PDA

View Full Version : Hitting a nerve with the needle

trunksy
03-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I had my blown drawn yesterday for a white blood cell count at the hospital and I think the F*n male nurse might have hit a nerve. I felt a twinge when he was about almost all the way in. He pulled out a bit when he noticed my pain but still drew the blood instead of pulling out all the way and resticking me.

Anyway, yesterday, I was still able to get through my workout even though I had sporadic twinges of pain below where they drew blood. Now, the day after, I just keep hitting that "spot" where I get this twinge that goes all the way up my forearm from my wrist to where they drew blood. I don't think I would be able to do an arm workout if today was my arm day. Today is my leg day. Hopefully, I can still do deadlifts...

Has anyone hit a nerve before whether by a nurse or when injecting themselves? Were you still able to workout the days after? How long did it take to heal? Were you able to get anything for the pain to get through your workouts?

Davidelmo
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Don't do deadlifts - don't use the arm until the pain goes away.

I made the mistake of deadlifts after having blood taken and ended up with an ENORMOUS bruise down most of my arm.

trunksy
03-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Damn it. I was hoping this wasn't going to set me back any in my training.

Davidelmo
03-02-2007, 12:07 PM
A couple days off won't hurt your overall training. Enjoy a couple of days break and then get back in the gym with more energy than before!

trunksy
03-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm just being a pusse. I have already taken a few weeks off when I got sick over the holidays. I guess I was all ready to be on this kick to hit the gym hard before spring kicks in and the half-naked parties start in April.

Gettin' Big
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
i'm not saying that he did or didn't hit a nerve, but if he did he must suck at drawing blood. The nerves that pass through that part of the arm are relatively deep and would require a needle passing completely through the vein and then some underlying tissue. But it does happen. I would think that a couple of days is plenty. When I used to donate plasma they just told me to lay off heavy lifting for the rest of the day. But everyone is different i guess.