PDA

View Full Version : Someone's please tell me how to eat?(sorry long)

gumbo11103
03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok total newbie here. Let me start by saying I am reading all the great information about nutrition here on this site. Also reading Built's articles on cutting and her diet. I just want to clear up that I'm making every effort to educate myself not just blaring questions.

I'm still so confused. Here's my stats and goals-
Currently- 5'7" male 124 lbs 10% body fat starting WBB1. I do about 3 hours of running per week along with this routine.
Goal- 140 lbs 7 % body fat

Now I understand that I will put on some fat during the bulk process but I'm looking to keep it at a minumin so a clean bulk is what I'm looking for. than of course at some point I will need to cut.

Now, how do I eat? Really now I'm eating about 2500 calories a day just healthy food. I'm assuming this is my maintance calories as I'm not gaining or losing. I haven't payed too much attention to macro's as this is just confusing. I have read something like 1 gram of protien per lean body mass and .5 grams of fat. Is this correct? So that would have to leave the rest for carbs than?? I'm sure I can handle that.

Reading Builts cutting routine has me totally confused. Wouldn't it just make sense to reduce calories to lose fat or is it really necassary to eat in such a manner that deprives carbs except for 2 meals? Also I noticed a lot of people eat as low as 100 grams of carbs during a cut. I usually eat more that that before noon. Is this healthy? I can only assume that for such a low carb diet that even more of your calories would have to come from protien and fat than during a bulk is this correct? That would turn out to be a hella of a lot of fat and protien.

Sorry if this sounds like a complicated newbie question but I have such a hard time gaining weight. I can stuff my face all day and I swear it just goes to my belly no matter how much I workout. The advice I have got on this board before is "just eat,eat,eat" but that doesn't build muscle for me. I'm totally trying to play it smart and not have that happen. FWIW- I have a nice 6 pack going and I'm not wiliing to cover it up.

Here's a basic set up of my current diet taken from yesterday-

M1-power optimum ceral w/ skim milk, bannana, coffee with milk and sugar(yes lots of suger), whole wheat bagle w/ a dab of butter
snack-low fat yogurt
M2-4 oz turckey breast w, bacon and cheese and lettuce and tomato on whole wheat, apple, kashi gronola bar
snack- about 2 servings of mixed veggies
snack- 1 8 oz Ensure(pre workout)
M3-4 oz salmon patty, aspargus, sweet photatoes(after workout)

Also mulit vitimans, along with ZMA before bed. 1 gallon of water.

Soo, what yall think?

thanks in advance

Holto
03-03-2007, 12:08 AM
I have read something like 1 gram of protien per lean body mass and .5 grams of fat. Is this correct? So that would have to leave the rest for carbs than?? I'm sure I can handle that.

Sounds good.

Reading Builts cutting routine has me totally confused. Wouldn't it just make sense to reduce calories to lose fat or is it really necassary to eat in such a manner that deprives carbs except for 2 meals?

No, but it works well for controlling hunger. If you don't have issues with hunger while eating carbs. Don't worry about it.

Also I noticed a lot of people eat as low as 100 grams of carbs during a cut. I usually eat more that that before noon. Is this healthy?

Healthy? Yes. Difficult? For lots of people.

I can only assume that for such a low carb diet that even more of your calories would have to come from protien and fat than during a bulk is this correct?

Yes.

Sorry if this sounds like a complicated newbie question but I have such a hard time gaining weight. I can stuff my face all day and I swear it just goes to my belly no matter how much I workout. The advice I have got on this board before is "just eat,eat,eat" but that doesn't build muscle for me. I'm totally trying to play it smart and not have that happen.

1) Track your calories very accurately so you know precisely what your maintenance is.

2) If your maintenance is 2500, try 2700 cals for 3-4 weeks and see what happens.

gumbo11103
03-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks Holto. Seems pretty simple. I'm going to read up on what a bodybuilder eats and get started but I think I'm on the right track.

What about these protien shakes? I tracked yesterdays calories on fitday just to see where I stand and much to my surprise my protien intake was 121 grams and fat was 65 grams. My LBM is 110 lbs so I went way over by just eating my usuall diet. Why would anyone need protien supplements if getting the proper amount is so easy?

Slim Schaedle
03-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Why would anyone need protien supplements if getting the proper amount is so easy?

Because the companies tell us we need it.

(I wish I had learned that 10 years ago)

gumbo11103
03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
OIC!!:nod: