PDA

View Full Version : Weight Lose And Veggies!!!

123 champ
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
i read that you should consume vegtables with all your meals. But i also know that you shouldn't consume carbs after 6:00 or 7:00pm. When cutting, should one consume vegtables with their meal before they go to bed? (in most cases with their cottage cheese :nod:)

02-27-2007, 07:10 PM
yes most veggiies hardly have any carbs in them some - dont eat starchey veggies they have more carbs such as corn

Mr. D
02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
and the carb cutoff thing is really a myth. If you setup a diet plan with targeted goals of macros each day, then it doesnt matter, what time you eat them.

So lets say you shoot for 200g carb,200g pro,100g a fat a day. If you have 30g pro,20g fat, and 30g carbs left for that last meal, there is nothing wrong with that.

123 champ
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
i thought that carbs turn to fat if you dont burn them before you sleep because they just sit in your stomach and u dont use them?

Slim Schaedle
02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
i thought that carbs turn to fat if you dont burn them before you sleep because they just sit in your stomach and u dont use them?

Nope.

In fact, I am going to be eating about 200g carbs pretty soon here. I will be in bed shortly after.

That should put me at about 900g for the day.

Slim Schaedle
02-27-2007, 08:30 PM
dont eat starchey veggies they have more carbs such as corn

Why not?

Mr. D
02-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Slim: you carb loading today?Do you also find yourself chained to the toilet during a carb load?

sorry to hijack the thread.

Slim Schaedle
02-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Slim: you carb loading today?Do you also find yourself chained to the toilet during a carb load?

sorry to hijack the thread.

Na, not on UD2 at the moment.

800-900 is just a typical day for my "bulk" (I hate calling it that)

It's mostly liquid (oats, milk, etc)

Bowel movements are pretty much unpredictable.

02-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Why not?

he is cutting- do u really think telling him to eat 200g of carbs right before bed is a good idea -

before bed you dont NEED carbs as bad as you would as before a workout so if you are cutting expecially if its a low carb cut i would be better to get your carbs before a workout or after a workout instead of right before bed

but that not to say dont eat before bed you dont want to starve your muscles thoughout the night-but before bed protein and fat will get you though the night without canibalizing(sp?) your muscles

Slim Schaedle
02-27-2007, 08:55 PM
he is cutting- do u really think telling him to eat 200g of carbs right before bed is a good idea -

Like my post that you commented on regarding drinking, etc., you are deducting things from my sentences in a flawed manner and using them in ways not intended by myself.

First, my matter-of-fact 200g comment indirectly exemplifies the fact that eating carbs before bed does not automatically lead to fat gain. I never advised him to consume that (or any) amount, nor is my personal example meant to be a recommendation to anyone.

Second, the guy is 15 years old, he's 5'4" and he weighs 121 lbs. I am not sure that teling him not to eat starchy vegetables, much less him engaging a cutting diet, is the best idea.

Third, your answer to my post does not address my actual question to you regarding why you advise not to eat starchy vegeatbles, regardless of facts/theories about metabolism, energy charge, and basic physiological needs which I am well aware of.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Simple answer: Just eat your veggies.

But i also know that you shouldn't consume carbs after 6:00 or 7:00pm.That's incorrect. Like Slim said, I have carbs right before bed. Cutting or bulking, the time which you eat does not matter.

but that not to say dont eat before bed you dont want to starve your muscles thoughout the night-but before bed protein and fat will get you though the night without canibalizing(sp?) your musclesYou're overcomplicating things and the window of "starvation" is a lot wider than you think. Bedtime meals are important, but your body is amazingly resilient and it won't "cannibalize" your muscles as much as you think. I believe that whole idea is blown way out of proportion and exaggerated quite a bit to the point that it puts absolute fear into the minds of many people.

123 champ
02-27-2007, 09:48 PM
umm i didnt mean to confuse yall, im not really on a cutting diet. i just dont want to gain weight cause i have to weigh in for a state powerlifting meet and my weight is really close. i have always eaten cottage cheese and udo's oil before bed, i just wasnt sure if i should include veggies (specifically broccoli and spinach) with this meal.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-27-2007, 09:51 PM
You should be eating veggies anyway. But if you want to add more calories, stick some olive oil in your drinks or something. Calories from fat add up fast.

02-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Like my post that you commented on regarding drinking, etc., you are deducting things from my sentences in a flawed manner and using them in ways not intended by myself.

First, my matter-of-fact 200g comment indirectly exemplifies the fact that eating carbs before bed does not automatically lead to fat gain. I never advised him to consume that (or any) amount, nor is my personal example meant to be a recommendation to anyone.

Second, the guy is 15 years old, he's 5'4" and he weighs 121 lbs. I am not sure that teling him not to eat starchy vegetables, much less him engaging a cutting diet, is the best idea.

Third, your answer to my post does not address my actual question to you regarding why you advise not to eat starchy vegeatbles, regardless of facts/theories about metabolism, energy charge, and basic physiological needs which I am well aware of.

wow i odnt even rememebr what u said about drinking- and i answered his question in his origional post he said "while cutting" no i dont think that you should never eat starchy veggies but they cannot be treated the same as green firous veggies there are more carb and calories in them

02-27-2007, 10:32 PM
umm i didnt mean to confuse yall, im not really on a cutting diet. i just dont want to gain weight cause i have to weigh in for a state powerlifting meet and my weight is really close. i have always eaten cottage cheese and udo's oil before bed, i just wasnt sure if i should include veggies (specifically broccoli and spinach) with this meal.

yes inclued them there great for you!!!!

mikesbytes
02-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I would of thought that the carbs before bed would need to go somewhere. I can think of 2 places;
- Glycogen
- Fat

Wouldn't the body restore glycogen levels from available sources, first being the food you ate and second being your fat stores ? right or wrong ?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
02-28-2007, 01:29 AM
When you oversimplify you cause confusion.

Unreal
02-28-2007, 06:14 AM
I would of thought that the carbs before bed would need to go somewhere. I can think of 2 places;
- Glycogen
- Fat

Wouldn't the body restore glycogen levels from available sources, first being the food you ate and second being your fat stores ? right or wrong ?

Your body doesn't convert fat to glycogen.
Your body can also use those carbs for energy. It takes energy to heat your body, make you breathe, and all that fun stuff. Unless you die each night and then resurrect yourself in the morning your stilling expending energy overnight.

mikesbytes
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Your body doesn't convert fat to glycogen.
Your body can also use those carbs for energy. It takes energy to heat your body, make you breathe, and all that fun stuff. Unless you die each night and then resurrect yourself in the morning your stilling expending energy overnight.

How does the body consume stored fat ?

Unreal
02-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Ask Slim or google it. I believe it breaks it down into FFAs where they are oxidized into energy or something like that.

Slim Schaedle
02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
How does the body consume stored fat ?

Unreal outlined the basics.

Adipose tissue consists of triglycerides (3 fatty acids and a glycerol molecule)

Fatty acids are released, then you've got some more conversions and eventually some Kreb cycle action.

This is the extremely short hand version also. I might lay it all out if I get some time.