PDA

View Full Version : New to nutrition

saia127
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Hello

I'm 15 5'9 150 lbs and I'am looking to gain some weight. I have many questions that I hope you can answer. first off I have been reading around and everything says that i need to eat at least 6 times a day and to eat meals with the right nutrition. But with school I don't know if i can eat that many times and take in the healthier foods.Any ideas on some food that I could eat from school that would be help me gain weight? I was thinking that mabey i could eat lunch then later eat a power bar on the way to class or something like that. Would that work?

This might not be in the right form but what would be some good protien powder to take to gain weight?

Also if someone could tell me how to figure out how many calories I need to take that would really be appreciated.

Thank for any help in advance.

arturo
02-28-2007, 06:59 PM
just eat alot...and drink lots of milk

shoot4dabigtime
02-28-2007, 07:03 PM
just cook up some stuff the night before and throw it in some tupperware!

saia127
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
shoot4dabigtime Our school won't let you bring your own food, but they have a good variety of foods.

louisl288
02-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey, I have some of the same issues. I know I have to eat ALOT to gain weight while working out; I'm just confused on how this helps build muscle.

What I'm doing right now is:

Grab a power bar before school
Drink alot of water during the day
Eat lunch (i need some suggestions also)
Power bar before workout
Workout (after school)
Protein shake (after workout)
Dinner (i need some suggestions)
Protein shake
Sleep.

shoot4dabigtime
03-01-2007, 05:51 AM
shoot4dabigtime Our school won't let you bring your own food, but they have a good variety of foods.

can you give some examples? also, i'm sure you could sneak a protein bar or some protein powder to mix.

Mr. D
03-01-2007, 09:06 AM
Eat a big breakfast. Thats the best start for you young guys. Lots of complex carbs, think oatmeal, and a good protein source, think eggs(white and some yolk). Maybe a piece of fruit or 2, a glass of milk and thats a champions breakfast.

As for eating 6 times a day, it is not necessarily necessary. It just makes it easier spreading out large amounts of calories throughout the day that way.

You can make a homemde 1000 cal weight gainer shake that you can sip on between meals. Some scoops of nitrean,Natural Peanut Butter,Olive oil (if you need the cals to jump up quick), milk, grinded oats.

If for lunch, you have no choice to eat but whats offered in cafeteria, then look for lean meats and always eat your vegggies. If eating off campus, try to find best choice of lean meats,healthy fats, and veggies. You might have to sacrifice and eat the same thing nearly everyday. Most resturants produce a calorie guide these days.

The meal before bed I would make a Cottage Cheese + some fat like PB meal. You could also add a small piece of fruit if you like.

For other snack options thruout the day, add nuts, yogurt, cans of tuna,etc..

saia127
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

shoot4dabigtime yea I was thinking of mabey eating a power bar on the way to class or something.

As for lunch we always have hamburgers, fried and sometimes grilled chicken sandwiches(like chickfila) chicken wraps, turkey/ham sanwiches(wheat or white bread), turkey/ham on french bread, salads, fies, and a hot lunch but that always is something different. Thing I'm not so sure about is the quality of the meat.

Again thanks for the help.

shoot4dabigtime
03-01-2007, 03:41 PM
ok your school lunches don't sound to bad for the most part. on hamburger day i would try to smuggle in some chicken breast, but thats just me.

saia127
03-01-2007, 05:26 PM
everything i listed we can get everyday except hot lunch cause it is something different everday. we also have powerade, chips, cereal, special k bars, etc.

saia127
03-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Also Mr.D I noticed you said healthy fats i don't know what healthy fats are. I've been looking everywere to find some help but i can't find anything and if I do, I don't understand it.

Mr. D
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Healthy Fats = Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Nuts (Peanuts,almonds,cashews,walnuts), Avocado, Natural Peanut Butter.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Also Mr.D I noticed you said healthy fats i don't know what healthy fats are. I've been looking everywere to find some help but i can't find anything and if I do, I don't understand it.Healthy Fat = Essential Fatty Acids (mono and polyunsaturated fats) -- avocados, nuts and seeds, olive oil, berries, beans, fatty fish, fish oil, leafy vegetables, natural peanut butter (or simply peanuts), strawberries, tuna, etc...

saia127
03-04-2007, 05:33 PM
When I Look at food labels it is good to have Polyunsaturated Fat and Monounsaturated Fat. So bad fat would be just saturated?

Thanks for the help Mr.D and scarz.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-04-2007, 06:50 PM
About 30% of your fat should come from saturated fat. Saturated fat is still needed by the body. But...most of the fat you should be eating is healthy fat.

louisl288
03-04-2007, 08:19 PM
How much healthy fats should a beginner be taking in on a daily basis?

Can you give some examples scarz?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
03-04-2007, 08:27 PM
You should be getting about .5 grams of fat per pound of LBM, with about 30% coming from saturated fat and the rest from healthy fat sources.

Here, read this ~> http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=284