PDA

View Full Version : Squats vs Lunges vs Single leg squats

manowar669
03-02-2007, 06:28 AM
The other day, just to experiment, I tried BB "lunges", only I didn't step into the lunge, but rather placed my feet where they would be in a lunge, and then lowering my body until my rear knee touches the floor (gently), and my front knee is bent just past 90 degrees. I repped out a 5x5 working up to about 65% of my standard squat working weight (since only one leg is doing most of the work). I tried single leg BB squat with the rear foot elevated on a bench, but was a bit shaky. 2 days later, I'm still feeling it. I could tell this takes a bit of training of the stabilizers, which is a good thing. I've been crossfitting and training more for function/strength as opposed to appearance, so I'm moving in that direction.

My questions.
1. Would my exercise be called a single leg squat or a lunge, since I didn't really step into the lunge? (I guess it doesn't matter what I call it, just curious)

2. Would progressing in this exercise still have the endocrine-boosting effect of regular full squats (assuming same intensity)?

3. Is there any reason why I couldn't substitute this exercise for regular squats and progress on it instead? I'm thinking the training of core, abductors, adductors, calf stabilizers, etc. is a bonus.

Thanks.

Sensei
03-02-2007, 07:08 AM
It sounds like you are doing Bulgarian Split Squats. It's a great exercise. Comparing it to regular squats is like comparing apples and oranges.

Bob
03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Some comments:
1.. is this what you did? http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBSingleLegSplitSquat.html

2.. I'm not sure you could as heavy as squats..

3.. Like Sensei said.. great, but different then ATF Squats, or Box squats or Front Squats or hack Squats or Sissy Squats, etc...

manowar669
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Ok, I did this, a split squat:
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/GluteusMaximus/BBSplitSquat8.gif

It sounds like you are doing Bulgarian Split Squats. It's a great exercise. Comparing it to regular squats is like comparing apples and oranges.
Compares how? Tougher?(seems like, but maybe just because it's new to me). Do you think split squats produce the endocrine response of the regular full back squat? Obviously I'm using a lot more weight than the fairy in the gif.

Hazerboy
03-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Probably not. You can't go as heavy as with a full squat, and during the movement (I'm assuming) you're not recruiting as many muscle fibers as with a regular squat.

That being said, Its still a good excercise. There's really no replacement for regular squats, but It would be fine if you needed a change in your routine or something.

aming37
03-14-2007, 10:19 PM
The back squat recruits more muscles than any other exercise, therefor producing the biggest endocrine response. However, unilateral (single leg) work is very important and usually neglected by most lifters. It is especially important if you do sports because of the balance element added to the exercise. And I'm going to assume you do sports since this is the sport specific part of the forum.