PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!

blustring
02-19-2002, 09:21 AM
Greeting All,
Iím somewhat a newbie to the strength training circuit. Iíve been lifting on and off for the past 2 years, but Iím really trying to stay focused now. Iíve been strength training for the last 3 weeks, and have been pretty good about sticking to my routine. Iíve noticed changes, but Iím wondering if I should expect more. My main goal is to cut the fat. I want to lost 45 pounds and get my body fat down to 6-8%. I know thatís a pretty big goal, but Iím determined. One reason is because Iím getting married in June, and we are going to the Mayan Riviera on our honeymoon, and damn it, I want pictures of us on the beach without me being embarrassed of my big belly and love handles. Iíve been eating really healthy and trying to get as much protein and as little carbohydrates as possible. Iím getting under 2000 calories per day, and am getting anywhere from 100 to 150 grams of protein per day. I donít know exactly what my carb intake is, but itís pretty low. Iím 24 years old, 6í0Ē and weight 239lbs. I ballooned up to 248lbs and that made me decide to get serious of fitness training. I weighed in yesterday and have lost 9.6lbs in 3 weeks. Iím fairly active. I play for 3 different softball teams on top of training 6 days per week. I strength train on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and itís cardio on the other 3. I take Sunday to rest and catch up on work and school. I have been drinking protein shakes, (2 per day), but Iím wondering if I should be taking any supplements for muscle building and fat burning. Creatine has been suggested, but I read that it doesnít do much for fat burning, it mainly helps you build muscle. Does anyone have any suggestions, and please be specific, as Iím really new to the supplement world.
Thanks,
Mike

Tryska
02-19-2002, 09:29 AM
mmm....the firt supplement you should take is more food. at your weight and activity level you should be taking in at least 2400 cals. no less than 2000.

could you post your full diet for us?

blustring
02-19-2002, 09:43 AM
I don't really have a full diet plan.
Basically,
I eat a good breakfast usually consisting of 20-30 grams of protein. (ex. turkey bacon, 3 eggs, milk)

A protein shake at around 10:30

low fat/high protein lunch at 12:00

workout between 5:30 and 8:00 depending on which day it is

protein shake after workout

chicken/turkey or tuna for dinner

I don't plan out my meals like some people do. I don't have the time or money to plan that far ahead.

suggestions?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 09:47 AM
plan ahead as it is easier to stick to that way. that doesn't take a lot of money to do, just a little extra time.

you don't mention where your carb levels are, and we don't really know how much fat you are taking in. 3lbs/week is not a bad rate to be losing at, but it maybe be a little too fast (due to the caloric deficit), and you may stall out, and lose muscle in the process.

my advice is to ensure that your carbs come from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, that you get adequate protein, and that you get adequate fat from good sources in your diet.

and that you eat more. more than 2000 cals a day.

blustring
02-19-2002, 09:59 AM
I don' t really keep track of how many carbs I get daily. I don't drink soda, and I don't eat candy. Any carbs I get come from fairly healthy sources. I eat fruit, but not too much, and I eat a log of vegatables. As far as fat goes, I used to keep up, but lately I've only been keeping up with protein. My finace' is doing the Weight Watchers Points Plan, and I've been somewhat doing that with her, unless it interferes with my protein intake. That is the reason I've been getting below 2000 calories per day. Do you have any suggestions for a diet plan that I should use, or even the levels of carbs, fat, protein, calories, etc. that I should try to get? I have noticed an increase in energy since I started lifting again and eating healthy. I also try to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. I am easily able to stick to my diet plan during the week, but as a college student, it's hard to say no to the beer on the weekend. Any suggestons?
thanks

Tryska
02-19-2002, 10:12 AM
hee hee. say no to the beer on weekends. *lol*

whereabouts in georgia are ya? i'm down here too. :hello:

anyways....i'm not sure how i feel about weightwatchers, but i think a 40/30/30 (p/f/c) may work well for you. also you mgith want to check out Body For Life (for the diet part only). I think it simplifies the whole diet process out. at least my brother swears by it, and he's not reall big on detailed eating.

blustring
02-19-2002, 10:31 AM
I'm living in Athens right now, but I'm originally from South Georgia. I'm not opposed to changing my diet, if it will help my burn fat and build muscle, but I'm not hungry on the plan I'm on now. I crave food, stuff that I used to eat, but I'm not starving my self, or I don't feel like I am anyway. Tell me more about the Body For Life diet. If it will work for my then I'm all about using it. One of my goals is to see my abs. I know I have them, because I work them all the time, but they are buried. Also, please tell me more about the 40/30/30 plans you mentioned. And if you could, how much of each I need every day. Thanks

Tryska
02-19-2002, 10:42 AM
well there is a book on BFL that goes into detail, but basically you eat 6 small meals a day, and a certain amount of protein. I actually enjoy creating my diets from scratch and putting thought itno it, so i haven't actually read it. I just know my brother likes it. If anyone has any input positive or negative on that diet, then i please post it.

40-30-30 is a macronutrient breakdown ratio. 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs.

so if you were on, say a 2400 calorie diet that would be:
240 g protein, 180g Carbs. 80g fat.

say you split that up into 6 meals. each meal would contain:
40g protein, 30g carbs, around 13g fat.

not sure what that would look like menu-wise...anybody else wanna venture a guess?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 10:42 AM
oh..and i'm up in atlanta.

blustring
02-19-2002, 10:45 AM
How long have you been in Atlanta? What do you do?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 10:47 AM
7 years and i'm a systems admin. my sis and brother-in-law live out by you tho....he's doing some research project at the uni.

blustring
02-19-2002, 10:49 AM
I spend almost all of my time and money there. I'm a student in the engineering department. If you don't mind my asking, do you train regularly?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 10:52 AM
i do as a matter of fact. weighttrain 2-3 times a week, and cardio 4-5 times a week. (differeing amounts depending on if i lifted that day or not)

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:00 AM
Aside from my obvious need for a diet plan, would you suggest any supplements like myoplex or creatine? I want to build a great body, one that I can be proud of.

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:03 AM
well...to be honest....you can have a great body without the supplements.

i don't use creatine, but i do keep whey powder on hand to get my protein requirements in with.

the best supplement is steak. *lol*

and on that note..i'm gonna move this htread over to nutrition. so more people can se eit.

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:19 AM
how long have you been training?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:20 AM
mmm.....consisently, a year and a half almost?

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:25 AM
Do you have a success story?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:27 AM
*lol* no not quite...I'm still a work in progress. you can check my journal if you like. it goes through all my daily up and down drama.

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:29 AM
how would I do that?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:31 AM
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5974

careful...it's long and wordy, and just might throughly bore ya.

(that's my disclaimer)

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:36 AM
i'll give it a look

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:44 AM
it doesn't sound like you get much to eat

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:47 AM
yeah it's something i really need to work on. my goal is 2000 cals a day....when i've got my diet on target, I get about that many, but sometimes i skip meals here and there, and that really does set me back.

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:50 AM
I read that in order to lose a pound per week you should subtract 500 calories from your maintenance calorie intake. I need to lose more than a pound per week, so I subtracted more.

blustring
02-19-2002, 11:51 AM
I only have 17 weeks left

Tryska
02-19-2002, 11:57 AM
right, but that doesn't always work that way. when you try to hasten weightloss through calorie restriction, you increase your risk of losing muscle, bone mass, organ mass etc, alongside it. Your better off going no lower than 500 cals of maintenace, and getting the rest of your deficit through strength-training and cardio.

don't pay as much attention to the scale, and pay closer attention to changes in body composition. Losing weight is not the same thing as losing fat.

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:01 PM
I see what you're saying, but I have set specific goals, and really want to accomplish them. I feel better since I've been eating healthier, but I have a really hard time getting out of bed.

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:04 PM
i think with your level of activity, with the right blend of healthy foods, at an adequate calorie level, you have plenty of time, to look decent for your honeymoon, if not all the way to your goal. if there is one thing i've learned it's that your body will follow it's own schedule, and there is really no forcing that. Understand that what you are doing is making a lifestyle change. if you see this as just a temporary thing, who's to say that although you may get down to where you want to be (what's your goal again?), aftewr the honeymoon you don't blow up to 260? since you the "need for dieting" isn't there any longer?

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm looking at this a lifestyle change. I'm using my honeymoon as motivation, but I'm not planning on doing this for 4 months, then stopping. I want to stay fit, not get there and then relax. My goals are to lose 50 lbs, and get my body fat down to 6-8%.

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:11 PM
what is your body fat now?

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure, but I know it's not good. probably high 20's low 30's

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:12 PM
and 50lbs puts you at about 190? as your goal?

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:14 PM
sure, I can't remember when I last weighed 190

sounds pretty healthy

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:14 PM
i honestly think that in order to lose 50lbs safely and effectively you need a little more time......so how about a mini-goal for your honeymoon? say 210-ish? and maybe 12-15%bf?

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:17 PM
I'll take it, I haven't weighed less than 211 since I was in high school. It would be a good change for me. I weigh 239 as of yesterday, and when I started all of this I weighed 248. I'm making the kind of progress I want, but I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:22 PM
so that's 29lbs in 17 weeks. a little shy of 2lbs a week. I think, provided you body cooperates, you should be able to do it. Just bump up your calories a smidge.

btw - the reason i'm saying this is, that when you drastically cut calories, your body at first will shed a lot of weight....but as time goes on, if you aren't giving it enough calories to sustain basic metabolic function (in your case, roughly 2400 cals, at the moment -10x your bodyweight) it will go into starvation mode, donw-regulating your metabolism, and holding on to fat stores as it perceives a famine. so you gotta keep your metabolism fed, you just have to feed it the right foods to encourage as much fat burning as possible.

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:25 PM
okay, I understand. I'll try to plan out my diet a little better and increase my calorie intake.

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:28 PM
I went on this WW diet with my fiance' once before and got down to 228, but then stopped lifting, and stopped dieting. I don't know why I quit, I just got busy, and fast food is much easier than healthy food. I'm really searching for motivation to stay with it this time.

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:37 PM
motivation comes from within. when you want something bad enough, you do what's necessary to acheive it. just don't get complacent, and you'll be fine.

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:39 PM
Great,
I'll work on it, and get back with you. Are you here regularly?

Tryska
02-19-2002, 12:40 PM
pfft. look at my post count. *lol*

"here regularly" would be an understatement. i post from work. good luck man...you've done real good so far, so just keep up that enthusiasm.

blustring
02-19-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks for all your help today. I'll probably talk to you again soon. Have a good afternoon.

mike

Slim Schaedle
02-19-2002, 12:42 PM
Tryska?, heck no...she's like never on here:)
(sorry to butt in)

Slim Schaedle
02-19-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm too slow:cry:
*quietly slips through the door*