PDA

View Full Version : Fish Oil Belches

ianewilson
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Anyone else get these? The first time I took the fish oil capsules I burped and shortly thereafter almost vomited. Is there anything you can do to try and avoid these other than avoiding the capsules?

ADT
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Yes, burps are quite common from consuming fish oil capsules. Many on this site will agree with this. I occasionally get these as well. My suggestion would be to switch to a brand that advertises "No Burps" on the label. (Believe it or not, the label actually says this - so you could say burps are experienced by many people.)

That being said, I always take my capsules about 5-10 minutes before a meal.

Also use the search feature of this site. Here is one of many threads on fish oil and burping:
http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=43051&highlight=burps

My suggestions:
1) Switch to a brand that advertises "No Burps".
2) Take before eating.

Best,
Andrew

Clifford Gillmore
03-04-2007, 06:59 PM
Just take your tabs before/with a shake. I did the V-diet and took around 30 of the damn things a day, never a problem.

Lones Green
03-04-2007, 11:53 PM
yeah taking them in the middle of a meal helps, but even then i still taste them when i burp. maybe the worst thing ever.

ianewilson
03-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Taking them before or during a meal really helps but some times it still tastes like a live fish just swam down my throat.

TeamstockyScott
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
This happens because the brand you're using is selling you rancid fish oil (which is?). I'm pretty sure they all tell you on the label to take with food if you didn't know. I suggest you switch brands immediately. How they get away with this crap is astonishing.

Joshua Davis
03-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Look for brands that are "enteric coated" - never had a problem with them. Also, try to keep them in the fridge and pay attention to the expiration dates.

I take the ones made by bumblebee, as in "I love bumblebee, bumbleee tuna" - and anytime I have had a fish burp, it hasn't been uber rancid, just a little "ohh, that's a little fishy... drink your shake" reminder.

Blanche_Soprano
03-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Try a different name brand. I have to pay a little bit more to get the better name brand. Some brands don't use the best fish or the freshest oil. I agree on keeping them in the fridge, they will keep longer.

CaLLmeAhNuLd
03-11-2007, 10:56 PM
i freeze mine...dont have the burps hardly at all, but u get used to it neway

Guido
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I've never had fish oil burps so I must be using a good brand. Yes I've heard the enteric coated caps will eliminate the stench if you do burp.

bkplant
03-13-2007, 10:09 PM
As someone else suggested, take just before a meal to avoid the dreaded fishy burps. I find drinking milk with the pills helps too.

viperc8
03-19-2007, 04:26 PM
I kinda like the burps.. Maybe mine are milder or something.. haha

MagnaSephiroth
03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I was wondering where I was getting these burps that left my mouth tasting like I just ate a bunch of sushi...

BigEasy
03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I think it also depends on the brand.
I've been using Vitaminn Shoppe brand, and although I take them with a meal
sometimes I still get those nasty burps.
Just bought a bottle of Barlean's, see if anything changes.

MagnaSephiroth
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
I am eatting them before, and its still not helping very much.

beatlesfreak
03-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I kinda like the burps.. Maybe mine are milder or something.. haha

Right on! Fish oil burps are great. Just like eating sushi. Can't believe you guys don't like these.

:rolleyes:

TommyBoy
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Anyone else get these? The first time I took the fish oil capsules I burped and shortly thereafter almost vomited. Is there anything you can do to try and avoid these other than avoiding the capsules?

Stop taking them. I did and I feel great.

MagnaSephiroth
03-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Stop taking them. I did and I feel great.

Please tell me where you get your Omega 3 and 6

TommyBoy
03-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I eat fish.

the doc
03-22-2007, 01:42 PM
get a distilled fish oil

ianewilson
03-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I will look around for a better quality fish oil and see is it makes a difference. They haven't been bad lately if I take them with food. I really don't like the taste of fish so maybe that is why I find them so gross. The first time I had them I had to run to the airport and didn't have any food along wit them. Needless to say, 5 grams of fish oil on an empty stomach is enough to make me puke.

Cylint
03-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Enteric coated means it is coated with a substance that won't break down in your stomach but in your intestines instead. So, no burps because its still in the capsule when its in your stomach.

thzone1986
03-25-2007, 03:38 PM
sorry guys, I guess I'm kinda ignorant about this fish oil capsule business. I keep hearing people say they're taking them on a cut...

1) What are they for?
2) How do they help you when you're cutting??

Mark!
03-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Some experts believe that taking fish oil (in any form) can help regulate cholesterol in the body, because fish oil has high levels of Omega 3. The regulation occurs through effects of the EPA and DHA constituents on Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARα). Besides cholesterol regulation, benefits include anti-inflammatory properties and positive effects on body composition. However, the preferred source of Omega 3 should be from the fish's body, not the liver. The liver and liver products (such as cod liver oil ) of fish and many animals (such as seals and whales) contain Omega-3, but also the active form of Vitamin A. At high levels, this form of the vitamin can be dangerous. Early explorers to the land of the Inuit were given raw liver by the natives, which contained a toxic overdose of Vitamin A for the white explorers; however, the same amount was harmless to the Inuit, who had no other source of Vitamin A except animal livers.

Some studies[4] were conducted on prisoners in England where the inmates were fed seafood which contains Omega-3 Fatty acids. It was observed that the high consumption of these fatty acids led to a drop in the homicide rates. Another study was conducted in Finland where they found that prisoners who were convicted of violence had lower levels of Omega Three Fatty Acids than normal. It was suggested that these kinds of fatty acids are responsible for the neuronal growth of the frontal cortex of the brain which, it is further alleged, is the seat of personal behavior.

The American Heart Association recommends the consumption of 1g of fish oil daily, preferably by eating fish, for patients with coronary heart disease.[5]

The US National Institutes of Health lists three conditions for which fish oil and other omega-3 sources are most highly recommended (Grade A scientific evidence): Hypertriglyceridemia, Secondary cardiovascular disease prevention and High blood pressure. It then lists 27 other conditions for which there is B or C grade evidence. It also lists possible safety concerns: "Intake of 3 grams per day or greater of omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, although there is little evidence of significant bleeding risk at lower doses... Very large intakes of fish oil/omega-3 fatty acids ("Eskimo" amounts) may increase the risk of hemorrhagic (bleeding) stroke."[6]

According to a study from Louisiana State University in September 2005, fish oil may help protect the brain from cognitive problems associated with Alzheimer's disease. [7]

For purchasing fish oil dietary supplements, it is often recommended to seek a label certifying the product to be distilled, pharmaceutical grade fish oil, and free of mercury and other toxins.
Taken for Wikipedia

I started taking Fish Oil about a month ago, 4 pills a day, when I first started I got the belches bad, but read somewhere that if you just pain through it, it will go away, and sure enough, I just kept at it, stuck with the belches, after all Sushi is great to me. After that, they are very mild.

piff
03-26-2007, 08:49 PM
I think it also depends on the brand.
I've been using Vitaminn Shoppe brand, and although I take them with a meal
sometimes I still get those nasty burps.
Just bought a bottle of Barlean's, see if anything changes.

I take 10 Barlean's fish oil caps a day. Never once had a fish oil burp:thumbup:

thzone1986
03-27-2007, 06:17 AM
So how do Omega-3 fatty acids help you when you're cutting then? I thought the idea when you're cutting is to limit your fat intake more?