the amazing feat that was achieved here. 8.8, you have nothing to appologize for.

Guido
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
He was not the only person in the entire world with access to drugs at the time. I am not comparing it to any lift. I am just amazed at what a feat of strength it is regardless of anything else. I wish people could just say great lift and move on or say nothing at all.Great lift, yes. I was just defending 8.8 because of the backlash she got by suggesting that steroids more than likely were involved. No doubt he would be strong regardless of them, and in no way do I claim that there was not tons of hard work involved in getting to the point where he could do such a feat of strength and power.

bill
02-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Sure steroids are a big contributer, I just think people do get tired of (others feeling the need to say it) I'm guilty of it much of the time.
People defend Ronnie Coleman constantly, should we? maybe better just to ignore, it's all roids comments.
Thanks for posting anyway, very impressive how explosive he cleans the wt.

Stumprrp
02-28-2007, 05:21 PM
can everyone please shut the hell up about the roids? lol

i wonder if he trained the jerk if he could get 600 lbs up, pressing 500 with backbend i can deff. see a jerk over 575 or so.

Sensei
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
i wonder if he trained the jerk if he could get 600 lbs up, pressing 500 with backbend i can deff. see a jerk over 575 or so.I don't know what Serge Reding's best C&J is, but I think it's something like 520 or so. He's no longer with us.

Stumprrp
02-28-2007, 06:22 PM
i know, what a shame, hmm thats interesting that its so close to his press! what a horse though.

Dinosaur
02-28-2007, 06:27 PM
He didn't even jerk it! That was a press! And a controlled one at that! Here's to the living legends amongst us, I suppose.

Back then the clean and press was still considered an O-lift along with the C&J and the snatch.

http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/a_demo_press_techniques.asp

bjohnso
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
dear God, that's a lot of weight! Anyone know what the world record for a clean is?

Dinosaur
02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Hossein Rezazadeh's leading the C&J right now, an insane 580:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Lf3AlZO4BI

magicman531
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Because no one uses steroids today...

Shark
02-28-2007, 09:34 PM

This is not a video of a man... this is a video of a straight up mass monster. Unbelievable!!

NickW
03-01-2007, 06:02 AM
This is not a video of a man... this is a video of a straight up mass monster. Unbelievable!!

That guy is unbelievable, I wouldn't be fit to carry his gym bag!

bjohnso
03-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Wow. That guy can clean and jerk more than my rack pull. :(

Mik
03-01-2007, 08:50 AM

Jeebus. That is insane!

RhodeHouse
03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
I wish I could get in contact with some of the old Russian chemists and Dr's who helped out those athletes. I would take EVERYTHING they told me to. And, in true American form, I would take it all twice! Just because Americans do everything in excess. I have the butterflies just thinking about it. I'm jealous!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about drug use. IMO, it's just an accepted part of the game, much like wearing helmets in football. It's just what you do. No one bashes Emmitt Smith and his amazing record because he wore a helmet and cleats to do it.

"Good talk, Russ."

magicman531
03-01-2007, 04:20 PM
Hossein's is the official world's record. But actually a few others have done more than him. Pisarenko being one of them.

levronefan
03-01-2007, 04:37 PM
I wish I could get in contact with some of the old Russian chemists and Dr's who helped out those athletes. I would take EVERYTHING they told me to. And, in true American form, I would take it all twice! Just because Americans do everything in excess. I have the butterflies just thinking about it. I'm jealous!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about drug use. IMO, it's just an accepted part of the game, much like wearing helmets in football. It's just what you do. No one bashes Emmitt Smith and his amazing record because he wore a helmet and cleats to do it.

"Good talk, Russ."

I have to agree with what you said....................... for the most part, except that little joke at the end where you mention emmitt smith's amazing record!!!!!!!!! LOL thats a good one..

it took him 16 years to run for 18,000 yards!! now if you would have said barry sanders amazing record, i would have to agree, because 15,200+ yards in 10 seasons is much more impressive....

bics56
03-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Manchild

RhodeHouse
03-06-2007, 04:02 PM
True about Barry. He was the man! I'm a Cowboys fan, though.

Sleepy Guy
03-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Finally got to watch it. Makes me wonder if today we are doing things right went they could own like that back then.

Man he is one thick mo fo. Anyone have other lifts of his on video?