PDA

View Full Version : diet question

Princess
02-18-2002, 03:36 PM
so, my question is what would be a good cutting diet if I'm doing cardio 5 days a week..............I want to lose bodyfat, but gain muscle at the same time.
I was combining cardio and lifting, 3 and 3, but I guess that's a problem now. I'm conditioning for soccer for the next few weeks, and then I start practice for that, and track. By the time I'm done with practice the weight room is closed, and it's not open in the morning.
So basically, I don't want to lose alot of muscle, but I don't know how to keep building muscle when I can't lift. Should I Still take extra protein or what?????

aaaaaaarrgggggggggggghhhh:help:

the doc
02-18-2002, 03:43 PM
it will be very difficult to build muscle without resistance training

you could pursue some HIIT type training, but results may be minimal

For muscle maintainence, continue eating adequate protein. However, muscle loss will be inevitable with a cardio only type training.

Hmmm, if your in soccer though you shouldn't much if any leg or calf work though as this will get hit hard in practice

Princess
02-18-2002, 04:35 PM
I want everything to get hit hard, not just legs....... but I guess that's better than nothing.

So does anyone else have any suggestions here???????????????????????????????????????????????

Princess
02-19-2002, 06:07 AM
Alright, I asked a question on here yesterday and got one reply sooooooooo I'm asking AGAIN.
I just want to know what kinds of foods I should be eating if I'm doing cardio 5-6 days a week..
I was lifting and doing cardio.... 3 days of each, but I can't do that now because by the time I'm done with conditioning the weight room is closed. So, I still want to be building muscle..... while losing fat.... and I want to keep the muscle loss minimal, but I know it's not completely avoidable. So should I still be taking extra protein????? and how much protein?

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-19-2002, 06:12 AM
ok, ok:

give us stats, your current routine, your current diet and your goals.

why are you doing so much cardio?

Princess
02-19-2002, 06:33 AM
Because I'm conditioning for soccer..... then I start practice, as well as track practice... the running is in soccer though, I do shot and disc for track..
I'm like 5'5" and 135-140 lbs.
My diet is kind of irregular I guess, I mean I don't eat the same things everyday, well I kind of do... I mean it's always high protein low carbs... somedays just more than others..
I'd say on average I eat about 100g protein give or take a little..
and carbs probably about 50, give or take.

I want to gain muscle, and lose bodyfat, but I haven no idea how that's possible when all I'm doing is running...... and ya I mean I might be able to lift here and there, but I don't think that just doing it now and then is going to be very beneficial.

Alex.V
02-19-2002, 06:38 AM
Well, you're not really going to build much muscle while running... you DO need a higher protein intake than the government would lead you to believe, but not hugely so... .8-1 gram per pound of bodyweight should be fine... Just go for 120-140 grams a day. Carbs should be a bit higher, too. Unless you want to start farting around with car rotation, try to get at least 200 grams a day. 50 grams of carbs is nowhere NEAR enough for someone at your activity level.... I see 600 calories in your diet. You're an athlete, your primary concern is performance. 1400-1500 calories is as low as I would go for weight loss if you're trying to preserve muscle.

One thing, though, is that you DO need to do some lifting. If you're doing shot and disc for track (I did those too, btw), you're going to need upper body strength to be competitive, and you should try to get in the weight room at least two days a week.... adjust your schedule if need be, and dump some conditioning.

Princess
02-19-2002, 06:49 AM
ya, I've thought about dropping some conditioning, but then everyone will be on my ass about not participating.

maybe I should just steal a key to the weightroom..... :D

max_power
02-19-2002, 07:10 AM
Carboidrates are too low...you should raise them. Try to eat low GI carboidrates.

max_power

David
02-19-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Princess

maybe I should just steal a key to the weightroom..... :D

LOL

Alex.V
02-19-2002, 10:04 AM
ya, I've thought about dropping some conditioning, but then everyone will be on my ass about not participating.

But if it will make you a better athlete.... :)

Who's telling you to do so much damn "conditioning" anyway?

David
02-19-2002, 02:05 PM
conditioning as in "soccer practice" :cool:

Princess
02-19-2002, 02:17 PM
hey hot shot, "conditioning" comes before soccer practice..... that's why it's called "conditioning"!!

oh goodness:rolleyes:

David
02-19-2002, 02:25 PM
oh yea, i knew that :cool:

hey, who you callin' "hot shot"???

Princess
02-19-2002, 02:39 PM
hmmm.................. I wonder

Alex.V
02-19-2002, 02:47 PM
Well, there's actually a member here called "hot shot". lol.

My question is, is it the coach who's insisting on 6 days a week of conditioning, and if so, can you possibly discuss this with her/him?

Princess
02-19-2002, 02:50 PM
oh wow, there's a hot shot here huh? My my my, who would've known...

To answer your question he isn't demanding we do it, at least no til march 11th, but I feel an obligation to do it, and if I don't then......... I just feel guilty, or something....

the doc
02-19-2002, 03:42 PM
those fuking coaches are know-it-alls

sometimes i think they run you to death just for sadistic pleasure

i NEVER had a coach do "conditioning" with us

Jane
02-19-2002, 04:49 PM
Coaches are a pain in the ass.

That is all.

Well, I shouldn't degenerate. Getting in a weight room can be tough, I've been there. But it's definitely worth it. Do what you have to do. Talk to your coach. Get articles and show them to him. Find out when other sport teams are in the room. Can you make friends with whoever has access to open the thing? That's what I did, my old swim coach helped me out a bit. Nothing helps muscle like lifting and nothing helps athletes like muscle :) Is there any other weight room you can get into? A nearby gym with student rates? Do you have any equipment at home? Where there's a will there's a way. Good luck :)

reso
02-19-2002, 04:52 PM
d00fy says cardio sucks:) i mean i do cardio once in a while only on days when i feel workout wasn't intense but i think its all about dieting and training rite:)i went from SKINNY FAT to FAT to SKINNY FAT to LEAN LOOKING<---got here without cardio:)

Princess
02-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Well reso cardio isn't an option for me, it's essential...... I mean when you're playing sports with alot of running you need to do a little more cardio than the average joe, plus I don't have a problem with it........ I feel great after I've done it.... I just want to lift also..... and there really isn't enough time for both.. So I guess I could switch on and off during conditioning, but once I start track and soccer I wont have enough time for cardio and lifting...... in fact I probably wont even be able to do both sports...... I have gone round and round with them about this.

And Jane, what do you mean by making "friends" with whoever has access to the weight room? haha ya... Well basically, alot of teachers have the key but they aren't even there by the time I will be done with practice......
Also, there really isn't any nearby gyms.. I live like 20 miles from school, and 35 miles from a real gym, and plus I don't have a car right now............ But, I will figure something out! I will break into that damn weight room if I have to. aaaaaargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reso
02-19-2002, 05:28 PM
thats tru i mean 3days lifting 3days cardio sounds fine.......but i overread your post,if it was everyday with lifting i would die:/

David
02-20-2002, 01:31 PM
I live like 20 miles from school, and 35 miles from a real gym, aaaaaargggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, Princess, do you live on a farm??? :D
:angel:

Princess
02-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by TripleP

Hey, Princess, do you live on a farm??? :D
:angel:

We're not getting into this AGAIN.

Princess
02-20-2002, 03:22 PM
besides, you should know

David
02-20-2002, 06:04 PM
oh, i know it alright!

Princess
02-20-2002, 08:46 PM
lalalalalalalalalalala riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

David
02-21-2002, 08:24 AM
:cool: