PDA

View Full Version : Explosive Deadlift

Big o Boy
03-04-2007, 04:26 AM
Hey guys/gals. I usually don't start a thread (besides posting in my journal), but a question has been running through my mind lately and if I don't ask someone about it, it's going to drive me insane.

I know it's implied to be explosive off the ground in the deadlift if you ever want to obtain a decent lift. ..but I was wondering, can this explosiveness lead to torn tendons/muscles in the future?

Would it be better to start the lift by grabbing the bar, pulling back slightly while straightening your arms and pulling your shoulders down, before exploding through the lift?

I know I've felt like I've dislocated my shoulder before when exploding at the bottom of the lift. Being that the "explosion" is essential to the lift, are there ways to train your body to hold up/adapt to this way of lifting, or is it just something I should get out of my head because it's a stupid question? :D

btw, I'm prepared for the short answer, "Do more deadlifts". So fire away.

Clifford Gillmore
03-04-2007, 06:04 AM
I've not too much experience with PL, but alot of people talk about

a) Getting tight before the lift, Hammies, core.
b) Squeezing the bar of the ground before the explosive motion.

I've never felt any shoulder pains when pulling, including speed pulls. How do you set up for a pull? Are your shoulders over the bar like setting up for a clean/snatch or are they behind the bar?

HeavyBomber
03-04-2007, 07:00 AM
There's a difference between exploding and jerking it off the ground. Risk10k is right on track. What I do is become tight between the bar and the floor for an instant and then quickly lift the bar off the ground. After the initial lift off the floor I explode my hips forward like I'm trying to toss a hott woman through the bedroom wall. If you successfully move your hips to the finish line you'll discover the lift is complete.

Big o Boy
03-04-2007, 08:12 AM
risk: I just recently starting pulling with my shoulder behind the bar (I'm learning, hah). Truth is, I really haven't experienced much pain either, besides ripping off the occasional callus. I just want to know if there's any way I can strengthen/use a preventive technique to not have a problem in the future.

HB: Thanks HB, I was thinking of Jerking it off the ground. I'm pretty sure that's what I did in the past, and when I felt the pain. I am now tight at the beginning of the lift and I suppose that's the best precaution to take before a deadlift.
I am working on the hips... lol @ the comment.

Thanks guys.

BigCorey75
03-04-2007, 08:16 AM
yeah dude, jerking the weight doesnt seem like a good option

id just grab the bar, get my position and get tight and make sure everyhting is right and just explode smoothly from the hips to move the weight, jerking the weight can cause a lot of problems, take it from your truly who has experienced back injuries from faulty dealift form

make sure ur tight anf smooth when u lift the weight

Adam
03-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Everyone's got it right here.
Put 'some' tension on the bar and get your whole body tight before exploding.
If your still new to deadlifting don't even worry to much about exploding, but ALWAYS keep your body tight before you deadlift.

Sensei
03-04-2007, 07:06 PM
You definately don't want to jerk the weight off the floor. What will happen is your body will be tense for the initial explosion off the ground and then relax and when it does, you will be risking a blown out back or worse....

Squeeze the bar off the platform. Not slow, but with maximum tension.